How to use two screens at the same time while I'm using FreeBSD.

According to Xorg.0.log you got two screens connected to each card, here are the parts from the log:

Code:
[   111.170] (II) intel(0): Monitor name: 2769M
[   111.170] (II) intel(0): Serial No: AFXG19A000434
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GPU-0 at PCI:2:0:0
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-0
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-1
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-2
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-3 (boot)
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-4
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-5
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-6
[   111.916] (--) NVIDIA(0):     DFP-7
[   111.963] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung SyncMaster (DFP-3): connected
[   111.963] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung SyncMaster (DFP-3): Internal TMDS
[   111.963] (--) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Samsung SyncMaster (DFP-3): 600.0 MHz maximum pixel clock

My thoughts on the current situation:

randr Multihead support has been introduced with release 1.5, and needs to be supported by the desktop environment. It looks like xrandr detects only one screen, so perhaps there is still some functionality lacking.

What is randr version?

Code:
xrandr --version

NVIDIA supports multihead with different cards, IF the NVIDIA card is primary and the 2nd card,most likely intel, uses the modesetting driver. Here was the issue that the modesetting driver didn't recognize your intel card.

randr multihead is the successor to Xinerama, BUT I don't find any information which indicates that Xinerama has been baked out meaning it might be still in there. So perhaps Xinerama is an option which needs further investigation.

Just out of curiosity, can you try the following, because if you can get across the horizon using your mouse then that screen can be addressed, so the remaining question is how:

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; xterm &
export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; xterm &
export DISPLAY=:1.0 ; xterm &
export DISPLAY=:1.1 ; xterm &

it worked ! with this command :

Code:
$ export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; xterm &
[2] 10763
[1]   Done                    xterm

the xterm has been displayed on the black screen monitor !

how can I start the full xfce4 desktop manager on the black screen ?????? maybe with :

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; startxfce4 ?

unfortunately not :

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; startxfce4

/usr/local/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0.1
xfce4-session: Another session manager is already running

You got two seperate screens, Xinerama should make it possible to move windows freely around.

The situation you are in right now, that's what I was referring to in my first post, back in the days, GUIs got an option where you could enter on which DISPLAY the window should appear.

so,what should I do ? actually it seems that I can run only xterm because it does not need Xorg to work. But xfce4 needs xorg,but since I already run one xorg session,it won't run another one.

so,what should I do ? actually I can run only xterm because it does not need Xorg to work. But xfce4 needs xorg,but since I already run one xorg session,it won't run another one.

Nope, whats happening right now, is that Xorg :0 got screen .0 and screen .1, but Xinerama is not configured so XFCE can't stretch to screen .1. Xinerama is basically a virtual screen combined of all screens configured in Xorg. The desktop environment (XFCE) has no knowledge about the number of screens and just uses the provided screen which in a Xinerama case concats all screens into one.

Using DISPLAY you can send any window on the 2nd screen:

Code:
export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; firefox

It does not work as expected. This command :

Code:
$ export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; firefox

starts firefox on the monitor attached to the intel gpu. Only this command startx xterm on the black screen :

Code:
$ export DISPLAY=:0.1 ; xterm

at this point I'm moved the mouse pointer inside the xterm window and I wrote firefox,but surprise : firefox has been displayed on the screen attached to the intel gpu.

Right now there are only two devices configured, each device needs a screen configured and then at last a server layout needs to be configured and in the server layout section Xinerama is enabled.

Sure, two options to proceed:

A) like already mentioned swap the 1060 and 2080 to make the 1060 primary and therefor intel gpu secondary and Xorg will probably fill in the rest by auto-configuration.

B) Go old school by using Xinerama, BUT adopted to /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d . This example Xinerama xorg.conf looks pretty good, just adopt it to your existing config. Keep the order of the file by splitting it in the section parts in single conf files. U can post those here for further evaluation and documentation.

I choose the option 1,since I've tried xinerama and I found it very uncomfortable. Basically two screens become 1. The problem is that the screens are not physically attached,for this reason this solution becomes not goot at all.

Back