HOW TO: Flash10 plugin, Firefox3 and FreeBSD 7.2 or higher

I installed Flash with the how-to above but when I open YouTube, I get

Code:
Mar 24 19:24:53 odyssey kernel: pid 63440 (npviewer.bin), uid 1001: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

and Firefox hangs for some seconds. Did anyone else get this error? I'm running 8.0-STABLE/amd64.

@volatilevoid

I got similar problems when Linux proc is not properly mounted.

Do % cat /usr/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo to check if it is properly mounted, you should get something like:
Code:
% cat /usr/compat/linux/proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 15
model		: 1
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q8300  @ 2.50GHz
stepping	: 10
processor	: 1
processor	: 2
processor	: 3
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 b19 b21 mmxext mmx fxsr xmm sse2 b27 b28 b29 3dnow
cpu MHz		: 2502.83
bogomips	: 2502.83

Hi vermaden,

thanks for your reply. In the meantime, I was able to fix this issue.

My linprocfs hasn't to be mounted on /usr/compat/linux/proc but on /compat/linux/proc. After changing this, Flash works as expected. Strange that my /proc lies somewhere else...

Just wanted to add that just like Volatiloid flash wasn't working for me when i had linproc mounted on /usr/compat/linux/proc
When I saw what he said and changed it to /compat/linux/proc it started working

Running 8.0 release amd64

Hi all,

I followed the online handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

, it seems everything installed fine from the ports (after portsnap fetch update, and aside from a small glitch where I had to make deinstall and make reinstall curl), except that it goes wrong in one of the last lines:

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

ln: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/: No such file or directory

After googling I seem to be the first person to have this :p

Would anybody happen to have any clues?

Thanks in advance :r

Caliante said:
Hi all,

I followed the online handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

, it seems everything installed fine from the ports (after portsnap fetch update, and aside from a small glitch where I had to make deinstall and make reinstall curl), except that it goes wrong in one of the last lines:

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

ln: /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/: No such file or directory

After googling I seem to be the first person to have this :p

Would anybody happen to have any clues?

Thanks in advance :r

You aren`t the first person who didn`t have that folder
I just created it and it works

After a lot of trouble during the last days this how-to did look difficult, but went through without a problem.
I had a short look at the handbook to understand the compat-part (of which i have never heard before). Great.
Like one of the posters above i got a bit of problems understanding if it is necessary to put:
Code:
sysctl_enable="YES"
abi_enable="YES"
into /etc/rc.conf? I searched the web and found an entry for sysctl_enable in one rc.conf-example file. So i edited mine that way. Not sure if that is right, but i got it up and running. Thanks a lot.

jalu said:
if it is necessary to put:
Code:
sysctl_enable="YES"
abi_enable="YES"
into /etc/rc.conf?

Yeah, the original post doesn't really say if it needs to be enabled on a permanent basis, but given that I want flash to work each time in firefox without additional effort from me, I just added those to my rc.conf . My root directory didn't have enough space for fitting the linux_base-f10 into /compat, so I had to symlink it to /usr/compat . Other than that, these instructions work flawlessly for even 9-current; yay!

Original post (the HOWTO) clear advises to start abi and sysctl for installation only. If linux_enable="YES" is in rc.conf abi will start at boot (see dmesg output).
So NO it is not necessary to have those entries in rc.conf.

/compat is already exactly a link to /usr/compat just open file manager and see yourself. Moreover this was already advised a few posts above.

The HOWTO works great, the only thing the author could change at the moment is to remove OVERIDE_... becaue fc10 is a default now, I don't have those entries in make.conf anymore and flash works even in Konqueror on 9.0-CURRENT.
Also it could be mentioned that emulators/linux_base-f10 must be installed first because it's not obvious for everybody.

Port not update linux-f10-flashplugin10?

Hello.

I installed it succesfully one or two months ago.

Today I've tried in other installation and get the next error (maybe adobe update its file and now has other size and checksum).

Code:
fetch: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz: size mismatch: expected 4050435, actual 
fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/flashplugin/10.0r45/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file 
not found, no access)

I don't know to correct it (if the problem is checksum and size). Could anyone help me? Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that the 'old' version of the Flash player was taken offline by Adobe very recently due to immediate security problems. Looks like they uploaded a new tarball, and that the port still needs to be updated with the new hashes.

Just downloaded install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz from adobe.com, extracted libflashplayer.so (v.10.1) from it and copied to /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10/flashplugin. Then run as usual:
$ nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so Plays fine.

I'd tried that zeiz says yesterday but I get the next error:

Code:
****** NSPLUGIN VIEWER ***** ERROR: libssl3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nspluginwrapper: no appropiate viewer found for /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

I have that file (libssl3.so) in /usr/local/lib/firefox3/ but I don't know where NSPLUGIN looks for it and whether this is the correct file (I've tried a ln -s in /usr/local/lib unsuccesfully).

nspluginwrapper creates new file named npwrapper.libflashplayer.so in ~/.mozilla/plugins directory. Firefox must look for this new file is to be symlinked if necessary.
I use Seamonkey but it shouldn't be a difference. We can try the following: you probably doesn't have /usr/ports/distfiles/flashplugin/10.0r45 folder , do you?
There are 2 files are present there: install_... same like you've downloaded from adobe.com and linux-f10-flashsupport-9.0.1.i386.tar.gz that's only 3.4KB.
I'm attaching this file and then you may try to create the folders in your ports/distfiles and then install both files like in tutorial (instead of just copying as I did):
Code:
# /etc/rc.d/abi start
# /etc/rc.d/sysctl start
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean
# exit
$ nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Attachments

• linux-f10-flashsupport-9.0.1.i386.tar.gz
    3.4 KB · Views: 288
With firefox3 installed, YouTube says my browser is no longer supported. And when trying to install linux-f10-flashplugin10, it says that there's a line somewhere that suggests I need a different version of linuxbase than the normal one or something else real strange.

Firefox 3.0.xx indeed is old and insecure. Uninstall it and install v.3.6.3 from /usr/ports/www/firefox (just "firefox")

Probably it says "/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10"

zeiz said:
Firefox 3.0.xx indeed is old and insecure. Uninstall it and install v.3.6.3 from /usr/ports/www/firefox (just "firefox")

Probably it says "/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-f10"

After installing the new version of the plugin, also refresh nspluginwrapper:
# nspluginwrapper -a -r
# nspluginwrapper -a -i

I updated ports with portsnap and found new /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10.1r53.
So I deleted all my temporary backup files in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/ and ~/.mozilla/plugins/ then
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10
# make deinstall clean install clean
# exit
$ nspluginwrapper -v -i usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
And restarted seamonkey with new flashplayer. Youtube happily accepted the changes :).

Thank you.

With the updated port works perfectly.

Zeiz, thank you for your time (I don't try with your answer because the port was updated yet and I'm not sure if the file was correct for AMD64. Maybe whether the emulation is i386, but I don't know that).

Thanks, it working.
One some pages firefox freezes, but after few seconds work again.
Is there a way to allow flash plugin only on pages i select ?

Back