HOW TO: Flash10 plugin, Firefox3 and FreeBSD 7.2 or higher

I believe that you require linux compat8 or higher for this to work. I'm using linux compat f10 and it worked fine first time.
If you need to update your linux compat then just google or search the forums.

As a rule of thumb for me when doing a fresh install... I always immediately add the following lines to /etc/make.conf before adding ANY ports:

Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f10
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f10

From then on, when I build any linux ports they will depend automatically on the fedora 10 core.

And that all I'm going to cover on linux compatibility other than MAKE SURE ITS RUNNING!!! add 'linux_enable="YES"' to your /etc.rc.conf file.

1: check the above.

2: add this line to your /etc/fstab

Code:
   linproc   /usr/compat/linux/proc    linprocfs    rw   0    0

3: mount your linprocfs by typing the following at the terminal as root:

Code:
mount /usr/compat/linux/proc

NOTE: If /usr/compat/linux/proc does not exist you made need to create it using the '-p' option!

4: start some additional linux services (this can also be set in rc.conf) by typing the following at the terminal as root.

Code:
/etc/rc.d/abi start
/etc/rc.d/sysctl start

5: if you havnt already.. (tsk tsk!) update your ports and install the following ports:

Code:
  cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean
  cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean

NOTE: As I am using the fedora 10 core emulation layer.. i am therefore using the f10 linux plugin. f8 users will want to use the f8-flashplugin10 port....obvioulsy.

6: close down firefox3 and find the file "libflashplayer.so" by typing the following at the terminal.

Code:
# find / -name libflashplayer.so
   /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Here is mine above in the npapi directory.

7: IMPORTANT.. at least I thought i was..... exit from super user mode and type the following command at the terminal:

Code:
nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

8: Open up firefox3 and type "about:plugins" into the address bar and hit enter. voila! your plugins should appear as Shockwave Flash.

9: Go back to Youtube!!!

Btw (seamonkey) and (gnash) here enable youtube.
Although practically no other flash site that I
have tried (5 or so).
(Both rebuilt after the libjpeg version bump)
And no linux compat. layer yet.

jb_fvwm2 said:
have tried (5 or so).

Same here. Next thing I try is Firefox2.exe running on wine, but It eats too much cpu and memory.

jb_fvwm2 said:
have tried (5 or so).

I used Gnash (or tried to) for several months as a alternative to flash on BSD but found it to be way to buggy.. many sites simply wouldnt play ball which led to either sloppy loads, buggy loads or just non operational sites.

No linux compat layer yet? what do you mean by that?

I'll try this one.

Not ready installing yet, but issues until now:

The "linux-compat" ports is actually called emulators/linux_base-f10-10
needed for build:
[cmd=]kldload linux[/cmd]
[cmd=]sysctl compat.linux.osrelease=2.6.16[/cmd]

Build breaks because rpm2cpio is not found:
[cmd=]pkg_add -r rpm2cpio[/cmd]
Then build breaks again on wrong filename:
[cmd=]ln -s /usr/local/bin/rpm2cpio.pl /usr/local/bin/rpm2cpio[/cmd]
(don't know if this is good but at least the file exists now)

I seem to not have a mount_linprocfs command, but:
[cmd=]mount -t linprocfs linproc /usr/compat/linux/proc[/cmd]

Then linux-f10-flashplugin10 breaks with:
Code:
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk", line 413: Malformed conditional (${cyrus-sasl2_DETECT}=="")
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.linux-apps.mk", line 413: Malformed conditional (${openldap_DETECT}=="")
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6256: if-less endif
"/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 6259: if-less endif
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

I need sleep now.

gr1ml0ck said:
I used Gnash (or tried to) for several months as a alternative to flash on BSD but found it to be way to buggy.. many sites simply wouldnt play ball which led to either sloppy loads, buggy loads or just non operational sites.

No linux compat layer yet? what do you mean by that?

It means that all I did was
Code:
pkg_add -r seamonkey
cd /usr/ports/graphics/gnash
make install && yell
or similar.
Sometime later, I discovered youtube worked.
(I forget if I configured paths after gnash, any)
"no linux compat layer" means I've never installed
any linux (like this thread mentions) compatability
ports.

You will not be able to use any linux compat functionality until you have successfully installed the emulation layer..

MG? Are you building the compat from ports or using pkg_add? What version of freebsd are you running? what WM are you using? I have a kind of cheat that I use to install linux compat during a fresh install.. maybe that will work on your box. I have never had the need to edit sysctl, nor create symlinks for any missing or removed files? If you dont mind installing skype (or any other linux ported programme) then all you need to do is make the changes (or create) /etc/make.conf as suggested in my post and simply build any linux based port.. it will them automagically build any dependent emulation with the criteria that you set in make.conf.

I use skype for comms with work collegues and so when I install that.. it also builds all of my linux compat for me for the fedora 10 core without me having to do anything other than edit make.conf, add 'linux_enable="YES"' to /etc/rc.conf and building skype from ports... hey presto.. i have working linux compat f10 within 20 mins on a decent connection and pc.

Keep getting Firefox freezing up for a good 20-30 seconds, then:
Code:
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_New() wait for reply: Message timeout
...in my terminal.. swfdec works but no audio on some things (like most youtube videos, though for some reason a select few work).... Haven't tried gnash.

Well I fixed the issue in my previous post. The issue, I *think*, was related to me upgrading the linux compat to f10, before removing/renaming /usr/compat/linux... so I had different versions of different files, etc...

So I removed everything related to the linux compat install (linux-f10-*), moved /usr/compat/linux to /usr/compat/oldlinux, reinstalled -f10, flash 10, and nspluginwrapper... and everything worked fine, including audio on flash (which some people I recall, had issues with).

Hopefully this can help someone, not trying to dig up an old post, but be informative and helpful in case someone else has the same issue :).

Following this guide I got flash half working in opera 10.00 -- sound works, but video does not. At least I can play some of my songs-on-youtube bookmarks :-D

after following this I get really big CPU spikes when I visit a flash page (YouTube for example), and see the following errors on the terminal, anyone have any light they can shed on this?

I get this when I first visit the site:
Code:
(process:4117): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.

I then get this when I close the tab for the website:
Code:
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Write() wait for reply: Message timeout
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** 
WARNING:(/usr/ports/obj/usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper/work/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:2236):invoke_NPP_DestroyStream: 
assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))
*** NSPlugin Wrapper *** 
WARNING:(/usr/ports/obj/usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper/work/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:1855):invoke_NPP_Destroy: 
assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))

Hello

I followed your tutorial and in firefox 3.5 I could not see flash plugin using about:plugins.

Then I did:
Code:
cd /usr/local/lib/firefox3/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

and now flash works.

Thank your for you tutorial and best regards. (you can update the tutorial with this tip)

The symlink I did in order for nspluginwrapper to work as advertised was the one indicated on section 6.2.3 of the Handbook

Under FreeBSD 8.X

Install the www/nspluginwrapper port. This port requires emulators/linux_base-f10 which is a large port.

The next step is to install the www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 port. This will install Flash 10.X, this version is known to run correctly under FreeBSD 8.X.

This version will require the following link to be created:
# ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so \
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/

Once the right Flash port, according to the FreeBSD version you run, is installed, the plugin must be installed by each user with nspluginwrapper:
% nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

My guess is that from 7.2 onward, this is the desired behavior.

problem getting flashplugin installed in 7.2

Are there any special tricks i have to perform to get f10 working properly in 7.2?

Code:
===>  linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32 bsd.linux-apps.mk test failed: The component openldap is not defined for LINUX_DIST_SUFFIX= (the 
corresponding variable openldap_FILE is not defined). This usually means that the current port should be used with non default linux base 
and/or infrastructure port(s).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10.

I get the above error when trying to install flashplugin.

Any info appreciated.

You're missing the lines in /etc/make.conf (see top of first post).

Please post the output of
Code:
pkg_version -v | grep linux

Hmm... Still think it's an /etc/make.conf issue. Do you have any spaces in those lines?

was a typo in the first thing, the NONBASE_PORT= should have been NONBASE_PORTS=

Of course i should have been clever enough to spot it :/

Thanks for the help, flash now works (even the iplayer!)

Impressive, think that was the last gating factor to being able to use FreeBSD as both a server and desktop.

Cheers

Figured out what I was doing wrong today. I am running 8.0-RC1 and I followed the original post pretty well only to find that mounting linproc in /compat/linux/proc is the solution for me. If it is mounted in /usr/compat/linux/proc like the original post says, flash will detect in the browser but not work at all.

Ok my turn.

I was using flash 9 with FreeBSD 8.0-RC1 upgraded from version 7.2-STABLE with linux compat f8.

With 7.2-STABLE it was working quite great , except sometime , i have to kill -9 npviewer.bin when firefox was frozen.

Then i upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 RC1 , it was still working but sometime firefox was crashing.

So i decided last night to follow this Howto , so i upgraded Firefox from version 3.0.3 to 3.5. I upgraded also from linux compat f8 to f10 by changing f8 to f10 in /etc/make.conf (before doing this i renamed usr/compat/linux to usr/compat/linux.old)
Then I followed this howto.
To build nspluginwrapper i had to deinstall several linux-xxx
Then at the end i achieved to build and upgrade all.
Firefox 3.5 is showing plugin flash 10 in about:plugins but
now ,youtube is showing black screen , firefox is freezing and .core is generated for firefox and npviewer.

May be i have to reboot , will see this evening as i m at work right now.

Personally, I would have removed all linux8 ports before changing the settings in /etc/make.conf and installing linux10.

DutchDaemon said:
Personally, I would have removed all linux8 ports before changing the settings in /etc/make.conf and installing linux10.

Well , i m afraid that it's now a big spaghetti dish , and i m thinking about formating and doing a fresh install

Back