HOW TO: Flash10 plugin, Firefox3 and FreeBSD 7.2 or higher

Missing text with Flash10

With Flash10 I have the problem that sometimes some elements of text are not shown in flash games. It is the same in firefox, linux-firefox, opera and linux-opera. What fonts should be installed for Flash10 or could it be some other problem?

>What fonts should be installed for Flash10 or could it be some other problem?

There are sometimes certain Flash pages not really compatible with the Linux version of the plugin. Fonts are usually embedded into the Flash file. Linux version of the plugin is quality-wise way behind the Windows version.

gr1ml0ck said:
I believe that you require linux compat8 or higher for this to work. I'm using linux compat f10 and it worked fine first time.
If you need to update your linux compat then just google or search the forums.

As a rule of thumb for me when doing a fresh install... I always immediately add the following lines to /etc/make.conf before adding ANY ports:

Code:
OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT=f10
OVERRIDE_LINUX_NONBASE_PORTS=f10

From then on, when I build any linux ports they will depend automatically on the fedora 10 core.

And that all I'm going to cover on linux compatibility other than MAKE SURE ITS RUNNING!!! add 'linux_enable="YES"' to your /etc.rc.conf file.

1: check the above.

2: add this line to your /etc/fstab

Code:
   linproc   /usr/compat/linux/proc    linprocfs    rw   0    0

3: mount your linprocfs by typing the following at the terminal as root:

Code:
mount /usr/compat/linux/proc

NOTE: If /usr/compat/linux/proc does not exist you made need to create it using the '-p' option!

4: start some additional linux services (this can also be set in rc.conf) by typing the following at the terminal as root.

Code:
/etc/rc.d/abi start
/etc/rc.d/sysctl start

5: if you havnt already.. (tsk tsk!) update your ports and install the following ports:

Code:
  cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean
  cd /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper && make install clean

NOTE: As I am using the fedora 10 core emulation layer.. i am therefore using the f10 linux plugin. f8 users will want to use the f8-flashplugin10 port....obvioulsy.

6: close down firefox3 and find the file "libflashplayer.so" by typing the following at the terminal.

Code:
# find / -name libflashplayer.so
   /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Here is mine above in the npapi directory.

7: IMPORTANT.. at least I thought i was..... exit from super user mode and type the following command at the terminal:

Code:
nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

8: Open up firefox3 and type "about:plugins" into the address bar and hit enter. voila! your plugins should appear as Shockwave Flash.

9: Go back to Youtube!!!

thanks once again here.
i find this is quite helpful, may i use parts of this in my blog.

regards,
jotawski

One additional note is that I had to uninstall swfdec-plugin to get it to work because it was the default. Disabling it didn't work.
Kevin Barry

Can't get this going on a new 8.0 system. Here's my specs:

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE
firefox-3.5.7,1
nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_4
linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r42

Everything seems to install fine without error:

Code:
# nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins
Install plugin /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so
  into /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
Auto-install plugins from /root/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /root/.mozilla/plugins

but when I go to about:plugins, Flash isn't shown. Any ideas?

The # sign appears to say you're running this command as root. You'll have to use it as the user who's actually using X/Firefox.

Jatawski.. you may of course share this information with as many people as you possibly can and get them onto what is possibly the best OS this side of mars lol.

Sremick... Yup.. for each user that uses FF on your system you must add the relevant plugin manualy AS THAT USER! Maybe I should clarify that on my previous posts.

DutchDaemon said:
The # sign appears to say you're running this command as root. You'll have to use it as the user who's actually using X/Firefox.

gr1ml0ck said:
Sremick... Yup.. for each user that uses FF on your system you must add the relevant plugin manualy AS THAT USER! Maybe I should clarify that on my previous posts.

Actually, I did notice that part, and had indeed run it not only as root but as my normal user account (the one I'm running Firefox under). So that's not the answer unfortunately.

Code:
$ nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Install plugin /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/libflashplayer.so
 ... already installed system-wide, skipping
Auto-install plugins from /home/scott/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /home/scott/.mozilla/plugins
$

This sometimes seems to help:

Code:
cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -a -v -i

DutchDaemon said:
This sometimes seems to help:

Code:
cd ~/.mozilla/plugins
ln -s /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
nspluginwrapper -a -v -i

Thanks for that. I didn't have a /plugins directory under ~/.mozilla so I made it first, then made the link per your instructions. It seems to be working now.

Perhaps this info should be added to the official instructions? This is a pretty virgin install.

when I do
Code:
 #nspluginwrapper -v -i /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

I receive the following error msg:

Code:
/usr/local/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-f10-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

I looked at my linux compat version and it matches 10. My FreeBSD is version 8.

halp need halp :(

Okay, figured that i had the wrong nsplugin version, it was 1.2.2. considering that only 1.3.0 works on firefox, which is listed in /usr/ports/nspluginwrapper-devel.

Did as suggested in the handbook

Code:
$ nspluginwrapper -v -a -i
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
Auto-install plugins from /home/fawz/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /home/fawz/.mozilla/plugins

When I open up firefox, and write there about:plugins, it's listed there that i do have shockwave flash 4.0, yet when i access youtube, it says like I don't have it.

idk what is happening...

fawz said:
error while loading shared libraries: libwhatever-x.x

I recently got that messages, so I reinstalled everything like that:
1. delete all ports with linux-* (connected to linux compat in any way)
2. add linux_base-f10 again package
3. add nspluginwrapper package
4. add linux-f10-flashplugin10 (by port or package)

Should work by then.

Since that's my 1st msg, just wanna say hi to all.
To the business.
I just followed this guide and everything is working fine (FreeBSD 8.0/amd64). But there's only one small problem.
I think my Youtube is on drugs, 'cause it's very fast. Cannot watch :)
What's wrong?
Thanx in advance.

weird...

Hi,

Can you tell me a little about your setup please (both hardware and system software) and I will try to see if I can replicate the problem.

And welcome to the party !!!!!

Gr1ml0ck

Hi there Gr1ml0ck,

SW is 8.0 amd64 RELEASE with gnome2-lite onboard. Few apps only. Nothing special. Basically i followed the guide and as i wrote before, works pretty well, but ..

HW E8400, 8GB RAMM, Asus P5Q-E.

Thanks.

Hi, i wanted to ask, in my FreeBSD 8.0 System @work with flash10, i can no longer see the time (seconds) of the video as it is played.
In my flash9 installation @home it shows this ok.
Any hints?

gr1ml0ck said:
Jatawski.. you may of course share this information with as many people as you possibly can and get them onto what is possibly the best OS this side of mars lol.

oh great,
i have, however, used it already but as a gift to one who can helps or donate somethings for baby who had accident in Lhamphoon, Thailand. and http://makham.blogspot.com/2009/12/beg-for-kindness.html here is it.

many thanks indeed.
best regards,
jotawski

achix said:
Hi, i wanted to ask, in my FreeBSD 8.0 System @work with flash10, i can no longer see the time (seconds) of the video as it is played.
In my flash9 installation @home it shows this ok.
Any hints?

Could it be a font issue?
Also i cannot see certain info in this site: http://www.honda.gr/cars/

Hi,

I tried to install flash on my FreeBSD 8.0. Did all the other parts, worked fine, but when i try to install linux-f10-flashplugin10 I get following errors:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean

=> Attempting to fetch from [url]http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/[/url].
fetch: [url]http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz:[/url] size mismatch: expected 
4044751, actual 4050435
=> Attempting to fetch from [url]ftp://ftp.se.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/flashplugin/10.0r32/[/url].
fetch: [url]ftp://ftp.se.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/flashplugin/10.0r32/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz:[/url] File 
unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
=> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
=> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/flashplugin/10.0r32 and try again.

Okay, I got the install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz from adobe, copied it to that directory, and still get this:

Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/linux-f10-flashplugin10 && make install clean

===>  Extracting for linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r32
=> MD5 Checksum mismatch for flashplugin/10.0r32/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz.
=> SHA256 Checksum mismatch for flashplugin/10.0r32/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz.
=> MD5 Checksum OK for flashplugin/10.0r32/linux-f10-flashsupport-9.0.1.i386.tar.gz.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for flashplugin/10.0r32/linux-f10-flashsupport-9.0.1.i386.tar.gz.
===>  Refetch for 1 more times files: flashplugin/10.0r32/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz flashplugin/10.0r32/install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz 

... and those errors that I got before, about file not found eg.

Is there a newer version and it doesnt understand it, or what am I doing wrong here?

Flash is at version linux-f10-flashplugin-10.0r45, so your ports tree is out of date. Run [cmd=]portsnap fetch update[/cmd] (portsnap(8)) and try again. Always make sure your ports tree is up to date before installing ports.

video but no sound

I followed this guide and videos play in FF and Seamonkey but no sound. No video or sound plays in opera it displays this message:

Code:
Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.

What can i check?

Also it says you can put these lines in rc.conf:

Code:
/etc/rc.d/abi start
/etc/rc.d/sysctl start

Is it required or are they saying you can just do it if you want to? I didn't understand that part. I tried it anyway but still no sound and nothing in Opera.

FreeBSD 8.0

about:plugins shows:
Code:
    File: libswfdecmozilla.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 9.0 r999

File: npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    Version: 
    Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45

The speaker icon at the bottom of firefox has red sound waves coming out of it and sound does work in other applications.

I'm also having problems with flash in Opera ever since the bump to 10r45. For me, flash has a tendency to hang the entire browser until I do a # killall npviewer.bin. If I go to, say, youtube, I'll get sound but no video. This happened around the same time I updated all my ports for the jpeg revision bump, which included nspluginwrapper. I don't know if it's the flash plugin itself or the wrapper, but it was working fine before that.

Back