HOW TO: Flash10 plugin, Firefox3 and FreeBSD 7.2 or higher

I followed the guide and it seems as though I've got flash 10.1r53, but when I go to youtube, I see a message saying i need to upgrade my version of flash.

Any ideas?

(I'm running 8.1 RC2 amd64 with firefox 3.6.4)

I just fixed the problem by copying the file "npwrapper.libflashplayer.so" from /usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/ to ~/.mozilla/plugins

(I had to create the plugins folder because it was not there initially)

Does anyone know how to make flash work on opera 10.60? (or any other opera)
I have it working for firefox, now i need it working with opera

If you're using Opera from ports just install www/opera-linuxplugins. For 10.60 you'll have to do it manually.

Download both the FreeBSD and Linux (choose i386 and "Other (TAR)") packages for the version you want. Extract them somewhere.

$ tar xjf opera-10.60-6386.amd64.freebsd.tar.bz2
$ tar xjf opera-10.60-6386.i386.linux.tar.bz2

Next we move the Linux version's operapluginwrapper to live alongside the native one.

$ cd opera-10.60-6386.amd64.freebsd/lib/opera
$ mv operapluginwrapper operapluginwrapper.freebsd
$ mv ../../../opera-10.60-6386.i386.linux/lib/opera/operapluginwrapper operapluginwrapper.linux

To tie it up, copy over /usr/ports/www/opera/files/operapluginwrapper which basically tells opera to load operapluginwrapper.freebsd if the plugin is a FreeBSD binary, or operapluginwrapper.linux if it isn't.

Note that with 10.60 Flashblock stopped working for me. Not a great loss though since Opera now has a built-in feature called "On Demand Plugin" which does pretty much the same thing. It can be enabled in opera:config.

The "pango -- integer overflow" vulnerability is keeping me from installing Flash 10, using FreeBSD 8.0. I'm going to wait until this is cleared up. This is not a double-post, because the other thread is specifically linux pango, but the linux pango integer overflow vulnerability I'm planning on just skipping on. I don't want to use DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES and just brush it off. I'm going to wait until it's updated or fixed, personally.

The vulnerability has already been fixed. The question is whether anybody is motivated enough to identify the commit and backport it to f10, which is unmaintained.

drp said:
The "pango -- integer overflow" vulnerability is keeping me from installing Flash 10, using FreeBSD 8.0. I'm going to wait until this is cleared up. This is not a double-post, because the other thread is specifically linux pango, but the linux pango integer overflow vulnerability I'm planning on just skipping on. I don't want to use DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES and just brush it off. I'm going to wait until it's updated or fixed, personally.

Andres said:
The vulnerability has already been fixed. The question is whether anybody is motivated enough to identify the commit and backport it to f10, which is unmaintained.

It seems I am suffering from this very thing right now; after extensive trouble trying to get my ports upgraded I have finally arived at the point where I have my GUI back and can continue to update the remaining ports. One of them being installing flash. Following the handbook when trying to install nspluginwrapper I get:

Code:
===>  Installing for nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/bin/sh - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/x11.pc - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xext.pc - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xt.pc - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0.2409.1 - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libcairo.so.2.10800.0 - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/lib/libexpat.so.1 - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.3.0 - found
===>   nspluginwrapper-1.2.2_7 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.7 - not found
===>    Verifying install for /compat/linux/usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.7 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2
===>  Installing for linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/bin/sh - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so.0.2409.1 - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libcairo.so.2.10800.0 - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/lib/libexpat.so.1 - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.3.0 - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62.0.0 - found
===>   linux-f10-gtk2-2.14.7_2 depends on file: /compat/linux/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0.2203.0 - not found
===>    Verifying install for /compat/linux/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0.2203.0 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-pango
===>  linux-f10-pango-1.22.3_1 has known vulnerabilities:
=> pango -- integer overflow.
   Reference: <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/4b172278-3f46-11de-becb-001cc0377035.html>
=> Please update your ports tree and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-pango.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper.

Would anybody happen to know a solution/workaround?

Thank you :e

Caliante said:
Code:
===>    Verifying install for /compat/linux/usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so.0.2203.0 in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-pango
===>  linux-f10-pango-1.22.3_1 has known vulnerabilities:
=> pango -- integer overflow.
   Reference: <http://portaudit.FreeBSD.org/4b172278-3f46-11de-becb-001cc0377035.html>
=> Please update your ports tree and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-pango.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-gtk2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/nspluginwrapper.

Would anybody happen to know a solution/workaround?

If you understand the vulnerability and can live with it, you can override portaudit:

# cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-f10-pango
# make DISABLE_VULNERABILITIES=yes install clean

There are more permanent ways to disable that, but I think it's a mistake to do so.

Back