How To Configure Ly Display Manager

I'm not able to configure the Ly disply manager on Freebsd.

I have these lines in my /etc/gettytab :
Code:
Ly:\
        :lo=/usr/local/bin/ly:\
        :al=root:

My /etc/ttys :
Code:
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Ly"         xterm   on secure

My /usr/local/etc/ly/config.ini: (I didn't change anything in this file beside that one line with tty)
Code:
# tty in use
tty = 0

# vt in use by X or Wayland
# vt = 9

I can log in in the shell, but with xinitrc, after some some of black screen, I get loged out. Any idea, how to configure Ly disply manager in FreeBSD?
I Installed it through pkg (8).

I had a look at the problem in a VM, there is a message in the virtual terminal where x11/ly is started, pointing to a permission issue, after trying to log in, and been confronted with a black screen:
Code:
exec: /home/<user>/.xinitrc: Permission denied

chmod 744 ~/.xinitrc

That lets log in as expected, but another problem arises. When log out from Xorg it doesn't return to x11/ly, Xorg must be killed, and x11/ly too to work correctly.

If you experience the same on your (bare metal) system, and insist on using x11/ly, I would open a PR.

... and insist on using x11/ly, I would open a PR.
I believe, if FreeBSD offers a software, the software must work or there must be instructions how to make it to work.

I'll try your suggestion and share the result here.
Yes, please do it.

if FreeBSD offers a software
Ports/packages are third party software. They are not provided by FreeBSD. Ports are created and maintained by volunteers, people investing their own time to create a port for an application. If you have problems with a specific port you contact the maintainer of said port or submit a PR (problem report).

Yes, please do it.
No, you misunderstood. It's what T-Daemon would do if he was in your position.

Ports/packages are third party software. They are not provided by FreeBSD. Ports are created and maintained by volunteers, people investing their own time to create a port for an application. If you have problems with a specific port you contact the maintainer of said port or submit a PR (problem report).
I know and I want to contribute voluntarily to make x11/ly to work on FreeBSD.

That lets log in as expected, but another problem arises. When log out from Xorg it doesn't return to x11/ly, Xorg must be killed, and x11/ly too to work correctly.
I had problems when logging out of ly, but I don't remember if it was the exact same problem. The logout overlapped and overwrote files that had to do with the window manager or Xorg. The desktop looked like a mess after logging out and there was overlap of the text from console, of ly and Xorg, until the files were fixed.

I had problems when logging out of ly, but I don't remember if it was the exact same problem. The logout overlapped and overwrote files that had to do with the window manager or Xorg. The desktop looked like a mess after logging out and there was overlap of the text from console, of ly and Xorg, until the files were fixed.
I've tested x11-wm/jwm and x11-wm/fluxbox on 13.1-RELEASE (VM), latest package repository. The problem here is after trying to 'exit' from the menu, in both WM all elements disappear (JWM - tray, Fluxbox - toolbar, open windows), the background of the WM remains, no mouse function existent.

The background stays until Xorg is killed from a virtual terminal. In x11/ly the cursor remains invisible until it's killed, which triggers a restart.

You had it from the beginning:
Following this thread I set tty=2 to /usr/local/etc/ly/config.ini while /etc/ttys pointed to ttyv1, then the DM was shown. It can be a linuxism since ttys starts at 1 or a misunderstanding on my part. Then I cannot start with exec /usr/local/bin/jwm in ~/.xinitrc. See note about .xinitrc.
.xinitrc
If your .xinitrc doesn't work make sure it is executable and includes a shebang.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
—Confucius

Back