How to change mouse scrolling acceleration parameters?

I can not change the mouse scrolling parameters.

I have a Logitech G502 mouse and when I scroll through long websites or PDFs, the scroll delays like 3-5 secs to actually start moving up/down. I would like the scrolling to take place instantly like how it should.

The Logitech G502 mouse has a heavy metal free moving scroll wheel, where a single slight flick to it will cause the mouse wheel to spin super fast for a long time on it's own, similar concept to a Fidget Spinner. I can scroll through hundreds of pages quickly in seconds.

It seems like KDE is doing some kind of Non-uniform acceleration where if you scroll the wheel too fast, the pages will not instantly scroll fast but rather slowly accelerate then after some 3-5 secs it will start scrolling pages fast.

Proper mouse scrolling should have a uniform acceleration (in my opinion). I found out that some applications uses uniform acceleration and most of the applications on KDE uses Non-uniform acceleration for mouse scrolling.

I assume some apps are ignoring KDEs default mouse parameters of some sort, not sure how the apps are able to do so.

I have attached a picture of the mouse settings and there are no advanced parameters for scrolling.

Here is my PC info:

Packages: 1255 (pkg)
Shell: csh tcsh 6.22.04
Resolution: 3840x2160
DE: Plasma 5.24.6
WM: KWin
Theme: Breeze [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
Icons: breeze-dark [GTK2], Adwaita [GTK3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: AMD FX-8350 (8) @ 3.991GHz
GPU: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
Memory: 27743MiB / 32684MiB

Thanks.

Screenshot_20220829_174823.png

I am using imwheel but it is super choppy and not smooth. I need to figure out how professional mouse with desktops scrolling are implemented properly.

I use a CDE(.dt/dtwmrc)/Motif(.mwmrc) function call:

Code:
        "select mouse"          f.exec "/home/cy/bin/mouse"

This runs the following script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh -

case $# in
0)    MOUSE=$(/usr/local/bin/xmessage -buttons M705,MX,IBM,default -print -timeout 60 -default default -nearmouse Select the mouse in use);;
*)    MOUSE=$1;;
esac

# M705: /usr/local/bin/xset m 4 6
# Performance MX: m 2 6 or m 3 6
# IBM mouse: m 5 2

case $MOUSE in
[Mm]705)    MM='4 6';;
[Mm][Xx])    MM='2 6';;
[Ii][Bb][Mm])    MM='6 2';;
*)        MM='2 6'; echo using default of $MM;;
esac
/usr/local/bin/xset m $MM

This prompts me to select whichever mouse I may have attached at the moment. The M705 and MX are sensitive while the old IBM mouse is wanting.

This is old-school and works regardless the desktop.

Reactions: mer
I need to figure out how professional mouse with desktops scrolling are implemented properly.
Do you have libinput installed? Have you poked around it?
libinput list-devices

xset, still doing it's job after all these years. I've been using it for the dpms settings a long time instead of screen savers

Back