[SOLVED] Logitech Marble Mouse and libinput

dansimon

I have tried to configure my Logitech Marble Mouse to enable middle-clicking (which I really need...). Although FreeBSD has libinput the instructions given in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Logitech_Marble_Mouse do not work. To be clear, I have added a file in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-libinput.conf with the following content:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Marble Mouse"
MatchProduct "Logitech USB Trackball"
Driver "libinput"
Option "ScrollMethod" "button"
Option "ScrollButton" "9"
Option "MiddleEmulation" "true"
Option "HorizontalScrolling" "false"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 9 3 4 5 6 7 2 2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
EndSection

But this has no effect (xf86-input-libinput is installed). Any ideas on how to do this..?

Martin Paredes

Can you replay with the output of dmesg | grep -i mouse and ps axw | grep -i mouse

You can also attach the /var/log/Xorg.0.log

olli@

Aspiring Daemon
Developer

I do have libinput installed (I didn’t do it myself; so I guess it was a dependency of something else), but it’s not mentioned in my xorg.conf.
The following works fine for all of my Logitech mice and trackballs – including the special features of my Logitech MX Ergo, i.e. vertical + horizontal scrolling with the “3D” scroll wheel, and the additional two buttons that can be used for the “forward” and “back” functions in web browsers, for example.
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
    Option         "Buttons" "11"
    Option         "ButtonMapping" "1 2 3 8 9 6 7"
EndSection

In /etc/rc.conf I have the following lines:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"
moused_ums0_flags="-A 1.75,1.5 -a 0.5"

Type ps auxww | grep 'mo[u]sed' to verify that it runs with the desired options. If it doesn’t, restart the moused service. Then start X.
You might want to adjust the acceleration settings (-A and -a options), the above values are perfect for me, but it depends on mouse model, screen size and personal preference. See the moused(8) manual page for details.

OP
D

dansimon

Sorry for a late reply, some other issues cropped up :)

Code:
$ dmesg | grep -i mouse
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
psm0: model Generic PS/2 mouse, device ID 0
$ ps axw | grep -i mouse
1016  -  Ss     0:00.09 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto
1266  -  I      0:00.07 hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse: /dev/psm0 (hald-addon-mouse-sy)
1461  -  Ss     0:00.21 /usr/sbin/moused -p /dev/ums0 -t auto -I /var/run/moused.ums0.pid
1476  -  I      0:00.07 hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse: /dev/ums0 (hald-addon-mouse-sy)
1808  1  S+     0:00.00 grep -i mouse

Perhaps I should reemphasize that my issue here is with mouse configuration. The basic mouse operations (moving, left and right clicking) works out of the box. But its a weird kind of mouse (see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/L...&do=get&target=marble-mouse-buttons-names.png), and it needs manual configuration to specify that button 8 and 9 work as middle-click, or alternatively that 1 and 3 clicked simultaneously (again see above link) work as middle click.

On Linux the command: xinput set-button-map "Logitech USB Trackball" 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 2 10 11 12 does this (or the xorg.conf.d file mentioned initially). In OpenBSD you have to use this command: xinput set-button-map /dev/wsmouse 1 5 3 2 2 6 7 8 9

As you can see the mouse name and the button numberings are different, I suspect there might also be some difference in these details in FreeBSD, but I dont know what they might be. Out of interest neither xinput -test "Logitech USB Trackball", nor xinput -test /dev/sysmouse, work in FreeBSD. How can I find out what my mouse is called in FreeBSD..?

Thanks for your replies guys :)

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    75.4 KB · Views: 6
OP
D

dansimon

Ah, wait I solved it! Finding out the name is a simple issue of running the command xinput. The correct command on FreeBSD is: xinput set-button-map "System mouse" 1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 2 10 11 12.

It has a "Logitech USB Trackball" device registered, but for some unknown reason adjusting this device has no effect.