Help for Skype 4.3

Hello,
Please someone to write from start to finish installation instructions Skype working under freebsdFreeBSD 10

Оf all my colleagues I only use freebsdFreeBSD and it is hard

Please HELP!

Is there an alternative to Skype for FreeBSD, but is compatible with Skype? There is no way I am gonna try to get mom to convert her computer to FreeBSD over the phone. :p

What about running Skype through Wine? Should that not work better? :)

Also, burkoff, if easy Skype use is what you're looking for in an operating system, I'm afraid FreeBSD might not be the best choice :(.

Potentially good news, Thanks for the update :). I hope this time it uses open-source standards so that we too get a piece of this VoIP cake.

Skype M$ Spy Messenger :D is available from a web page https://web.skype.com for now,
(personally I don' test it, because I don't use it (Jabber rullez! :D), but it works for a friend of mine)
so it seems you don't need to install any crappy software anymore.

UPDATE:
It doesn't start on my www/chromium and www/firefox browser with following message
90Dyr82.png

"Please try it on your desktop computer instead"
I'm using my "desktop computer" now, you moron! :D

But after changing my chromium user agent to
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/50.0.2661.102 Safari/537.36
(extension to change chromium user agent)
It works, but without calls (chat only), when I try to call, it suggest me to install this chrome extension, but it fails with following error —
hZw5ZpD.png

Maybe it is possible to download this extension, to edit something, and to install it manually…?
Maybe one day someone will create a hack or something…

Or if you try to use it with firefox with following user agent
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0
(firefox extension to change user agents)
then, when you try to call someone, it will suggest you to install "SkypeWebPlugin.msi" (chat is working ok).

As you can see in the pictures, on a machine with a windows®™ installed, this "*plugin.msi" should start some kind of a malware script, that will transform your FF browser into a hanged window with a skype logo, 4th picture should be with a "task manager" in it, to kill hanged process (or processes)… :D
vhIQWwl.png

So maybe it works with wine?

Or maybe they (M$) will start to provide full support for free :D for Free OS-es with their products?

P.S. GNU/Linux user agents work for web.skype.com in chat mode too…
e.g. "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:47.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/47.0"

So it seems that they (microsoft™ guys®) just ignore FreeBSD users by now.

P. P. S But I believe , after all, calls will work on GNU/Linux, because US government "big brother" Microsoft®™ Co want to hear and watch record all your conversations… even on Linux systems and especially on "Linux" devices ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Skype had announced the end of life of old P2P protocol, I've just tried skypeforlinux-alpha with emulators/linux-c7. After installing a couple of missing libraries I'm getting the following when run it
Code:
[17811:0209/224202:FATAL:zygote_host_impl_linux.cc(140)] Check failed: base::UnixDomainSocket::EnableReceiveProcessId(fds[0]).
#0 0x00000109855e <unknown>
#1 0x0000010ae7cb <unknown>
#2 0x000001fe0a8b <unknown>
#3 0x000001fe001f <unknown>
#4 0x000001fe05ce <unknown>
#5 0x000001caad2a <unknown>
#6 0x000001cb107f <unknown>
#7 0x000001caa4a6 <unknown>
#8 0x000001299e77 <unknown>
#9 0x000001298950 <unknown>
#10 0x000003487933 main
#11 0x000810421b15 __libc_start_main
#12 0x000000586cc9 <unknown>
Not sure what this means and whether it's possible go further...

May be someone doesn't know,
there is a very good alternative to skype, especially if you use facebook.
rHVlSG4.png

it is possible to use facebook for video calls, and it works very nice on FreeBSD,
I was very surprised when I first clicked this icon and saw, that it was working fine without any issues...

To use it, you need to enable webcamd daemon and to load cuse kernel module,
add
Code:
webcamd_enable="YES"
kld_list="cuse"
to /etc/rc.conf,
(Or if you use FreeBSD 10.*, install multimedia/cuse4bsd-kmod and add `kld_list="cuse4bsd"` instead.)
Also you need to add your user to webcamd group # pw groupmod webcamd -m username,
after attach your webcam if it isn't integrated and then reboot.
111.png

No! No plugins, just run www/firefox, navigate to facebook and make a video call!
(I'm using firefox-53.0.2,1 now and FreeBSD 11-STABLE and FB video calls works fine for me.)

Back