Graphics Driver for Ryzen5600+Gigabyte B550

I started on s clean slate, as a last resort, and things are taking shape. I's relying on Stable & Current for missing drivers. I now have both the onboard graphics and Geforce PCIe card working. I am still fine-tuning the system.

On trying to setup poudriere, I got this error:

Code:
$ poudriere jail -c -j 130SAmd64 -m git+ssh -v stable/13 -a amd64
--- _bootstrap-tools-lib/libopenbsd ---
cc  -O2 -pipe -fno-common -I/usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src/lib/libopenbsd  -g -MD  -MF.depend-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wno-uninitialized -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-empty-body -Wno-string-plus-int -Wno-unused-const-variable -Wno-tautological-compare -Wno-unused-value -Wno-parentheses-equality -Wno-unused-function -Wno-enum-conversion -Wno-unused-local-typedef -Wno-address-of-packed-member  -Qunused-arguments    -I/usr/obj/usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src/amd64.amd64/tmp/legacy/usr/include -c /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src/lib/libopenbsd/imsg.c -o imsg.o--- _bootstrap-tools-usr.bin/fortune/strfile ---
ld: error: unknown argument '--no-threads'
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [strfile.full] Error code 1

make[3]: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src/usr.bin/fortune/strfile
1 error

make[3]: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src/usr.bin/fortune/strfile

make[2]: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src
--- _bootstrap-tools-lib/clang/libllvmminimal ---

--- _bootstrap-tools-lib/libopenbsd ---

--- _bootstrap-tools-usr.bin/dtc ---

make[1]: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src

make: stopped in /usr/local/poudriere/jails/130SAmd64/usr/src
[00:08:06] Error: Failed to 'make buildworld'
[00:08:06] Error while creating jail, cleaning up.

What could be wrong? All current, releng & stable are failing.
I must have fixed it - my src.conf had linker/ld option set. I'm tired; otherwise I should have resolved it long ago too.

ld: error: unknown argument '--no-threads'
This is the line I'd pay attention to when trying to diagnose the error - it comes up pretty early in the output. But beyond that, getting adequate sleep does wonders for your ability to pay attention to what you're doing. The ability of people like us (i.e. hackers, gamers, programmers, anyone with an intense interest in squeezing the computers for all they have) to flout that piece of wisdom is the butt of jokes on Facebook/Meta, especially after that place lost a quarter of its financial valuation just this past week. :p

The RTX 2060 indeed flawlessly worked. Yet, it gave me some headache as Nvidia-settings would detect a second monitor but not display on it. The DP & HDMI ports on the card had an unused DP port between them.

Little did I know that there was just one way to resolve the problem. It is not by tampering with the OS, drivers, etc. The attempt to fix it took hours, whereas all I needed to do was to use the ports in an orderly fashion. Other cards had not behaved this way. Perhaps, removing & re-inserting (hot-plugging) into any port after Nvidia-settings detected it might work.

I forgot to mention that Gigabyte released a BIOS update to make Ryzen (5600G) effectively work with their B550 board in the last quarter or last year. Bios updates also help.

The last 1.5weeks have been hectic. In retrospect, is using worth such efforts? YES! As much as I wanted to jump ship [BSD to Linux] for Desktop, the sheer KISS Unix philosophy held me back countless times. I tested Jailed-GUI application, LinuxJail, and a few others during this expedition, and they worked though they needed heavy, consistent hacking.
All in all, FreeBSD performed tremendously well on. The old box did well with SSD Caching, L2ARC & LOG setup. I bet it a Linux OS would have brutally crashed a few times within the same period. Bectl, beadm & other utilities are handy tools for UNIX system migration. Thanks to the community and everyone that helped.

PCI hotplugging? Definitely not what you want.
Definitely not. But I am meant inserting the dp/hdmi cables between PC & monitors, when they are on. This is also frown at - can fry card. It was my last resort at the time...

DisplayPort and HDMI are both designed to be safely pluggable in powered state (just like USB). VGA and DVI aren't, although that is unlikely to cause any issues.

As for the detection issues, I have a monitor which only works with MiniDP if it was manually switched to that input within several seconds of my PC being started, otherwise it switches to other ports and then the video card thinks nothing is connected to it (the monitor is not and never has been in the auto input selection mode, that's just how well behaving hardware should work in Samsung's opinion). I can sympathize.

DisplayPort and HDMI are both designed to be safely pluggable in powered state (just like USB). VGA and DVI aren't, although that is unlikely to cause any issues.

As for the detection issues, I have a monitor which only works with MiniDP if it was manually switched to that input within several seconds of my PC being started, otherwise it switches to other ports and then the video card thinks nothing is connected to it (the monitor is not and never has been in the auto input selection mode, that's just how well behaving hardware should work in Samsung's opinion). I can sympathize.
Just have the monitor plugged in via HDMI/DP/Whatever and powered on first, and AFTER that, turn on the box.

Screenshot_2022-02-09_11-11-25.png

You have some custom configs applied, please try to remove them.

Back