Gnome 3 disappeared in FreeBSD 13 amd64 repo

I'm using FreeBSD 13 amd64, and the package server is pkg.freebsd.org.

gnome3 cannot be found in FreeBSD:13:amd64, but I can find it in FreeBSD:12:amd64 and FreeBSD:14:amd64.

I both tried quaterly and latest, but it doesn't seem to appear in both repositories.

I don't want to install it from port system because I don't prefer it.

Is it a bug or is there any issue with it in FreeBSD 13?

I just checked (FreeBSD 13, latest, same server), and it seems to be there:
Code:
❯ pkg search -r FreeBSD -o gnome3
x11/gnome3                     The "meta-port" of the GNOME desktop slimmed down for only the basics

I'm using FreeBSD 13 amd64, and the package server is pkg.freebsd.org.

gnome3 cannot be found in FreeBSD:13:amd64, but I can find it in FreeBSD:12:amd64 and FreeBSD:14:amd64.

I both tried quaterly and latest, but it doesn't seem to appear in both repositories.

I don't want to install it from port system because I don't prefer it.

Is it a bug or is there any issue with it in FreeBSD 13?

Yep, there is no gnome3 currently in quarterly because one or more application/s in that metapackage have failed to build.

Since gnome3 brings a lot of useless stuff anyway, i recommend you to try gnome3-lite.

Last edited:
I just checked (FreeBSD 13, latest, same server), and it seems to be there:
Code:
❯ pkg search -r FreeBSD -o gnome3
x11/gnome3                     The "meta-port" of the GNOME desktop slimmed down for only the basics
Thanks! That works.

but I usually installed gnome3, what is the difference between gnome3 and x11/gnome3?

gnome3 and x11/gnome3 is the same.

x11 is just the category.

Call a port with the category helps to have the right one directly in hand.

Code:
pkg install xfce4
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'xfce4' have been found in the repositories

Code:
pkg install x11-wm/xfce4
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
The most recent versions of packages are already installed

However, I cannot run gnome after I installed.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 10.13.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-02 at 10.13.29 AM.png
    512.3 KB · Views: 187
Same to KDE. If I click the blue range or my profile picture, just a black screen appears with a mouse cursor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 7.10.52 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 7.10.52 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 188
I'd like to help, but it doesn't seem to be an install on bare metal, so I don't know where to start looking since I'm not much into virtualization.

section 5.7 of Handbook

GNOME requires /proc to be mounted. Add this line to /etc/fstab to mount this file system automatically during system startup:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

GNOME uses D-Bus for a message bus and hardware abstraction. These applications are automatically installed as dependencies of GNOME. Enable them in /etc/rc.conf so they will be started when the system boots:

dbus_enable="YES"

After installation, configure Xorg to start GNOME. The easiest way to do this is to enable the GNOME Display Manager, GDM, which is installed as part of the GNOME package or port. It can be enabled by adding this line to /etc/rc.conf:

gdm_enable="YES"

It is often desirable to also start all GNOME services. To achieve this, add a second line to /etc/rc.conf:

gnome_enable="YES"

keep reading ...

Attachments

• 2021-10-03-101447_1920x1080_scrot.png
    2021-10-03-101447_1920x1080_scrot.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 167
It is often desirable to also start all GNOME services. To achieve this, add a second line to /etc/rc.conf:

gnome_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES" stops Gnome3/Cinnamon GDM from working at all on FreeBSD 13.1-BETA3. But there is no access to restricted system settings via GUI - date/time/locale; users and groups; etc.

So.... tried installing gnome port in my 13.1-BETA3.

Previously functional system won't start X - blank screen hang.

With gnome_enable="YES" and not gdm_enable="YES", GDM operates and system starts as before.

No other functionality bugs are fixed. Portmaster thinks a number of ports need updating. More when tested...

As far as I can figure, there are problems in dbus vs alternative for console kit and it is work in progress. Tried upgrading to later gnome with newer gnome-settings-daemon but only managed to hang the system.

cinnamon-settings-users error checking for authorization org.cinnamon.settings-users: gdbus.error:org.freedesktop.policykit1.error.failed: get_kinfo_proc() failed for pid 59705: no such process

Will read more about console-kit-daemon and policy kit and dbus. Guessing functionality might have been removed temporarily because of security vulnerability.

Now running 13.1-RC1. Not sure if it fixed anything.

New user has no .xinitrc file., so I commented mine out. GDM starts up but flaky on logout, sometimes crashes not consistently.

Gnome has working system sounds, Users and Groups, and can read Date/Time/Timezone settings. Cinnamon can't do any of those. Gnome doesn't like HPLIP system tray app. Cinnamon does.

Gnome 3 disappeared in FreeBSD 13 amd64 repo​

… gnome3 cannot be found in FreeBSD:13:amd64, but I can find it in FreeBSD:12:amd64 and FreeBSD:14:amd64. …

gnome3 (for 3) is dead (RIP, removed from the ports collection).

x11/gnome (for 41) is available for various platforms; see below.

fel1x would you like to add the Solved prefix?

Issues not related to availability can continue in more relevant topics.

Bluey re: KDE Plasma and Brave, please see <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/563120>. Re: HPLIP, <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/563122>.

<https://www.freshports.org/x11/gnome/#packages>

1649641690402.png

Back