FreshPorts

I stumbled across this post when searching for something entirely unrelated. I was completely unaware of it. It has been an entertaining read to see the extreme views of a 20+ year old website.

Happy to take patches for this. Happy to provide access to development environments for your use.

This has been provided in the past but no final work came out of it. They got logged in, started working, but no conclusions.

dvl@ :

I have to read the entire thread once again, but I have a point about Freshports:
The Freshports UI/UX is nice, usable and vintage. I like it. Please don't change it.
There's a lot of external pressure to modernise (whatever that means!) websites.
People love to modernise everything. I don't know why, and it looks like a trend.

Anyway, Retro rocks!

I've read the entire thread. I found four interesting quotes, which I agree with them, and they summarise my favourite approach, regarding web design:
The young people today seems to have an obsession with shiny things.
There is exactly one question one needs to discuss about web design: Whether to use emacs or vi to edit the plain HTML source code.
it is possible to use it even with console web browsers [...] IMO, no "shiny things" are required, because freshports is not an entertainment web site,
The web isn't about pretty, it's about information, to me anyway.

No. If it has no unicorns farting rainbows, it is unacceptable.

Cheer up. It has a rainbow border of sorts I never noticed before.

bling.jpg

Not that I'm complaining:

Just one complaint: my web browser seems to have ceased showing the entire background before any foreground content appears. I can't find an explanation in the code, so I guess that my browser getting better has reduced the fun.

Edit: better now. Thank you, Escape key …

1623782684662.png

I stumbled across this post when searching for something entirely unrelated. I was completely unaware of it. It has been an entertaining read to see the extreme views of a 20+ year old website.

Happy to take patches for this. Happy to provide access to development environments for your use.

This has been provided in the past but no final work came out of it. They got logged in, started working, but no conclusions.
Since that post, there has been a great deal of work on the HTML side of the side. Nothing dramatic in visual terms. Mostly in bringing the HTML up to HTML5 standards. This work has been done by

Document checking completed. No errors or warnings to show.
Used the HTML parser. Externally specified character encoding was UTF-8.
Total execution time 192 milliseconds.

Looks good to me.

When I switched between pages today I saw the colorbar bg for a brief moment before the page loaded, like in the shot grahamperrin provided but it looks like you do that with CSS.

Your CSS link at the bottom of your page shows errors:

I looked at it and you leave a space between each attribute.

Code:
*  {                                                        
box-sizing : border-box;                                
}

.holiday.pride  {                                                                                           
background : repeating-linear-gradient(#cc66ff 0, #cc66ff 2em, #ff6699 2em, #ff6699 4em, #ff0000 4em, #ff0000 6em, #ff9900 6em, #ff9900 8em, #ffff00 8em, #ffff00 10em, #009900 10em, #009900 12em, #0099cc 12em, #0099cc 14em, #330099 14em, #330099 16em, #990099 16em, #990099 18em);                                                                            
height : 100%;                                
}

That takes up space and makes it take longer to load. If you bring your elements together it will be a smaller file and load quicker:
Code:
*  {                                                        
box-sizing : border-box;                                
}
.holiday.pride  {                                                                                           
background : repeating-linear-gradient(#cc66ff 0, #cc66ff 2em, #ff6699 2em, #ff6699 4em, #ff0000 4em, #ff0000 6em, #ff9900 6em, #ff9900 8em, #ffff00 8em, #ffff00 10em, #009900 10em, #009900 12em, #0099cc 12em, #0099cc 14em, #330099 14em, #330099 16em, #990099 16em, #990099 18em);                                                                            
height : 100%;                                
}

… When I switched between pages today I saw the colorbar bg for a brief moment before the page loaded, like in the shot grahamperrin provided …

A few minutes ago, I found the background beneath a complete header (unlike the intentionally-interrupted header above) at the home page for more than thirty seconds. No complaint, because it's cheerful :) and the delay was exceptional. Subsequent loads of the page took less than a second.

I'll take a look at it and see what I can do. It shows the errors, I may have to find the right property it wants:

Code:
44     .maincontent p     Property margin-block-end doesn't exist : 0
187     table.maincontent td > *:first-child, .commit-list td > *:first-child     Property margin-block-start doesn't exist : 0
334     li#configureplist-Extra     Property padding-inline-start doesn't exist : 0
400     dd.required     Property margin-inline-start doesn't exist : 30px
407     dt.pkg-plist, dd.pkg-plist, dt.pkgname, dt.flavors     Property margin-inline-start doesn't exist : 0
414     dt.notice     Property margin-inline-start doesn't exist : 0
428     ol.required, ol.depends, ol.mastersites     Property padding-inline-start doesn't exist : 0

Back