FreshPorts

Im not complaining, think this looks readable? Or how text'ish do you want it to be.
As I said earlier, there are ways of making websites so it differences between browsers you are using.

Thats why I dont understand why it needs to look old.
Not to compare to much but seems like linux websites looks a bit more well designed. I know its an independent website from FreeBSD but most people use Freshports so you kind of associate it with being a "Part of FreeBSD"

If you are new to FreeBSD and you visit Freshports you are probably thinking "what is this old crap, are they stuck in time" or "wow, these people are focusing so much on good content so they dont have time updating their site" ;)

Look at post #27, Freshports site looks a lot better.

But I understand now that there is no reasoning with you. "Old crap" for "functional, yet simple". This ends all discussion for me as you just disqualified yourself. Have a nice life.

Its totally fine, its not my webpage. I just think that it could look better :) but not over functionality, no. I totally agree on that part.
I know its not the same area, but when it comes to color etc, I think this forum looks great. Not that im using this in console though ;)

Your new design would work on a purely text-based browser that has no graphics available to it? That would be a huge surprise
Freshports does so that should be no surprise.
basically no newly designed website does
As much as possible, we pay no attention to graphics during the building of a new site. The HTML guy gets a copy of the design from the graphics guy and builds from that but often doesn't even pay attention to graphics at all, initially. HTML describes the structure of the document just like when you did outlines in school when you learned to write papers. It also sets up all your links and buttons. None of that needs graphics to work. That should also tell you just how important the initial HTML writeup is.

But I understand now that there is no reasoning with you. "Old crap" for "functional, yet simple". This ends all discussion for me as you just disqualified yourself. Have a nice life.

Sometimes its hard to grasp the fact that thing can be done different, we see it all the time with elder people not understand a cellphone and so on. You might be a part of that generation.
You can have your opinion that I disqualified myself, that's okay. The good old "have a nice life" seems a bit harsh. Its an off-topic discussion.

You asked if its functional I gave you some screenshots, doesnt it look functional? You are having an opinion that its not possible to make it functional yet look modern which is quite wrong.
Why would it be impossible? Im not following. And im trying to have a nice life.

I am running lynx on openbox and it is a screenshot.
lynx-0.png

Face it - freshports is broken. Lars is right - the web site is hard to read, the search functionality doesn't work well, and much of the content is obsolete. I've stopped using freshports, I have more success installing directly from tarball using the authors instructions. This is the 'functionality' you defend?

This whole thread points out what is wrong with this forum. Someone has an idea to improve somethig, and you shoot it down because you don't like change. Someone else asks for help and gets derided.

Y'all sound like a bunch of luddites. Do you also protest against velcro?

FYI, thread is 2 years old and I only protest velcro on shoes 🤣 . On a more serious note, I use fresh ports all the time, but only when my FreeBSD box is off and I need to reference a port's location or info on it. Sure, the site is ugly but who cares? The web isn't about pretty, it's about information, to me anyway.

Face it - freshports is broken.
No it's not.
the web site is hard to read
No it's not.
the search functionality doesn't work well
Agree.
much of the content is obsolete.
No it's not. It's taken directly from the FreeBSD source.
This whole thread points out what is wrong with this forum. Someone has an idea to improve somethig, and you shoot it down because you don't like change.
Too often people want change for the sake of change but also too often they aren't the one who has to do the work. Are you willing to do the work?

much of the content is obsolete.
You must be using a different site than me.
Freshports is where I go to see all the releases of a program and the programs dependencies.

Using tarballs is just plain wrong and unsecure. With that method you have to go to each authors site to upgrade for each program.
Using our pkg system you can upgrade all your programs and even do a security audit for vulnerabilities.
Tarballs from the author means you have no way of knowing what you installed on your computer. No central accounting system.

Tarballs from the author means you have no way of knowing what you installed on your computer. No central accounting system.

If FreeBSD had unlimited resources and porters to ensure that the latest distfile is correct then yes, however often a porter will just bump the version number and do a test compile and run. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the distfile doesn't contain dodgy spyware code. It is not their fault; many people do not have time to audit code (for free).

Directly downloading the tarball from an authors site would be really powerful in terms of a decentralised system. Unfortunately very few people write code in a portable way and the following classic instructions are basically a joke.

Code:
./configure
make
make install

There are often many patches for FreeBSD to fix Linuxisms but interestingly there are many patches for Linux to fix "Distroisms" too and there always have been.

Ports are the closest we can get to a decentralized system because we still download the distfiles from the authors site but then fill it with patches ;)

I don't really like centralised Linux package managers; technically I don't see it as much different from DRM. I feel that a UNIX-like OS designed to be offline could be of great interest. Currently I just grab the 80+gig repo every 6 months and be done with it but that is not really that scalable.

Having and listing obsolete ports is a service. How many times have people asked on this forum for such thing on their older systems. And how many times do people come on here and ask, "Where did XXX go?". Freshports is a source for that information.

I have a feeling this thread is on a roll over a troll's comments.

I don't understand why there was an accusation of arguing. And why it was brought up 2 years later. For many things, that's fine to bring something up 2 years or more later, but not to make a big deal out of nothing, or to stir up controversy where there was none. Sounds like a Linux fan.

I have a little question.
Freshport find all information from /usr/ports or there is an another data source ? (I am just curious, I am happy with Freshport, even if improvements provavly can be done)

Back