FreeBSD won't boot when manually partitioning the disk

Hello,
I don't understand why FreeBSD won't boot when I choose to manually partition the disk during the installation process. The FreeBSD installer does the following when choosing "Auto (UFS)":
Captura de pantalla -2020-10-22 21-19-59.png

However, if I try to manually partition it like this:
Captura de pantalla -2020-10-22 21-21-22.png

FreeBSD won't boot afterwards:
Captura de pantalla -2020-10-22 21-24-21.png

I thought it was because I was putting the swap partition first, so I tried manually creating a freebsd-boot partition first like this:
Captura de pantalla -2020-10-22 21-27-25.png

But that won't work either, because that yields an "Invalid argument" error. Could anyone tell me why the boot process fails when I manually partition it with swap as the first partition? And why can't a freebsd-boot partition be created in MBR? I can create it without troubles using GPT.

Thanks in advance.

freebsd-boot is only used for GPT scheme. See gpart(8)
It's the second stage after pmbr when you boot in legacy BIOS mode (or CSM) on a GPT scheme.

Your first question needs more reflexion. What is the machine you use? qemu VM ?

The outputs you see come from boot2 program. It's supposed to load /boot/loader. I don't know why it fails (of course, this file exists). Maybe it expects that it is located in the first partition or there is too much space between boot2 and this file (4 GB in your case) or it can be another reason.

I suggest you to stick to GPT scheme and, if possible, EFI booting. You will have less trouble.

Back