FreeBSD will no longer boot (RPi)

gtf21

(Am new to BSD, and use archlinux as my daily driver)

I was trying to configure FreeBSD 13 on my Raspberry Pi 4 for use as a home server. It no longer boots, and I suspect the reason is changes I made to `/etc/fstab` but I'm not totally sure. When it boots it hangs here:

IMG_3481.jpg

The problem is that I have no idea how to get past this, especially as I cannot boot to USB on a raspberry pi without Raspbian (which is really absurd) and on Linux I cannot mount UFS as RW, only as RO.

Any help would be much appreciated, bit of a last-ditch attempt.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Looks like your filesystem got corrupted. Boot to single user mode and run fsck -y.

OP
G

gtf21

I tried booting to single user mode as per the documentation by running `boot -s` from the loader, but it still froze without giving me a login prompt. The weird thing is that I can still see device events, for example if I plug or unplug a USB peripheral it comes up, so the system isn't frozen, it's just not getting past a certain stage.

ronaldlees

Aspiring Daemon

I wonder what changes you made to your fstab? You could always try booting another computer with FreeBSD and do the fsck from there ...

Phishfry

Beastie's Twin

Most Arm images use disk labels in fstab from my experience. So start there.
Mount the stick on a secondary machine and exploit.

Did you have to intervene at Uboot to boot from USB stick? Maybe its looking for mSD.

mark_j

Daemon

Your easiest way to fix this:
Load up FreeBSD in a VM (VMWare/VirtualBox), remove the USB that's attached to the RPI4 and mount it in the VM.
eg mount /dev/da0p1 /mnt
Then cd /mnt/etc and edit the fstab removing any/all your offending changes. Transfer back to the RPI and rinse/repeat until fixed.

bakul

Is your root on an sdcard? If so and it is running ufs, can you mount it readonly on Linux? If so, let us know what /etc/fstab says.