freebsd-update to 11.2-RELEASE fails to boot/reboots

I can't launch X on fresh 11.2 install with a GeForce 320M (Mac Mini 2010) even after installing nvidia-driver-340 via ports.

On startx the system reboots and Xorg.log says "Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module" (and "no screens found"), nothing else in other logs that I can see. I have tried with both a minimal xorg.d conf file and with nvidia-xconfig.

I'm starting to think, based on other posts, this is an unsupported card. Does anyone have related experiences?

I had the issue with virtualbox. Now, I have rolled back the upgrade, but cannot start virtualbox services, due to some modules still not loading. Here is what I get:
Code:
KLD ums.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
KLD uhid.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
KLD uhid.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
em0: link state changed to UP
KLD netgraph.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
KLD vboxnetflt.ko: depends on netgraph - not available or version mismatch
KLD netgraph.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
KLD vboxnetflt.ko: depends on netgraph - not available or version mismatch

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

Re-reading the error messages again makes me believe that the rollback might not have gone as smoothly as it seems. The errors indicate a mismatch between the kernel and the kernel modules. At first I thought that this was only limited to the added (Virtualbox) modules, but modules such as uhid.ko and ums.ko are actually part of the kernel itself.

Did you build your own kernel or do you use the GENERIC (default) kernel?

I think this should be solvable by re-installing the kernel.

I used the GENERIC kernel.

When I rolled back, I just used the freebsd-update rollback command and rebooted.

I notice that my /boot/kernel directory has files all dated from the day I did the original upgrade to 11.2-RELEASE. I.e. a few days ago. My /boot/kernel.old directory has files all dated previous, mostly August 19, 2017.

It's worth noting that Google dates the 11.1-RELEASE announcement web page as July 26, 2017. So that August 19, 2017 date is probably when I did the binary upgrade to 11.1.

Can I simply mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.11.2 and mv /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel and then reboot?

I'd first start by simply selecting the 'kernel.old' image from the boot menu and see if that fixes the problem.
So when you just start the server you get into a menu with a FreeBSD ASCII logo and all, that menu allows you to switch between the normal kernel and the backup. I don't know from mind but I think it's option 5 or 4. If that works then you can always swap out the directories.

Thanks, that resolved my issue. Here is a summary of what I did to get back up and running with virtualbox...
  • Boot the machine with an installer CD or USB stick and drop to the shell.
  • Mount the usual boot volume with something like mount /dev/ada0p2 /mnt.
  • Edit the /mnt/boot/loader.conf file to comment out the
    Code:
    vboxdrv_load="YES"
    line.
  • Edit the /mnt/etc/rc.conf file to comment out any virtualbox-related lines.
  • Reboot the machine to its usual boot drive.
  • Run # freebsd-update rollback.
  • As part of my troubleshooting, I re-installed all of my packages. Not sure if this is required or not.
  • Restore the previous kernel: mv /boot/kernel /boot/kernel.11.2 and mv /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel.
  • Test loading the required module: # kldload vboxdrv.
  • Re-enable virtualbox-related stuff in /boot/loader.conf and /etc/rc.conf.
Many thanks to ShelLuser and the FreeBSD Forums!

Back