freebsd-update to 11.2-RELEASE fails to boot/reboots

I read a couple of people updated just fine so I updated one of our servers without issue but, when I updated my workstation, it gets as far as bringing up the eight CPUs on my system, then blurts out some hex code too quickly for me to read, and reboots. I am unable to get into single user mode but I can get into the console.

I was able to boot into kernel.old and everything works fine there. Reading some other threads, it seems freebsd-update rollback should have brought me back to version 11.1, I thought, but now the system complains that /etc/fstab does not match the version or doesn't exit (I think). I didn't find any other error messages anywhere. So I'm back on kernel.old and not sure what to do.

One thought is to remove everything from /var/db/freebsd-update and try to upgrade again, (there is a rollback file in there now), but I don't know if that's the proper way to do that. I have my files backed up but I'd rather find the way around this issue than reinstalling.

I'd like to know which mailing list would be the one to ask about this there, too, if anyone knows. It's not obvious to me.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about /boot/kernel and /boot/kernel.old but I've never had to do this before. First time freebsd-update failed for me.

Correct me if I'm wrong. I should be able to copy /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel, reboot and I'll be back with 11.1-RELEASE as the default and everything should be just fine, right?

If so, then I will delete everything in /var/db/freebsd-update and try freebsd-update upgrade again. Sound like a plan?

I should be able to copy /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel, reboot and I'll be back with 11.1-RELEASE as the default and everything should be just fine, right?
That should work, but it's better to choose your kernel by editing /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
kernel= "kernel.old"
kernels="kernel kernel.old" # will let you choose at the boot menu
This will only set the kernel to be the one of 11.1-RELEASE. freebsd-update rollback, as you mentioned, is supposed to be the command to use.
It's a good idea to copy your kernel.old to another directory, so it won't be replaced each time you try to upgrade.

Moving boot/kernel.old to boot/kernel and deleting /var/db/freebsd-update. Tried freebsd-update again and again I get the same issue above where it keeps rebooting at the same spot.

I recently started to install win10 in bhyve. If anyone thinks it matters, changes made to /boot/loader.conf are
Code:
vmm_load="YES"
if_tap_load="YES"

I recorded the output of boot with my phone. It happens so fast it was even hard to capture the frame that shows the problem. There was a panic and it involves emulators/virtualbox. There is a comment in the release notes about VirtualBox which I don't recall as I type this. I question whether it conflicts with my install of bhyve, too, as I mentioned earlier. I'm going to comment out both in /boot/loader.conf to see if that makes the upgrade work.

jrm@ Well that explains that. I removed all the stuff in loader.conf and rc.conf, was able to get to the login prompt now, but when I run startx, the system reboots. Yes, I have nvidia.

Since I want to replace virtualbox with bhyve, does that issue still affect this with bhyve?

No, I don't believe bhyve will be a problem. Also, if byhve doesn't work out, you can build emulators/virtualbox-ose-kmod directly on the target 11.2 box and the system will load that kernel module.

The same goes for the Nvidia driver. If you can get it built directly on 11.2, I think it will load.

I'm going to try installing VBox on one of the laptops I upgraded today, and will, if I have time to actually do it, report back later.

EDIT: On a laptop (old L420 Thinkpad) that had been upgraded ( by source) from 11.1 to 11.2, I installed VirtualBox and guest additions and everything was fine. So for me at least, it could be installed once the system was upgraded without problem.

After reading some info that all of this is intertwined with nvidia drivers, I though that maybe reinstalling nvidia might make 11.2 work. That was a mistake. I'm not on version 11.1 but nvidia can't find the screens (it complains).

I've uninstalled virtualbox and kmod but, this morning, I don't recall if I reinstalled nvidia-driver again so I'll try that. Wife is going out of town tomorrow for the weekend and I really, really didn't want to spend that time trying to fix my workstation.

I do sympathize. I don't have a sacrificial NVidia machine to test with at this point. But I think most of us can remember an upgrade that went completely horribly.

So, as of right now, it seems that one has to build the NVidia driver from the port once they've upgraded, and possibly even on a fresh install. (Mentioned in comment 3 in the bug)

To correct an error I said earlier, I installed the wrong driver for nvidia during all this and I am now able to use my workstation with 11.2-RELEASE. I have an older graphics card and forgot to install the older driver.

I have not re-installed virtualbox due to the problems with it but my intention is to switch to bhyve anyway.

Glad to hear you won't lose your weekend.:)
Did you have to install it from ports or did you use the pkg version and find it working?

I have an issue when new kernel couldn't start modules, I used the old kernel but I don't know how to fix the freebsd-update rollback:

Code:
root@star:/home/user # freebsd-update rollback
Uninstalling updates...Update files missing -- this should never happen.
Re-run '/usr/sbin/freebsd-update fetch'.

root@star:/home/user # freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 11.1-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Fetching 1 metadata files... failed.

I had the same problem with VirtualBox. I uninstalled VirtualBox (virtualbox-ose, and virtualbox-ose-kmod; version 5.2.8_1) after removing the aforementioned packages, I was able to proceed with the upgrade from 11.1-RELEASE to 11.2-RELEASE.

There is a comment in the release notes about VirtualBox which I don't recall as I type this. I question whether it conflicts with my install of bhyve, too, as I mentioned earlier.

bhyve requires the vmm kernel module, and virtualbox does not work if vmm is loaded. So, aside from all of the issues discussed here about virtualbox and nvidia on FreeBSD 11.2, virtualbox and bhyve can live on the same box, but they can't be run at the same time, and which one works at any given time depends on whether the vmm module is currently loaded. Personally, I normally have my rc.conf set up to load everything for both bhyve and virtualbox, which means that bhyve works without doing anything but that if I want to start virtualbox, I have to kldunload vmm (and then if I want to run bhyve after using virtualbox, I have to kldload vmm).

Just ran into the same issue after upgrading my Thinkpad. Commenting out the vbox entries in /boot/loader.conf and /etc/rc.conf fixed it.

1. Boot from a USB stick or DVD
2. Select Live CD
3. Log in as root
4. mount /dev/ada0p2 /mnt
5. vi /mnt/boot/loader.conf
Comment out vboxdrv_load="YES"
6. vi /mnt/etc/rc.conf
Comment out vboxnet_enable="YES"
7. reboot

Thanks for sharing your experience here. Turned a scary situation into a very easy fix...

i had same problem ,restored kernel files ,delete upgrade folder ,commect out as mension above the conf files and tryed again to run : freebsd-update upgrade -r 11.2-RELEASE

and at some point i get notifications for lot of files like this one :
Code:
he following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in                                                                                                   

FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE: /boot/device.hints                                                                                                                       

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y                                                                                                                             

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in                                                                                                   

FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE: /etc/apmd.conf                                                                                                                           

The following file will be removed, as it no longer exists in                                                                                                   

FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE: /etc/autofs/include_ldap                                                                                                                 

is this normal ?

I read a couple of people updated just fine so I updated one of our servers without issue but, when I updated my workstation, it gets as far as bringing up the eight CPUs on my system, then blurts out some hex code too quickly for me to read, and reboots. I am unable to get into single user mode but I can get into the console.

I was able to boot into kernel.old and everything works fine there.

I have completely the same situation, it's rebooting with 11.2 kernel,
and I'm not able to boot, I tried to upgrade to 11.2-RELEASE using freebsd-update
also I tried to build 11.2 world and kernel from source — the situation is the same,
it reboots on boot, but 11.1 kernel boots fine without any issues.

I also experienced the issue with VB in the release candidates.
But, after removing nvidia-drviver and virtualbox ports, now I'm able to boot into 11.2.
Also, after rebuilding nvidia-driver port and rebooting, I'm able to use Xorg. And after rebuilding
virtualbox-ose-kmod port and rebooting, I'm able to use virtualbox as well. So remove
all virtualbox and nvidia stuff, boot into 11.2 kernel, rebuild these ports and reboot,
all should work fine. It's good that this forum exists :)

Maybe a tip, I don't know:

Code:
PORTS_MODULES=x11/nvidia-driver
See, I had 0 problems upgrading, not even with the nvidia driver, and I can only conclude that this line probably saved me a lot of hassle.

You need to add it to /etc/make.conf and it will make sure that your system will also rebuild the port(s) you mention here whenever you build a new kernel. So after I had finished building my new kernel my system made sure that the nvidia driver had also been updated.

So I never had any problems booting.

Back