FreeBSD Screen Shots

Hello. It is in Xorg package.

Because it's a useful program, especially for those who use minimal window managers that don't have taskbars.

But why Linux tends to suppress X11 application(s) from many distros and desktops. Seems to me that FreeBSD will follow up.

But why Linux tends to suppress X11 application(s) from many distros and desktops. Seems to me that FreeBSD will follow up.
I do not think that it is Linux related. The desktop people might want their stuff in their own appearance. But I am quite confident that you still can run xteddy or xfishtank on Linux using any of the availabe window managers. May be one day there is a missing dependency on Linux due to systemd...

Hello again :) I can't say anything about all Linux distributions, but I'll tell you about Debian. In Debian X11 application(s) are installed by default. I mean xclock, xcalc, xeyes and others. For such small reasons, I liked Debian.

I do not think that it is Linux related. The desktop people might want their stuff in their own appearance. But I am quite confident that you still can run xteddy or xfishtank on Linux using any of the availabe window managers. May be one day there is a missing dependency on Linux due to systemd...

What we will do then? All Linux developers, missing old X11 environment, will move to BSD and it will influence dev to go for fancy, shining desktops.

xfishtank is really beautiful on the desktop.
xfishtank eats up my cpu like nothing. It is really relatively high cpu and resource software.

There were water waves on the root of the desktop, at some points. That was possible in the past. nice effects, but too cpu demanding - with mouse click possibilities.

I have never used a Linux distro that DIDN'T have the basic X programs.
What about Ubuntu Desktop, there isnt much any X anylonger.

Anyhow nice to see X11 apps or remember them.

I remember when cwe could install xpenguins and all those add one, with simpsons. that was beginning of Unix at that time. easly ages. Motif was famous, and x11 was newly discovered.
Xfree was so much fun to configure...

A simple purple desktop on a 11.2-RELEASE virtual testing machine
2019-01-05_14:34:44.png

I really like the Envy Code R font..

I finally decided. I remove i3wm from my home computer. You can ask why? I can't say anything bad about i3wm. It is an amazing window manager that has been upgraded to version 4.16 yesterday. But my heart does not belong to him. It may be too mainstream or perhaps for another reason. In addition, when i used Debian, my main window manager was Xmonad. It was quite comfortable and well configured. So I decided to apply the old configuration to version 0.15.
Ok. What is Xmonad? It is a tiling window manager that is notoriously minimal, stable, beautiful, and featureful. If you find yourself spending a lot of time organizing or managing windows, you may consider trying xmonad. Xmonad can be somewhat difficult to configure if you're new to Haskell or even to Xmonad itself. My configuration contains a completely working and very usable xmonad configuration "out of the box". If you are just starting out with Xmonad, this will give you a configuration that I personally used in Debian for around 8 hours every day. This configuration replicates the behavior of another window driver -DWM. If anyone was interested, I placed configuration files in the freshly created github repo. Okay, enough to talk. That's the picture.
Cheese_Sat-05Jan19_21.38.png

Still learning my way around FreeBSD but in the process I ended up refreshing/updating my dwm setup from scratch and figured I'd share. This is a moderately hacked up dwm with gaps, transparency, and a few extra layouts. Status bar is my own shell script with just the basics. I start it with startx, which calls startdwm.sh which runs it in a while loop so it can be restarted without losing all of my open windows (not that I make changes often anyway but might as well put in the minimum effort to account for the possibility).

I've tried more full-featured/heavier wms over the years periodically (i3, awesome, spectrwm) but I always get frustrated with it and remember that there was nothing wrong with dwm in the first place for my purposes. Not the simplest thing in the world to configure, but it is sane and intuitive right out of the box and can be extended with fairly little effort. Plus it's been "done" for quite some time now so you can just set it up once and then never touch it again for the most part - no worries about some major update breaking all of your patches and configuration.

hello.png

I have never played with fvwm but every time I see a screenshot I am impressed. I just need to go back and get my PhD so I can figure out how to configure it ;)

Sevendogsbsd, you may also try my x11-wm/fvwm2 config — https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fvwm.232/page-2#post-390111
It's working with FreeBSD pretty well, also with some minor changes in config it is possible to use it with GNU/Linux as well.
screenshott-png.5625

fvwm is nice but takes really lot of memory for high fancy desktop.
I prefer blackbox due to memory footprint.
It is not true, fvwm with my config with some of its modules (FvwmCommandS, FvwmButtons, FvwmPager and FvwmEvent) loaded altogether uses about 50 MB of RAM. For example, in screenshot from above you may see conky, so with many applications opened (like file manager, web browser, image viewer, editor, terminal emulator, dock applications, compositor...) my system uses only about 800 MB of RAM.

Sevendogsbsd, you may also try my x11-wm/fvwm2 config — https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/fvwm.232/page-2#post-390111
It's working with FreeBSD pretty well, also with some minor changes in config it is possible to use it with GNU/Linux as well.
screenshott-png.5625

It is not true, fvwm with my config with some of its modules (FvwmCommandS, FvwmButtons, FvwmPager and FvwmEvent) loaded altogether uses about 50 MB of RAM. For example, in screenshot from above you may see conky, so with many applications opened (like file manager, web browser, image viewer, editor, terminal emulator, dock applications, compositor...) my system uses only about 800 MB of RAM.
I had FVWM very very long time ago but all the time I am thinking to give a try but there so many thinks to learn about settings...

I have never used a Linux distro that DIDN'T have the basic X programs.

Ubuntu:
Have you ever tried Ubuntu? Recently, I noticed that GCC does weird permissions ;)
No xterm, nothing that looks like X11. It seems to me : money, gnome and all business - to make business, a bit like Microsoft.

Slackware is actually the cleaner Linux so far, but it is largely business also like any other distributions.

I had FVWM very very long time ago but all the time I am thinking to give a try but there so many thinks to learn about settings...
Its settings, functions and syntax are pretty simple, for example, it is 100 times easier to configure x11-wm/fvwm2, than, for example, x11-wm/awesome. Of course you need some time to learn how things work in FVWM, but then you won't want to use any other WM, because you'll find the perfect one, it's lightweight, fast, stable, highly configurable/customizable, feature rich… It is possible to recreate almost any functionality from other WM-s. Also about 15 FVWM modules provides additional functionality, like, for example FvwmButtons module (dock at right in my screenshot). BTW, FvwmButtons module was created in 1993 by Robert Nation. Also FVWM has very good and complete manual (also every FVWM module has its readable and pretty complete man page), just read it with % man fvwm (or % man FvwmButtons) and you'll be able to achieve anything you want with your FVWM configuration.

The build machine getting its CPUs worked - since my ccache and poudriere.conf tweaks, it was pushing ram usage to over 50GB and all 24 CPUs were pegged at 100%. Hope I don't have a fan failure :oops:

EDIT - wanted to clarify; the 2 terminals on the right are ssh sessions to the headless build box. The desktop is my normal PC running x11-wm/cwm. Not that it mattered but thought I'd explain anyway...

2019-01-26-105639_3440x1440_scrot.jpg

And the results. I don't know how much port code changed and this is not a definitive test, but the build time was 46 minutes. I did a poudriere ports -u prior to the build and this is with the latest tweaks in make.conf and poudriere.conf. I'll post these when I get my HOWTO done.
poudriere-build-ccache.jpg

And another user who longs for the old green phospor screens. Good to see that.

The build machine getting its CPUs worked - since my ccache and poudriere.conf tweaks, it was pushing ram usage to over 50GB and all 24 CPUs were pegged at 100%. Hope I don't have a fan failure :oops:

I have an Oploar Gaming Fan I sometime use when compiling ports on my laptops.

My W520 with Intel Core i7-2760QM @ 2.40GHz and 8GB RAM was compiling www/firefox-esr and I happened to notice the exhaust seemed unusually warm. I hooked the fan up, set it to high and the temperature readout for the air it was pulling out registered 125F. I was running from the login terminal so I couldn't see how much the temp dropped like I can from the desktop with sysutils/gkrellm2 but I've watched to bring it down considerably several times and it's well worth the money IMO.

The build box will be fine: it's an HP z800 workstation, weighs about 50 pounds and has a ton of stock fans in it :). I do probably need to do a dust bunny removal though - haven't done one in a couple of months. I dread if the 1100 watt power supply goes out on the monster though: it's a proprietary supply and not sure how much it would be to replace. Should be able to get one on ebay though.

Back