FreeBSD Screen Shots

Agree with you vermaden. Those are some killer walls. Thanks BrainDamage.

First screen this year. Just an update from my EEE. scrotwm.

Clean

Busy

expl said:
My wide 22 inch screen fried :(, had to switch to my old 19 inch.

Hello, just registered to the forum. Any change for a link to this wallpaper? Love to colors.

Oh, and greetings from the cold and icy Finland. �e

Till now I have ben using KDE4, but I see your desktops are much better than it. How long does it take for a newbie who has never used any DE besides GNOME and KDE to configure WM? Also, what do you recommend? There's quite a lot of WMs out there. Last question, is there any way of cleaning FreeBSD of all the unwanted dependencies besides removing them manually?

Do NOT use desktop enviroments!
Go step by step, firstly setup X
Then setup drivers (I am lucky with nvidia)

Only now choose Window Manager. Here I've choosen compiz as I wana eye candy. Select it's independent emerald window decorator. (which has to be themed)
Now go for task/icon bar/panel/menu, here I went for cairo-dock.

Here, critical decision was to go with GTK2, so here be prepared to setup THE THEME via ~/.gtkrc-2.0! and icon theme, as ALL gtk apps you install, will share and have THAT feel and look!

Get a good file manager -> thunar -> part of xfce and dev is a FreeBSD guy.
Start installing apps via ports (if GUI try to always pick GTK based) and their binaries should be added to cairo dock to summon them on a click ...

You add apps you WILL use, so forget bloated desktop enviroments.

This is a FreeBSD's way and a point at which I stopped ATM ...

For me FreeBSD is used as a server (not even X there) and as a EyeCandy GUI on a Laptop (soon to be dev machine and control unit of my servers)
;)

But I'm still studying all this ...

Seeker said:
Do NOT use desktop enviroments!
Go step by step, firstly setup X
Then setup drivers (I am lucky with nvidia)
Only now choose Window Manager. Here I've choosen compiz as I wana eye candy. Select it's independent emerald window decorator. (which has to be themed)
Now go for task/icon bar/panel/menu, here I went for cairo-dock.
Quite obvious, I was doing it every time I installed FreeBSD (I'm also lucky to have a NVIDIA GPU). But are you sure there's no other way than reinstalling whole OS? Is there no way to clean all the KDE dependencies and configuration files? I really don't want to go through the whole setup process...

Seeker said:
Here, critical decision was to go with GTK2, so here be prepared to setup THE THEME via ~/.gtkrc-2.0! and icon theme, as ALL gtk apps you install, will share and have THAT feel and look!
Is it possible for QT applications to look as if they were GTK? It's possible to make GTK software look like QT. And I really like some QT applications, e.g. VLC

Seeker said:
Get a good file manager -> thunar -> part of xfce and dev is a freebsd guy.
Start installing apps via ports(if GUI try to always pick GTK bassed) and theirs binaries should be added to cairo dock to summon them on a click ...
I'm not sure if switching to parts of Xfce is a good idea (Thunar is Xfce's file manager, right?) since Xfce has just become unsupported on *BSD. Are you sure Nautius is not better?

Seeker said:
You add apps you WILL use, so forget bloated desktop enviroments.

This is a FreeBSD's way and a point at which I stopped ATM ...

For me FreeBSD is used as a server(not even X there) and as a EyeCandy GUI on a Laptop (soon to be dev machine and control unit of my servers)
;)

But I'm still studying all this ...

pkubaj said:
But are you sure there's no other way than reinstalling whole OS? Is there no way to clean all the KDE dependencies and configuration files? I really don't want to go through the whole setup process...
Sure, just uninstall everything with a pkg_delete -a or specify which port/package you want to remove. Some files created after the original installation may be left.
If you really don't need any of it but still want to preserve your FreeBSD base system, just rm -r the port/package database under /var/db and the entire /usr/local hierarchy.

pkubaj said:
I'm not sure if switching to parts of Xfce is a good idea (Thunar is Xfce's file manager, right?) since Xfce has just become unsupported on *BSD. Are you sure Nautius is not better?
I've tried almost all available file managers and have always preferred Thunar (the one before it, xffm, was good too).
Thunar is still the lightest and, even though it lacks some features I'd like it to have, it still makes for a very efficient file management.
I'll try the new version when it's ported and I don't expect it not to work well. The supposed incompatibility introduced in Xfce 4.8 will pretty much make automatic mounting impossible and I've never needed that to begin with.

pkubaj said:
Is there no way to clean all the KDE dependencies and configuration files? I really don't want to go through the whole setup process...
Use pkg_info -Ia to list installed ports and pkg_delete $PORT, to delete it.
Read ports section of handbook.
pkubaj said:
Is it possible for QT applications to look as if they were GTK? It's possible to make GTK software look like QT. And I really like some QT applications, e.g. VLC
If you find theme that exists for both, GTK and QT
pkubaj said:
Don't look at it as a PART of xfce, but as a standalone app.
Same goes for gnome.
For app, look is it GTK and use qt app only if there is no alternative.

Hey don't treat me as if I didn't know anything. I know how to delete ports. But I asked for some automated way since KDE has many dependencies and deleting everything manually would be painful. Generally, I want to find an app that looks for all the ports and displays not depended on software.

Back