FreeBSD releases

We've been supporting customers on wild range of architectures, nowadays mostly ia64. Good luck preparing major upgrades there when you can't test it in the LAB. Each upgrade was its own adventure. Issues where the whole factory had to be at full stop or when trucks were causing major traffic jam in big city due to failed cluster upgrade.

Now look, here you have free software you can use with certain level of support. It's all known, not hidden anywhere.

I can't immediately upgrade from php5.6 to php7.4 and from mysql5.6 to mysql8.0.
Most likely you're on some sort of x86. You can create VM anywhere nowadays (even average laptop), do a restore of you box in VM, test, and make sure you catch most if not all issues.

I'm not happy about leaving 12.x either as all my prod data are on ZFS that stems from good old SUN. But SUN is no more..

You've got time to upgrade from PHP 5.6 to 7 from december 2015 till december 2018 - 3 years. Now we're another 4.5 years later. You really name that a "bad policy of FreeBSD" as the PHP project itself droped those old versions? You call more than 7 years "immediately"? Please do a reality check.

Taking a look at php.net and being informed about changes as well as upgrading your code is simply the absolute minimum when it comes to the use of a language like PHP (I'm assuming it to be used on a webserver) - otherwise someone didn't its job; When your server isn't puplic you can decide not to upgrade and you're done (the you don't need to upgrade FreeBSD as well and don't need a package repository); But if you're running a public webserver then it is IMO great that such lazy folk get's into trouble. And as you named Debian: Even their oldstable offers 7.3 - and not 5.6; Afaik no-one offers you security for 5.6 anymore.

I can't understand why you are forcing me to upgrade. It's actually my choice
Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Many people are giving you suggestions based on their experience maintaining systems. You’re free to run your machines however you like.

Pre-built installers and packages are a convenience, but you don’t need them. Here are a couple things you can do:
  • copy an existing 12.x installation (or restore from backup) and modify config files
  • check out the src tree at the exact version you want, and build it
Same goes for ports.

It'd be the tenth or twentieth time FreeBSD is "abandoned" by the public for reasons such as "no-LTS" or "upgrading-is-a-pain-in-the-ass"/"I-use-it-on-production-systems" (implying "not to be easy to maintain" equals being "unable to be maintained", and all people will migrate to CentOS7 --- no, wait, CentOS is no more...
Christ's sake, step down a bit. All that whining makes my belly grumble, did'yall started with computers expecting it to be easy-peasy RLY?

Back