FreeBSD losing Trident?

It seems that FreeBSD is going to lose Trident as a GUI offspring. Probably sad. :(

Announcement can be read here.
That strange project which tried to create graphical distribution based on FreeBSD but is so ugly that they do not even post screenshots/gallery on their page? :)

Use GhostBSD or NomadBSD as they are MILES better (and look nice) then PC-BSD/TrueOS/Trident.

I will not miss them.

It seems they are going for Void Linux. Meh, I like Void, but that will not to help them with Lumina's code quality and overall lack of polish.

I've been using Void Linux for some time and I consider it the best Linux distribution at the moment. Void Linux users don't need any kind of "Russian doll" around their distribution.

experiencing faster boot times
Is this some kind of insider slang?
Not many users on this forum have complained about boot time that I recall.
My Devuan instance does not boot much quicker.
Better hardware support I understand. Sell your soul for a quick sugar buzz if you must.

I wonder how this will affect GhostBSD, as it uses TrueOS as it’s base, interesting..I quite
like it for desktop but I have a feeling I’ll have to look for a replacement shortly. Any ideas? MidnightBSD, NomadBSD, maybe? Or I’ll just build upon FreeBSD12 as base and we’ll see..

About GhostBSD being based on TrueOS or Trident ... they have chenged their 'base' many times and their 'strength' is in the installer and GUI tools. The base (which FreeBSD variant would be used) is not that important. They could do 13-CURRENT and you would not see the difference.

About GhostBSD being based on TrueOS or Trident ... they have chenged their 'base' many times and their 'strength' is in the installer and GUI tools. The base (which FreeBSD variant would be used) is not that important. They could do 13-CURRENT and you would not see the difference.
https://github.com/project-trident/trident-installer/commits/master/src-sh/void-install-zfs.sh

It seems they are going for Void Linux. Meh, I like Void, but that will not to help them with Lumina's code quality and overall lack of polish.

Daily I am paid to make RHEL/CentOS/Oracle Linux work. I am also familiar with Ubuntu and its flavors.

As I recently evaluated Linux distributions that do not use systemd Void, Alpine, Funtoo and Gentoo could only try to meet my standards ... and I do not like to compile my life anymore so that leaves Void and Alpine in play ... and Alpine is like OpenBSD so not much would work on it (and I would prefer OpenBSD anyway) so that leaves Void Linux.

... but even if you can install Void Linux on Root with ZFS with nice script there is still the same problem that exists with Ubuntu 19.10 Beta - lack of ZFS Boot Environments support and lack of encryption.

If You install FreeBSD you have full root on ZFS with GELI encryption without any additional bullshit (separate ZFS boot pools or /boot filesystems). EVERYTHING is on the encrypted root partition on ZFS.

Ubuntu 19.10 has three filesystems.

EXT4 /boot.
ZFS v28 bpool (boot pool).
ZFS v5000 rpool (root pool).

... and as of current state does not support ANY kind of Boot Environments tool - you can not even set bootfs property for the rpool pool.
View: https://twitter.com/vermaden/status/1182727603272257537

View: https://twitter.com/vermaden/status/1182739310732337154

While Ubuntu just got root on ZFS it still lacks encrypted ZFS and ZFS Boot Environments.

Void Linux - properly configured - will have ZFS Boot Environments but not encryption.

While encryption has been recently added to ZFS on Linux I doubt that Linux will be able to boot from this way encrypted root partition - not to mention without separate /boot or ZFS boot pool ...

It’s not what it can do for you or what you call it, it’s what you can do with it.

Think of Red Hat. It used2be just another Linux based distribution. Then, they developed point and click solutions with Linux core for virtualized environments and sold to IBM for around $30 billions. Maybe some developers that specialize in *BSD based solutions are trying the same. One day a *BSD genius will come up and offer point and click environment, using bhyve and FreeBSD jails, for yet another containerized solutions. They will get the first billion in IPO and you will sit here discussing what’s better. :)

Container business is very profitable nowadays for shipping, storage and virtualization.
I have old rusted container to store my junk, and then I use containers in FreeBSD to store and play with more junk.
I wish that someone would provide remote control with AI solution to move my container utilizing wheels with automatic door opener, so I don’t have to hire a crane to move the beast or pull my arms to open and close those old rusted doors. Same goes for bhyve, FreeBSD jails and firewalls. I wouldn’t mind P&C GUI solutions for those. My container was free and so are FreeBSD, jails and bhyve. I deal with it as is and do what I can to make it work for me.
If you want slick or ez solutions and can’t pay for it than you have to DIY.

For real? Do you even know what MidnightBSD is? For starters, it has exactly one regular user, Lucas Holt himself.

In fact I do, as I have tried it, and didn’t experience glaring problems with it. Still, I believe in good alternatives that provide a ‘point and click’ solution for less experienced users, as well. Not everyone can build their on desktop OS from packages, after all.

enterprise Linux distro. Also don't forget their Java business.
Java buisness? is not their buisness - that's Oracles' business now. Any idea , smart, dumb or even stupid, can be turned into Enterprise=Profits, even FreeBSD, given enough start-up funds for development, lawyers and IPO hype. IBM paid for RadHat to get rid off competition on Linux platform. IBM had similiar solutions developed in house, based on Linux.

You mentioned Java business, now you're pointing me to Open Source solutions based on Java platform :confused:
Oracle, IBM, MS, Google and many others utilize Java platform to develop expensive EnterPrice software applications based on Java. Nothing special about RedHat and their Java based solutions. I'm glad that *BSD and Linux cores can do without it. But, if one needs or want they can plug in and use any dev platform based on C, C++, VB, C#, J#, Java, Java Script, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby ... &on&on to develop their killer apps or EnterPrice solutions :)

You mentioned Java business, now you're pointing me to Open Source solutions based on Java platform :confused:

There is no contradiction. I never claimed they own the brand.

Oracle, IBM, MS, Google and many others utilize Java platform to develop expensive EnterPrice software applications based on Java.

Oracle and IBM, yes. MS doesn't touch anything Java since 98. Google only sells their cloud platform. I have no idea what relationship Red Hat has with consulting.

But, if one needs or want they can plug in and use any dev platform based on C, C++, VB, C#, J#, Java, Java Script, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby ... &on&on to develop their killer apps or EnterPrice solutions :)

Nothing, absolutely nothing compares with Java's mindshare. I'm not joking.

Back