FreeBSD losing Trident?

I used musl with Alpine when messing with Xen. I can say it makes life much harder.
Also limits which applications are ported over.

Oh, apparently they want to switch to musl as well. These people are truly clueless. (All commercial / closed source Linux software is compiled against glibc. Like mentioned Nvidia drivers, for example.)
They probably plan to support both libcs in which case, nvidia blobs won't really be a problem.

I'm actually in favor of this. The less beta 'desktop' projects we have grossly representing FreeBSD, the better - it's embarrassing. They should've just quit a long time ago and focused on improving Lumina and the graphics stack with the FreeBSD graphics team. What a waste of effort..

They might as well drop the whole 'Trident' moniker as well; since the system isn't based on that which the name represents.

What a waste of effort..

Years of wasted effort, lack of direction and sound decision making. I was there from the beginning in 2005 when it was still at beta v. 0.73 running some version of FreeBSD 5 with KDE 3 as a default desktop if memory serves me. I have all my old disks from back then and remember OJ from the forums.

It shows a complete lack of loyalty to their userbase IMO, who might not necessarily want to be using Linux in the first place or wouldn't be there, but that is an issue I've brought forth before and can now be laid to rest.

Lumina was the only part of TrueOS I actually cared about. The TrueOS package manager kept breaking so I switched to FreeBSD with lumina-desktop (which you can still get from ports). I eventually dropped that in favor of something much simpler. An ISO or VM image of FreeBSD with X.org is all FreeBSD needs for newcomers to quickly become familiar with the OS. I see no real loss here.

Think of Red Hat. It used2be just another Linux based distribution. Then, they developed point and click solutions with Linux core for virtualized environments and sold to IBM for around $30 billions.
I don't think that RedHat is "just another" distro; nor was it was just their container road map execution that got IBM's attention.
RedHat were into exactly the same corporate accounts as IBM, with support contracts (where they make their money). No other Linux vendor is operating broadly and credibly that space.
And IBM were already into RedHat. It was their Linux offering of choice on both mainframes and P-frames. So there was a close existing relationship.
On their hardware P frames, IBM are backing away from AIX and big endian RHEL, and have focused the future on little endian RHEL (P frames are bi-endian, at the level of each virtual machine [LPAR]).
In that space, IBM's enemy is VMware and Dell -- who are easier to target when you also run little endian.
IBM use software discounts to sell hardware. If you are important, they are going to offer you a cheaper total cost of ownership delivering the stack. But that stack has to be (seen to be) first class.
RedHat was a perfect fit (technical, marketing, established user base, and corporate credibility) to round out their cloud software stack (IBM were developing one of their own, but it was losing the battle).

I don't think that RedHat is "just another" distro; nor was it was just their container road map execution that got IBM's attention.
RedHat were into exactly the same corporate accounts as IBM, with support contracts (where they make their money). No other Linux vendor is operating broadly and credibly that space.

As I indicated then, and I'll repeat now, Red Hat used to be just another Linux distribution.

The year was late 1993 or early 94. At that time, there were Slackware Linux kernel boot images on one or two (can't remember now) 720KB floppies for computer hardware platforms with Intel CPU. Rest of the distribution came over ftp, from ftp.sunet.se. Read Hat wasn't around in the public domain yet and then. That's when I got interested in Linux. Later came (I think 1994) the same Linux kernel boot image with Linux-Red Hat distribution. As time went by, RH implemented modular kernel and soon after Linux distribution on CD and RPM's, etc. But, in those early days no serious IT operation would touch Linux Slack, RH or Linux on any platform, even many Universities or Colleges. Same goes for MS-DOS and Windows, when Novell ruled the PC LAN world because, MS did not have reliable LAN server - no serious IT operation would consider Windows-NT as their LAN server.

I was learning C in college on HP-9000 running HP-UX , back then when my 2 PC(s) with Linux had more and better TCP/IP services and C code than HP-UX. I've ran and played basement ISP with Slackware between 94-97 with help of my younger hacker friends from around the world. We had great time learning and playing ISP and TCP/IP. I had almost 1000 happy local dial-up users with 14.4/28.8/56.6kbps modems. Half of my users did not pay for Internet access because they were too young to deal with writing monthly checks. Nevertheless, I still made tons of money from those who paid $19.95 a month for unlimited access to Internet over my Adtron CSU/DSU modem on T4/DLLC, Livingston router, 50 dial-up telco lines with DNS, SMTPD/POPD, NNTPD, FTPD, HTTPD and lil'bit broken WAIS web crawler engine services, driven by Slackware-Linux, without looking at or touching Red Hat. And, I considered that, then and now, a serious EnterPrice hobby.:)

I'm referring to reality that I lived in then, as it used to be then. And, I don't give a shit what RH had/has or was/is - then for free and now for a fee.

Internet was just fine then, without RH, Google, Facebook, YouTube, Skype, Android, iOS, valuations and monetizations of anything and everything for and on Internet, with more intelligent and Internet savvy users, compered to many today, from around the world. Some of them became my good friends with whom I still keep'n touch, after over 20 years of ongoing friendships. Even now, tho I'm much older and dumb'ed out, I'm helping few by providing free email, ftp and webspace over httpd on FreeBSD 😈

I'm actually in favor of this. The less beta 'desktop' projects we have grossly representing FreeBSD, the better - it's embarrassing. They should've just quit a long time ago and focused on improving Lumina and the graphics stack with the FreeBSD graphics team. What a waste of effort..

They might as well drop the whole 'Trident' moniker as well; since system isn't based on that which the name represents.
PC-BSD / TrueOS and everything it spawns was always going to turn into this kind of mess, because the "business model" if you could even call it that, is "let's make it all easy and accessible and attract more users to $OS".

$OS = something we're going to revise at our discretion, in our supreme arrogance and disregard for the user base we've built up.

That is the kind of concept which inevitably spawned Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and Mandrake before it. It's the fallacy of popularity based on the notion that for an OS to "succeed" it needs to grow it's user base.

Those two used marketing, they used all kinds of tactics to attract users and once those tactics no longer works, they conveniently forgot about them, invented new slogans and roped in the next set of dupes and the cycle begins again.

Cut through the marketing, learn the basics, use the real thing and show the snake oil salesmen the door - the same applies to everything.

I wonder where I would be without OSes such as Mandrake and Ubuntu. They might have no focus, stupidly follow the last trend etc ... but somehow, I owe a lot to Ubuntu and Mandrake.
Back in the day, coming from Win95/98/XP, I would not have been able to install Debian or teach myself enough for this purpose.
Ubuntu was easy enough to install (non-free driver, GUI, etc ...) that it allowed me to gain enough confidence to explore Linux. I learned by using it daily instead of reading manuals and then being frustrated by my lack of understanding.

Later, I used PC-BSD to get a working FreeBSD + desktop as I was exploring BSD land.

The accessibilty and the ease of use for new comers are still a plus in my book for such projects. One the other hand, changing name, and decisions like these don't give me much confidence in the project.

I like what @shep does with OpenBSD. He just provides some scripts that take a simple install to a full Desktop. The user can blindly run the scripts or adapt them to its tastes and learn the ropes of the system along the way

$OS = something we're going to revise at our discretion, in our supreme arrogance and disregard for the user base we've built up.

That's what I remember most about my experience as a PC-BSD user.

Supreme Arrogance? Maybe not so much these days.

I wonder where I would be without OSes such as Mandrake and Ubuntu.

Later, I used PC-BSD to get a working FreeBSD + desktop as I was exploring BSD land.

I bought Mandrake as my first disco before I got a CD burner. If it had a Live CD I probably tried it out and how I eventually found PC-BSD. I was going to try out FreeBSD in '98 but the installer intimidated me into thinking it beyond my skill level. (It was.)

PC-BSD got me to the desktop. I took it from there so it did serve a purpose. I opened a file manager to see what was under the hood, ditched KDE for Fluxbox and their .PushButtonInstaller to learn ports. One of the Moore bothers asked me why I was using ports. Black sheep that I was. I read a pf tutorial by scottro and it proved a most valuable skill in more ways than one.

I followed a tutorial here somebody else wrote to set up my first FreeBSD desktop.

Void Linux users don't need any kind of "Russian doll" around their distribution.

You're right. Trident wouldn't replace the default Void installation. It would sit downstream of Void.

Not many users on this forum have complained about boot time that I recall.

I think the comparison is relative to Trident's current boot process, which is very "legacy," to put it mildly.

... but even if you can install Void Linux on Root with ZFS with nice script there is still the same problem that exists with Ubuntu 19.10 Beta - lack of ZFS Boot Environments support and lack of encryption.

If You install FreeBSD you have full root on ZFS with GELI encryption without any additional bullshit (separate ZFS boot pools or /boot filesystems). EVERYTHING is on the encrypted root partition on ZFS.

View attachment 6992

Ubuntu 19.10 has three filesystems.

EXT4 /boot.
ZFS v28 bpool (boot pool).
ZFS v5000 rpool (root pool).

... and as of current state does not support ANY kind of Boot Environments tool - you can not even set bootfs property for the rpool pool.
View: https://twitter.com/vermaden/status/1182727603272257537

View: https://twitter.com/vermaden/status/1182739310732337154

While Ubuntu just got root on ZFS it still lacks encrypted ZFS and ZFS Boot Environments.

Void Linux - properly configured - will have ZFS Boot Environments but not encryption.

While encryption has been recently added to ZFS on Linux I doubt that Linux will be able to boot from this way encrypted root partition - not to mention without separate /boot or ZFS boot pool ...

I do believe Trident have said they're abandoning ZFS root.

One day a *BSD genius will come up and offer point and click environment, using bhyve and FreeBSD jails

So FreeNAS?

Oh, apparently they want to switch to musl as well. These people are truly clueless. (All commercial / closed source Linux software is compiled against glibc. Like mentioned Nvidia drivers, for example.)

I thought using obscure solutions regardless of support because they are - in your estimation - technically superior was a standard BSDism 😛 While this certainly is a contradiction - aiming for ease of use while using nonstandard solutions - I don't necessarily think it's any worse than what I've observed in many other distros. They're already choosing a niche base as is, I doubt this is gonna make too much of a difference.
focused on improving Lumina and the graphics stack with the FreeBSD graphics team.

Per the dev, many of their attempted contributions to the FreeBSD effort have gone ignored/unaddressed. I confess I haven't been able to verify this myself.

when it was still at beta v. 0.73 running some version of FreeBSD 5 with KDE 3 as a default desktop

To be fair, that was before Plasma, which transformed KDE into its current excellent state.

It shows a complete lack of loyalty to their userbase IMO

I'm a Trident user. While I'll be migrating to GhostBSD instead of following them to Void, I understand the motivations for the move. However, it does seem that by choosing musl they are, again, painting themselves into a corner in terms of being a solution that's so niche no one supports it.

I haven't minded the driver issues because I run Trident on a previous gen PC with relatively simple hardware, and it's not my daily driver. But if I were using it on newer hardware, especially with newer Wi-Fi adapters, and as my daily driver, I'd have been frustrated too.

Lumina was the only part of TrueOS I actually cared about.

I think it's pretty good for being essentially a one man project. It's better at X11 forwarding than GNOME, for example.

PC-BSD / TrueOS and everything it spawns was always going to turn into this kind of mess, because the "business model" if you could even call it that, is "let's make it all easy and accessible and attract more users to $OS".

There hasn't been any implied business model since Trident forked from TrueOS.

I don't think you'd be making this comment if you'd been part of the community. Having interacted with these folks I can assure that's not how they think.

Ubuntu spawned Linux Mint, which was the 1st distro I managed to run without ultimately borking. Never underestimate the effect of an easy onramp.

It's the fallacy of popularity based on the notion that for an OS to "succeed" it needs to grow it's user base.

I mean, if no one uses your solution no one will develop for it, either. If you scroll through the thread you'll see people dogging Trident for choosing musl over glibc and MidnightBSD for having only one user. User base isn't absolutely everything, but it's not something a solution can be truly relevant without. It's phenomenally difficult to achieve very necessary 3rd party support without it.

they conveniently forgot about them

I run Ubuntu 19.04 and don't feel "forgotten" by Canonical. As a matter of fact, I like what they've done to vastly improve the OS' usability over the years.

I wonder where I would be without OSes such as Mandrake and Ubuntu. They might have no focus, stupidly follow the last trend etc ... but somehow, I owe a lot to Ubuntu and Mandrake.
Back in the day, coming from Win95/98/XP, I would not have been able to install Debian or teach myself enough for this purpose.
Ubuntu was easy enough to install (non-free driver, GUI, etc ...) that it allowed me to gain enough confidence to explore Linux. I learned by using it daily instead of reading manuals and then being frustrated by my lack of understanding.

The accessibilty and the ease of use for new comers are still a plus in my book for such projects.

Agreed. Trident taught me BSD, and I actually appreciate FreeBSD so much thanks to Trident that I'm deciding to stick with the former instead of following the latter to Linux.

They're already choosing a niche base as is, I doubt this is gonna make too much of a difference.

Indeed it won't make any difference, but not due to the reasons you think. The core truth here is that developing a desktop environment and a distro simultaneously is just too much work for 2 developers. Even with the greatly reduced maintenance burden that still would be unsustainable. I have no fucking idea what they are thinking.

Also, please tell the devs to reformat Lumina's source code. They must adopt a code style and enforce it. I don't even care if that code has any tests or documentation. Just formatting. How hard could this be?

developing a desktop environment

As I said earlier, I don't think incumbent DEs were sufficiently robust for their needs to make the tradeoff of developing their own DE not worth the effort. I do KDE and MATE at least are now sufficiently mature and robust to make that tradeoff unnecessary, as demonstrated by GhostBSD.

If anything, Trident may be suffering from the sunk cost fallacy in that regard.

I have no idea what they are thinking.

Probably that they have a better way to do things that works for them. Purely from my interaction with the group in their chat they seem don't use 3rd party applications or packages (aside from perhaps device drivers) in their own workflows, so their use case space is a bit more narrow than most. But they do also come across as reasonable, level headed folks.

I admit I didn't know about the musl vs. glibc issue; after reading the pitfalls of the former in this thread I'm honestly puzzled that they'd have actually selected it. The marginal benefits seem infinitesimal to nonexistent.

Anyway, as I said, GhostBSD is the next move for me.

I'm not defending their decision(s) as much as I'm framing it as the best option for them, by them.

To be fair, that was before Plasma, which transformed KDE into its current excellent state.

To each their own. A DE reminds me of Windows and their .pbi installer reminded me of an .exe. I had a low end laptop at the time so I moved to Fluxbox and have stayed with it since.

I haven't minded the driver issues because I run Trident on a previous gen PC with relatively simple hardware, and it's not my daily driver. But if I were using it on newer hardware, especially with newer Wi-Fi adapters, and as my daily driver, I'd have been frustrated too.

That wasn't the cause of my frustration in leaving. That's trivial in comparison. I am not easily discouraged though often underestimated.

I don't think you'd be making this comment if you'd been part of the community. Having interacted with these folks I can assure that's not how they think.

That's where you are mistaken. I responded to that same quote from cynwulf:

That is exactly how they ran business back then and I can't see where things have improved over the years. Supreme Arrogance was their downfall in underestimating me, both as a member of that community and more recently. Supreme Arrogance withered in the light of Righteous Indignation and that should have been enough. It was much worse the second time and we took it personally.

Since you're a Trident user I don't want to be rude or burst your bubble about how things work behind the scenes, or did when I was still a member of the community in 2012. I presented the facts in public when forced to do so and have already spoken out loudly about it in great detail. Then and more recently, in more than one place on more than one occasion.

it's a moot point now. They're leaving for Linux and I've said everything I had to say about it. Suffice it to say a part of me is resting at peace with it now.

If that sounds cryptic or like I'm dancing around the subject, I am. No offense, it's for the best of everyone.

I really wish the project would incite more interest in desktop related infrastructure, or at least grow a team that would address specific issues related to the desktop. Things like bluetooth improvements, power aware CPU scheduling, input device improvements, etc. That way this demographic can be targeted from within the same Project itself. I'd like to see an 'iflib'-like framework for desktop peripherals. I can't stress enough the 'Base OS' concept advantage FreeBSD has over Linux when it comes to potential ISVs/IHVs.

I'm really glad the new FUSE driver was re-written and improved. This a good step in the right direction for making the switch easier.

I tried out TrueOS as a favor not that long ago. It listed Lumina and Fluxbox as the choice of desktops and since I'd used Fluxbox some 13 years at the time chose that.

There was no terminal or file manager available. The command xterm did not exist and x11/eterm was missing fonts and failed to start with an error. Not what I describe as full functionality in my desktops. The Lumina file manager doesn't have a copy to or move to option like x11-fm/xfe which makes it useless for me since file transfers a good part of the work I do.

Marco, one of their devs, said the xterm problem was due to using x11/xorg-minimal and a lack of communication IIRC, but would bring it to their attention. I don't blame him. The people who designed the file manager must not use one for file transfers and I never got an answer as to why, or word of it having changed.

That's just general desktop activities for me and what I would expect from any Linux disco I booted up. Long range planning is all good and well but maintaining team communication and fixing the fundamentals before marketing the product a sound business plan IMO. My hardware is old so support issues never come up for me. I know they do quite often for others and it can make the difference in them using it or "getting tired" of FreeBSD and going back to Linux.

I've never used GhostBSD but have heard good things about it so it's likely more users for them. Their site is well maintained with no sign of wishy-washy decisions regarding a proposed change from FreeBSD. There are tutorials other than mine that can teach a new user to set up a FreeBSD box and a horde of friendly Daemons always ready to lend a hand.

We have a healthy influx of new users it seems. FreeBSD is not for everybody and this may nurture Natures Way of dealing with it.

We have a healthy influx of new users it seems. FreeBSD is not for everybody and this may nurture Natures Way of dealing with it.

I don't know if I would be considered a "new user", I did play with FreeBSD (among others, PC-BSD, etc) for a while when I was distro hopping after I was soured by Debian (don't ask, wont tell) but the release when I finally said enough, KDE4 was bad. The panel didn't work and all windows didn't have titlebars. It was completely unusable.

When I tried FreeBSD it was not as polished as I had hoped, (MATE DE) but everything worked. I don't like having to "tweak" things a lot, generally I use things the way they come. Finally I landed on Slackware and ended up building my own Cinnamon DE that I still use and will for a long time.

I am back to FreeBSD because I am setting up a home server and maintaining it will be a lot easier with FreeBSD. I have been going through it setting it up a few times and screwing it up, but I am close now. I am installing Xfce via pkg and it just works. But in the end it will be headless.

As for Trident, it seems like another Budgie to me, just window dressing on a Lumina stack(?) where Budgie is just window dressing on a Gnome stack. Why bother? I guess that there is more to Budgie than just "window dressing", since the last time I toyed with it (Solus), it was a normal DE and not that crazy crap that Gnome has going on.

I am one of these new users. I've used Solaris at the beginning of my career and I really liked it. When Linux began to be available on CDROM in 1995, I was delighted to be able to run a Unix-like at home and I've learnt a lot using it.

I've changed for FreeBSD recently. It wasn't my first try but I've been rebuked on all my previous attempts at using it. What was different this time is that I realized how much my way of thinking had been shaped by Windows and Linux. Being aware of this gave me the freedom to choose to think and act differently and to appreciate FreeBSD for what it is.

Trihexagonal is right when he says that FreeBSD is not for everybody. So was Linux at the beginning, you had to recompile the kernel to support your network card, etc. But now, Linux has become the new Windows of our time, sort of. Its evolutions are now driven by multinational corporations such as IBM and Oracle.

Often, I feel like an alien lost on Earth, maybe that's why I can't be happy with an operating system "for everyone". I' glad FreeBSD isn't one. :)

Often, I feel like an alien lost on Earth, maybe that's why I can't be happy with an operating system "for everyone". I' glad FreeBSD isn't one. :)

thanks, I am feeling the same ;-)

My roots with FreeBSD began with 4.something, but just out of interest before I started my career in this fascinating field of IT. It was an on and off for a few years, but I have been using it more since version 10 arrived, also in our company and for some clients.

I tried trueos and trident several times, but it was nothing special, I had to fiddle around with gui setup the same way I had to with FreeBSD, so there was no win for me in the setup routine. However, I had the feeling that - before trueos and trident got separate projects - they finally were on the right path (after all the name changes etc.). Still, I think it's sad to see the project become another one of the gazillion Linux distributions. Though it was not for me they sure contributed to the BSD ecosystem, and now for the trident project I see no bright future - there are too many distros.

When I first tried FreeBSD in a virtual machine, I constantly broke things with Ports. I came from mostly playing with Debian on VMs and old hardware and how it "just worked". I never really loved Debian even if it was "easy" because it didn't feel right to me.

However, despite breaking my installation so often, FreeBSD felt right. It felt clean, well-maintained, something I grew to love. Maybe hardware support was weaker than Windows or Linux, but I still loved FreeBSD.

I can thank FreeBSD for teaching me about Unix instead of just seeing OSes as a black box throwing together Ubuntu and Docker unlike most of my peers my age (although I got into FreeBSDbefore Docker was a thing).

My desktop only ran on FreeBSD for all these years. My laptop has mostly been FreeBSD except where I actually couldn't. I ran my own web and email servers, and Tor relays, all on FreeBSD.

And from the bad hardware support, I learnt about how the various hardware subsystems work and are put together. I maintained Ports for half-a-decade, and even I wrote a few kernel patches (that have been committed) because I just had to make my laptop work with FreeBSD. I simply wouldn't give up.

However, I may be back in Windows and Microsoft-land for my future job. This job is just too good for me to miss out on, and the pay is really good too. I guess I'll really miss FreeBSD, it has been my OS love for many years. Hopefully can I still maintain a lifeline in the FreeBSD world or even keep some use as second OS.

Back