FreeBSD losing Trident?

Is this the new trend, making several unpolished "distros" within FreeBSD? Wouldn't it just be better if everyone got together and made one good system?

Is this the new trend, making several unpolished "distros" within FreeBSD? Wouldn't it just be better if everyone got together and made one good system?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it. I have ghostbsd on one of my laptops. I could have accomplished much the same myself with FreeBSD and some application installations etc, but I wanted to see what they had done. I liked it so I kept it.

It's obviously not as common for FreeBSD because it's an entire operating system, not just a kernel like Linux. (A big bloated kernel, I might add). But I don't see anything wrong with forks of it. Who knows, maybe some ideas can leak back to FreeBSD?

GhostBSD, for what little my opinion is worth of, is pretty polished. At least compared to mess TrueOS desktop or Trident installs usually ended up being. I've even used GhostBSD at home for "server" purposes - just had to remove Mate & X. Because I really like OpenRC combined with FreeBSD.

GhostBSD, for what little my opinion is worth of, is pretty polished. At least compared to mess TrueOS desktop or Trident installs usually ended up being. I've even used GhostBSD at home for "server" purposes - just had to remove Mate & X. Because I really like OpenRC combined with FreeBSD.

I concur. Trident was/is a mess. TrueOS/Trident never seemed to know what it wanted to be after renaming itself from PC-BSD (Just my impression from afar).

Now it wants to be a Linux distro. Good luck to them, they'll be extinct or inconsequential within a year because there's so much choice with Linux you'd have to be blind to want Lumina as your desktop.

you can also find on ebay 5 dollars perfectly working Windows licenses (thanks to Europa Union who decided that reselling an used license is perfectly legal and could be forbidden by the software editor).
Please, don't call it legal. It's worse than general piracy with public KMS as you support criminal business.

FreeBSD desktop works perfectly well without Gnome, KDE, Mate and XFCE. They should remain options, but those shouldn't be promoted for regular use. I'm happy with JWM. Others speak highly of i3, and other minimal window managers. I think Gnome related development tries to put knots in every piece (or tangle up with needless complexities) of software they can.

Bluetooth and multimedia key support are the only things really lacking for a general desktop. Multimedia keys would be nice, but aren't a necessity. Access point Bluetooth printer accessibility would also be beneficial for an access point or non-desktop computer.

I get the impression that people are mixing TrueOS and Trident
According to me, theses are two different things
TrueOS is still alive and is focusing on server, as it was at the beginning before merging PC BSD into TrueOS.
It is possible to setup desktop with TrueOS

They are two different things now but they weren't previously. Yes now one is a 'server' and the other is a 'desktop'.
Why anyone would use TrueOS over FreeBSD baffles me.
If you read their spiel, it's GELI encryption, boot environments and "ports with more options". Nothing you cannot do and have more control over doing so, with FreeBSD.

In regard to Trident, well it's a Linux distro now, so it's irrelevant here.

Why ixsystems did what they did? Who knows? Maybe a last desperate attempt to keep Lumina going?

I wonder if Trident has any chances to survive on long term

If I was a betting man I would say "slim and none". Initially, they may get a lot of gloating Linux fanatics taking a look at it because it has ditched FreeBSD but the love won't last. Not if they keep their desktop as is.

TrueOS is still alive and is focusing on server, as it was at the beginning before merging PC BSD into TrueOS.

They first started talking about using PC-BSD as a server when it was at 9.0 Isotope in 2012.

you can also find on ebay 5 dollars perfectly working Windows licenses
$5o_O! That's so overpriced- legal or not. But, everything on Ebay is overpriced and then the idiots trying to outbid each other to pay even more than the actual overpriced price - hehe
As to Trident, Lumina or TrueOS; There's nothing to gain or loose from them, beacuse FreeBSD is still here, with or without Lumina.

Please, don't call it legal. It's worse than general piracy with public KMS as you support criminal business.
What do you expect from the rest? This world is being run by a bunch of crooks and criminals, starting with the so called governments. Legal or illegal has nothing to do with right and wrong or moral and immoral. And, Laws have nothing to do with Justice.

Don't worry, no-one uses public KMS anymore to activate their software. They run a local KMS emulator and activate against that. Clean and offline.

I can also confirm that Microsoft has been known to use these same "solutions" internally when provisioning test VMs offline. Are you calling Microsoft criminals? I wouldn't disagree. They are the ones forcing users to expose all their computers to the internet in order for it to "keep on working". If that isn't malware, then what is? ;)

Don't worry, no-one uses public KMS anymore to activate their software. They run a local KMS emulator and activate against that. Clean and offline.

I can also confirm that Microsoft has been known to use these same "solutions" internally when provisioning test VMs offline. Are you calling Microsoft criminals? I wouldn't disagree. They are the ones forcing users to expose all their computers to the internet in order for it to "keep on working". If that isn't malware, then what is? ;)
Keys from Ebay the last time I've got one was from MSDN. That why I call it 'not legal'
But I agree about local KMS emulator. :p
1572456186.png

I read all post and my reaction is :
«So, Trident lost freeBSD».
Trident is installed in computer that run *BSD with GUI.
There is very few competitors on this configuration and poeple that install this kind of system are aware that system and wm is complex piece of software.
In linux world, most user install a «distro» with a very complex and mature wm (and de) that run out of the box with very large communauty support (KDE, Gnome, XFCE...)
Few poeple install an another wm (dwm...) to configure it.
The choice to create a linux distro with Lumina is, for me, not the good one.
For me, there is two case : Trident is mature an then create a Tubunutu to «prove it» or trident need support, developpment etc and then protect him with captivated users.

Keys from Ebay the last time I've got one was from MSDN. That why I call it 'not legal'

I've bought a few (Win8.1, since 7 is about to be EOL soon) and these seemed to activate fine. Seemed to be OEM keys actually.
Mind you, since I am citizen of the EU, it's 'legal' for me.

I think with all the name changes I might have thought at first TrueOS was going Void Linux, too.

But they're staying with FreeBSD which perfect sense at this point.

hm, ixsystems will introduce Linux support in 2020. I am more worried about that. Supporting two operating systems for their product costs money, so they might have a long term plan in their sleeves which I don't like. Container support in Linux land also makes it much easier for plugins and addons, and if the platform is the same on Linux and on FreeBSD there is no sense in keeping 2 supported systems. I don't want to spread FUD, but I am concerned and that's what I think.

hm, ixsystems will introduce Linux support in 2020. I am more worried about that. Supporting two operating systems for their product costs money, so they might have a long term plan in their sleeves which I don't like. Container support in Linux land also makes it much easier for plugins and addons, and if the platform is the same on Linux and on FreeBSD there is no sense in keeping 2 supported systems. I don't want to spread FUD, but I am concerned and that's what I think.
IMHO - in the long term - they will abandon FreeBSD in favor of Linux (as Delphix did with Illumos).

ZFS Storage is their primary selling product and ZFS on Linux is mature enough for production now.

You will see that future FreeNAS (or new name) will be based on Linux - unfortunately.

Such is the way of the world, there is no room for sentiment in business.
What this does mean however, is that there may well be a gap in the market for another company to fill.
As one door closes, so another one opens.

Back