FreeBSD Hosting/Shared/VPS etc.

I don't understand why would you need to use colocation for that? For your purpose getting a VPS or a physical server will do.

I am using https://www.transip.eu/vps/ . I haven't found another VPS provider that gives you so much RAM and disk space for 10 euro per month.
Last year, for a client, I got a dedicated root server from Hetzner's https://robot.your-server.de/order/market and he is very happy with it. He used to pay over 200 USD monthly and now only 22 euro for a box with better specifications.

And if I allow other to connect to my own server I got to pay an addition charge for each person. There’s a lot I don’t understand but this takes the cake. Maybe they think this is going to be a Windows or Linux server that needs C-Panel or something. Could someone please explain? FreeBSD servers don’t need any of this right?
This is probably for system console (VGA or serial). If you use a server with built-in remote management, this can happen over the same network connection as regular access, or on a second network connection. If you use a system that doesn't have that function, then the colo site needs to cable things up to their management system and create accounts for you. Using a server with built-in remote management also means you can reset / power cycle / etc. the box without needing to involve the colo support staff.

All of this is only relevant if you're providing your own server to install at the facility. Since the other questions ask about how big the system is, that's probably what is going on here. If you're looking for a shared server or a dedicated server provided by the colo facility, you're on the wrong form.

I don't understand why would you need to use colocation for that? For your purpose getting a VPS or a physical server will do.
Thanks J65nko@, but my reason for colocation was to share the most basic usages so to not go into excessive details of why I have interest in colo. Functionality and pricing of colocation can be fair provided future user do not to get caught up in the hype of GRID technology. This is what big-data is boosting about. It’s the new 5 blocks per gallon gasoline for your data activity, off the power box. Bandwidth will become cheap to free, but provider rather keep this secrete because it would leads to the coming of some future super Metropolitan(s) WiFi Towers that will run faster than any fiber-optics connection from coast-to-coast, where dark fiber can get piggy-backed in some areas…or something like that. I only read the highlights from many sites a few months ago. Anyway, I plan to use Vultr to learn how to avoid mistakes so to gain better mileage when it’s time to go solo on colo. It’s not about what would do for me; it’s more about the pricing of these technologies itself when going the Kelly way.

The console access probably means connecting providers' device to the ports …
You could be right, but since colo providers needs a way to generate more cash than just rental space, power and bandwidth usage, the only thing left is c-panel license per user. But this is not a Windows server, or their own hardware, so my guest is; for a UNIX server we would select No user. Since this is only something to be use after learning with VPS, and we don’t just files fault service quotes simply to obtain answers, I see that some data-centers do use chat. I’ll go check things out there and I’ll be back soon. Thanks ondra_knezour@

If you're looking for a shared server or a dedicated server provided by the colo facility, you're on the wrong form.
Good point Terry_Kennedy@, but it’s all about pure colocation and delivering your own FreeBSD server with full root access and a few jails with plenty of separated storages space . . . no desktop, KVM or virtualbox; so I sure I'm on the right form.

Your post is very clear and now I see that ondra_knezour@ did hit the nail on the head. I’m going to read about all of this today, including checking out chats.
This is probably for system console (VGA or serial). If you use a server with built-in remote management, this can happen over the same network connection as regular access, or on a second network connection. If you use a system that doesn't have that function, then the colo site needs to cable things up to their management system and create accounts for you. Using a server with built-in remote management also means you can reset / power cycle / etc. the box without needing to involve the colo support staff.
Not saying I would go colocation today but if I did, how lost would I be right now :(

Thanks nocentis@ for starting this thread :)

Can anyone here provide any recommendations for FreeBSD virtual hosting from first-hand experience? I know there are lots of providers listed in the Commercial Vendors list, but what I am after is actual hands-on usage from people here.

My needs are quite simple - there will be an application across three jails (one nginx, one uwsgi/Flask, one Redis) serving up 4-5 small data files (<5MBytes each) to 50 users per day.

Many thanks.

Last I heard, Digital Ocean didn't quite have their act together with FreeBSD but that may have been fixed.

I have used Ramnode for a couple of years and really like their personal, direct service and easy to contact tech support.

I'm interested in Vultr.com but haven't pulled the trigger yet until I finish a web site I'm working on. I looked into them because 1) they're in Chicago where a lot of my clients are and 2) they're a bigger company than Ramnode so I like having a backup should they go out of business.

Actually, I forgot that I did turn on one web site I was developing for a company on Vultr. Things were going smoothly but that was only for a couple of weeks so I can't say anything other than it was easy to set up.

Thread merged with an existing thread about hosting, VPS etc.

VDS hosting of these guys http://ua-hosting.company/vps support FreeBSD. Minimal price is 3.99/mo. The most interesting thing the servers are located in Netherlands (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_Netherlands) They provide preconfigured 10.1-RELEASE-p0 system with bash and curl for some reason (I dropped all packages just for sure, maybe that was a merely mild trolling from Penguins). Also I found /etc/defaults/rc.conf was altered (nothing criminal) and reverted it back. Upgrade to 10.2-RELEASE-p2 was lightning fast and I can tell, server compiles kernel and ports pretty fast. Filesystem is UFS, which is disadvantage, of cause (I almost forgot how to backup without zfs send/zfs recv). Access to dead system without support tickets is not possible either - control panel is very spartan - with reboot and cancel server buttons. :)
Paypal is supported with some russian specific payment systems.

Not sure about ESXi they declared. Looks very qemu-kvm for me.

Hi all,

I have been in a position of owning servers for many years now and I have never really looked at cloud based offerings.
Given the large amount of options available on the market, I would value feedback from this forum against the following requirements:

- based in North America (East Coast ideally, Canada preferred but US is perfectly fine) and Europe (not a deal breaker if one offer on each continent)
- targeted for enthusiast in other words affordable (which is highly subjective I know but I need to get an idea of the budget required without breaking the bank)
- planning on hosting owncloud with HA across the two continents and a few standard services, so storage > 500GB and unmetered traffic if that still exists without costing an arm
- ideally involved and supporting the FreeBSD community
- options for baremetal vs VM
- reliable
- monitoring (including alarms if something goes wrong)
- easy payment

I would be curious to see what people are using nowadays for cloud based solutions for FreeBSD so if you have any story than could give me a better idea of what is hot/new/trendy vs old school, that would be nice to read.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably the third time the same question was asked over the last couple of months. You should search for that.

I find myself confused when people ask for "cloud hosting". I thought that was a term for end users, not technical people, and I only use it when I describe things to every day, non-tech people.

If you mean a host, RootBSD will come highly recommended. I use Ramnode but it's just on top of CentOS through KVM. I also use Vultr but it's built the same as Ramnode, however Vultr is a bigger company than Ramnode while Ramnode is easy to get in touch with that small operation.

My apologies if already asked.
Please disregard my original post. I don't think I can close and remove this post myself.
If somebody can do it - just remove it - maybe I will just report myself.
I merged your thread here, but do search the forums for similar recent threads that may pertain to or cover your question before posting in the future. No need to report yourself. :)

I personally use Digital Ocean's $10 a month VPS with FreeBSD 10.2 at their San Francisco data center.
It comes with 1GB of RAM, 30 GB of SSD Storage, and 2 TB of transfer every month. I have had no problems at all. The only concern I have with them is a lack of phone support, as I like to actually talk to someone when stuff goes wrong, but that Is a small cost for the value.

I have been using Vultr.com VPS for FreeBSD 10.2 for a few weeks now. They had a great promo that gives $30 in credit for 30 days. Soon after I signed up it changed to $100 for 60 days. The servers are fast and responsive and I'm thinking about going with them. I see that the post above says you get 30GB for $10/mo, with Vultr you only get 20GB for the same price. :( The support system is dead simple and I get responses in less than 10 minutes. My server did hang once and would not restart and they had that fixed in a few minutes also. They don't have as many tutorials as Digital Ocean but there's nothing stopping you from using the DO tutorials while using Vultr. :)

If you are running a mail server they do block port 25 by default. You just have to send a support ticket and they'll open the port for your account though. :D

http://www.vultr.com (non referral link)
http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6855378 (referral link)

I use ramnode for KVM with FreeBSD 10. Been running it for 3 years now with no problem. I got the 2gb Ram package with 35% off recurring. Ramnode at one time has some of the best deals and you could find codes online to get discounts. Not sure if they still are that way or not. Would easily recommend ramnode.

I would like to report positive experiences with Dutch-based Liteserver, which offers KVM VPSs.

I set up a FreeBSD VPS with which at the beginning I encountered some bizarre failures. Callum kindly offered to set up another VPS for me on a different node where he said he knew for sure several FreeBSD installations were running fine. Since migrating, my VPS (FreeBSD v11.0) has been running flawlessly.

The company offers lots of interesting KVM options depending on whether you need more storage or more traffic:

Traffic VPS Series
Storage VPS Series

SSD VPS Series

Are there any cheap FreeBSD hostings that exposes aesni for VPN needs? I tried different KVM-based 1-5 bucks hostings, but no hardware aes support :(

Back