Freebsd gaming

I see, do you know if it has a GUI?
It has a fairly simple GUI interface. You're going to need to generate a config file first.
Code:
mkdir .mame
cd .mame
mame64 -createconfig
Then edit ~/.mame/mame.ini and set the correct paths for the roms, samples, etc. You're going to need to find and download those roms, they're not included with MAME.

I get an error using mame -createconfig (FreeBSD 12.2 i368):
Code:
[xxx@xxx ~/.mame]$ mame -createconfig
Text segment size exceeds system limit
Abort trap
No mame.ini is written.

When copying the default ini file
Code:
An example configuration file has been installed in
"/usr/local/share/examples/mame/mame.ini"
Should you create a "~/.mame" directory and place it here or
launch "mame -createconfig" and place the mame.ini created instead.

it results in the same error if i want to start mame:

Code:
[xxx@xxx ~]$ mame
Text segment size exceeds system limit
Abort trap

It looks like my gpu hung when I try to run it since it's been happening with certain applications, hopefully I'll wait until the next release comes out to see if this will get fixed.

One of my favorite tricks with GPUs is avoiding them and using the software implementation of OpenGL. Perhaps you can give that a shot?

Code:
$ export LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
$ mame

At the very least it will tell you if there are issues with your GPU / drivers.

It still does the same thing but the UI loads fine. I don't think the physical chip is dying since it hung when it's being pushed to do certain workload.

There's also retroarch, with the right libretro cores, you can use mame 2000, 2003 or final burn neo for arcade games.

MAME doesn't use OpenGL, it will even work with software rendering. Many of the old arcade cabinets didn't even have a special chip for the graphics, let alone 3D graphics.

MAME doesn't use OpenGL, it will even work with software rendering. Many of the old arcade cabinets didn't even have a special chip for the graphics, let alone 3D graphics.
Yes very true but often the emulators still use OpenGL (i.e for accelerated screen scaling). I.e DOSBox and vba-m.

Actually, these days with SDL2, most things use OpenGL behind the scenes, even to draw 2D images.

Looking at the mame port, it looks to drag in Qt. I don't know if that uses accelerated rendering. I know it does happen to drag in Mesa.

Looking at the mame port, it looks to drag in Qt.
I think that's mainly for the interface. I'm not sure, I had a look at updating the port a couple of times and the build process is about as clear as mud.

Foobillard, Kapman, Tomatoes, SDL Jewels, and KPatience.

All of these games are somewhat addicting and do not require special software...kpat might require special kde libraries. I'd add that the only thing foobillard is missing is the pack of newport lights and the bottle of miller, then it'd be all set.

Fallout New Vegas it's my favorite game! Such great gameplay. I've been waiting for this game for a very long time.

Back