Freebsd 14 Wayland Desktop with Wayfire on a MacBook Air

Inspired by pure wayland desktop example i installed Freebsd on my old 2011 Macbook Air as a pure Wayland desktop with Wayfire

in the video below i cover setting up wayland and wayfire with dbus for desktop notification with emacs ednc,
zfs home datasets, beadm boot enviornments, ext2fs kernel module for mounting linux drives, unbound with dnssec and dnscrypt,
obs studio, audio, mpd running as our user, dark themes for gtk qt5 and the alacritty terminal and much more

I was running Freebsd on my macbook air until about 3 years ago when i finally got a Dell XPS 15 2019 model,
so i switched to using that as my main machine running ubuntu, nixos and now fedora

Freebsd 14 Wayland Desktop with Wayfire youtube

freebsd wayland notes from video

note there are some audio glitches in the video because i ran out of memory recording the screen and audio on the macbook air
so its not freebsd fault, ill have to look a using ffmpeg and dmabuf to stream the screen to another machine to get round the issue

i didnt add my wayland set up notes to this post because its rather long
its been about 3 years since i last used Freebsd so i hope im not out of touch with anything

Id love to run Freebsd with Wayland on my Dell XPS 15 2019
does anyone know if the nvidia driver work with wayland and wayfire

freebsd root dotfiles
freebsd dotfiles
freebsd bin

Back