Solved FreeBSD 14.0 planning

Age is no indicator of quality.
True, but being old doesn't automatically mean it's good.

On the negative side, sendmail has acquired a certain amount of cruft (old code) over its long history, with the result that it has a reputation of being insecure and bloated.
As for the “bloatware” charge, it's true that sendmail has a much larger code base than other MTAs such as qmail and Postfix, and a larger RAM footprint too. This probably has at least as much to do with the fact that sendmail is monolithic (one executable provides most of sendmail's functionality) as it does with cruft.
Sendmail also is criticized for its complexity. The syntax of its configuration file, sendmail.cf, is non-instinctive to say the least—in my opinion, its difficulty ranks somewhere between C programming and regular expressions.

Sendmail is cryptic which contributes to its reputation for being difficult to configure. If they replace it with something simpler, that would be fine with me. I would assume you could just install Sendmail from ports if you really love it, as I rip it out and put Postfix in its place. I would prefer they didn't replace it with Postfix, though, as being in ports frees it from constraints that Base might need.

Ok, if you're a sysadmin and have 39485793 cron jobs running, it may make sense if they can send you mail if something is wrong. But as a casual user, i don't like the system sending me mail.

But any attempts to remove something based on age alone is misguided.
Yes, you're right. But removing something because it's bloated, insecure and complex is justified.

Most systems, if not all, have some built in method for sending you mail or alerts of some sort.
Yes. But honestly, who reads that mail? I don't.

Btw:
I am currently on a Linux server system which doesn't have mail installed by default:
Code:
xxx@xxx:~$ mail
Command 'mail' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install mailutils

removing something because it's bloated, insecure and complex is justified.
Methinks there are many who will disagree with your opinion of sendmail.

honestly, who reads that mail? I don't.
I do but neither of us represent the thousands of others who use it and I'd bet most of them do.

I am currently on a Linux server system which doesn't have mail installed by default:
Let's not bring up Linux faults in this thread.

And many agree, see for example https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-stop-sendmail-100.79186/ or the abundance of tutorials on how to disable sendmail you find with Google.

do but neither of us represent the thousands of others who use it and I'd bet most of them do.
Yes, we can only speak for ourselves.

Let's not bring up Linux faults in this thread.
Sorry, i can see that this may be disturbing.

Yes. But honestly, who reads that mail? I don't.
If you have ever used a desktop environment that pops up with a notification that your download is done, you have new hardware added, etc.. This is effectively the same thing.

The terminal message of "you have new mail" is the UNIX way of doing notifications. The mail in this case is results of cron jobs, hardware changes, etc.

I think sendmail was a little overly complex for what it was and I am fine for it to be replaced. However, if they remove it without a replacement, I do see that more as a regression.

Just for the records, here is the most recent mail server survey:
Code:
Server Type 	Number of Servers 	Percent
Exim             291,497             60.25%
Postfix          158,999             32.86%
Sendmail         17,252               3.57%

Yes. A quick count shows nine copies of sendmail running across both Linux and FreeBSD hosts, and that's just the ones I use personally.

Getting status notifications about problems from utilities like sysutils/smartmontools actually matters to me, so I do run smartcheck from cron and read the emails. The alternative is to let my systems fail hard.

Sendmail is certainly complex, but it addresses a complex task. I am not aware of any broad-scale security issues, and the complexity issues are largely obfuscated for the casual user with pre-prepared configurations (change a couple of lines in freebsd.mc, and run make). I must admit that I would consider using postfix for a greenfield. However I am completely certain that sendmail furnishes functionality in esoteric circumstances where others would struggle. So I hope and expect it will endure.

eternal_noob Never heard of that company. Only lists less than 500,000 MX servers. So there's that. I concur with gpw928 but would have also considered exim.

Toward the end of my web dev company, I was looking into postfix and exim. Postfix seemed to have a config file much like sendmail and didn't make me want to switch if I was only switching to the same thing.

We did a lot of interfacing with sendmail using C to keep track of visitors, users, customers, etc. It was the best method when we started out 18 years ago.

Only lists less than 500,000 MX servers.
Yes, not every mail server responds with a banner to be identified.
As indicated by the above table, of the 857,797 servers queried, only 483,818 servers responded with a banner that allow us to identify the software being used. All of the remaining information in this report is based on the responses that allowed us to identify the software in use.
But there is a good chance that these aren't sendmail.

I feel like this thread is just folks venting. Nothing really wrong with that, but those who want to work for something being included or excluded would probably have better results filing pr's. (Though I'm sure there's a pr for removing sendmail, adding postfix, etc.)
RedHat did that several years ago, removing sendmail and adding postfix and while I know Linux bashing can waste another 20 posts, it hasn't hurt them, or even their reputation, which took lots more damage from a myriad of things.

I do remember the old joke, someone, wanting to curse in irc posts something like
@$#E#*@%%@!!)

Someone else writes, Please don't post your sendmail configuration in channel.

Back