Frame.work notebook, 12th gen Intel

I don't like touchpads, so I don't really care if they work or not. I use a no-name USB mouse anyway, it works. My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 720s-13ARR, GPU is amdgpu_raven (so amdgpu works fine). It may look silly on my end, but I see touchpads as kind of a decoration on the laptops, and I personally prefer for it to be smack in the middle under the keyboard... off-center stuff like what I see on 15-inch and larger laptops - I just don't like how it looks. :p
I get your point. I used to prefer the red dot on my thinkpads over the touchpads any day of the week. Unfortunately, the framework doesn't give you that alternative.

Comes with the "Apple look", I suppose. Had a couple of people ask me whether I got myself a MacBook. Not sure, if I should feel offended :)

it's amazing what a hobbyist can come up with
I believe, framework is working on an enclosure that allows you to recycle your mainboards into desktops, once you upgrade. So there might be a simple COTS alternative some point in the future.

I believe, framework is working on an enclosure that allows you to recycle your mainboards into desktops, once you upgrade. So there might be a simple COTS alternative some point in the future.
Do you mean these?

I've thought about building a wireless access point with one of those.

I've probably seen a Discord user (vince_darkrain, I think) who got FreeBSD running on a frame.work laptop with a 12th gen i7, iirc.

That looks really cool… I’m just not keen on buying a machine and hoping it works at some undetermined point in the future! That’s a heck of a gamble. I want to be using FreeBSD today.

The 11th generation laptops work just fine with 13.1. Problem is they only have 'em available with German keyboards :'‑(

Yeah I had seen some notes about 11th gen (maybe yours?) and check the website every week or so to see if they have US keyboards. They could corner the high-end FreeBSD laptop market it if they wanted! Apparently it's too small of a market for anyone to want to dominate.

12th gen frame.work is still work in progress, particularly because of the graphics chip. I'm working with @dumbbell on this. I'm actually testing as I write this.

There are also plans for a 16 inch framework according to a newsletter I received this week.

I was wondering the same thing as cracauer, whether the AMD one will run with drm-kmod in its current version. My workstation is a Ryzen 7 with integrated graphics and that works fine, but that's like saying "i5 works".

11th gen works as a daily driver. Just don't ramp it up to 64GB RAM. Somehow that makes it incredibly unstable. At least for me, going down to 32GB RAM was the only thing that made it bearable. Otherwise I was seeing random crashes without anything in the logs. Maybe the second RAM socket has issues. And yes, I replaced everything else beforehand. Even the wifi chips in multiple variations, nvme drive and so on.

Right now, my concern for 'Daily Driver' is frankly memory management with www/firefox... That port's memory leaks are a deal breaker for me, even worse than wifi drivers. And unfortunately, www/falkon is not stable enough to be a viable replacement for www/firefox... 😩 Not to mention the problem of memory leaks are probably present in Falkon, as well...

Unfortunately it looks like ATI RDNA 3 support didn't make it into Linux until version 6.1 (I think. It's frustratingly hard to find out.) Since cmoerz and friends are still working on Linux 5.17, this is likely a long ways off.

Edit: this is the best I could do for finding out kernel versions / AMD GPU support

Yup, Jose is right - we're stuck at 5.17 at the moment.

There have been some considerable changes in how linux deals with framebuffer devices and also Intel is starting to rely more and more on their firmware code, which is making troubleshooting an exercise in futility.

There's hope though. Recent modifications seem to have gotten 5.17 to a place that starts working, though my tests raised a couple new questions...

In summary - 6.1 is still a good long way out. Bringing patches over from linux has become a lot easier thanks to some automation scripts that do most of the heavy lifting. However, it's a very sequential process that is hard to parallelize. So only one person can really work on it.

Anyone interested in having a go at recent developments, check out @dumbbell's github. You'll need both his base and drm-kmod because there's also some changes in linuxkpi and vt. If you're feeling lucky, you can try my vt-tng branch of core and his drm-kmod. The latter is still broken atm though.

they only have 'em available with German keyboards
I recently circumvented that by buying a replacement US keyboard. Costs around $100 extra but you'll have an emergency backup keyboard, in case you spill your coffee :)

Can't say whether they still have replacement units in stock though.

There are also plans for a 16 inch framework according to a newsletter I received this week.
I'm just afraid that it will have "Optimus" like functionality where you can switch between integrated graphics and the real GPU while thingie is running. That doesn't even work right on Linux. I'd probably be using the graphics slot for the 2x M.2 SSD option :mad:

Right now, my concern for 'Daily Driver' is frankly memory management with www/firefox... That port's memory leaks are a deal breaker for me, even worse than wifi drivers. And unfortunately, www/falkon is not stable enough to be a viable replacement for www/firefox... 😩 Not to mention the problem of memory leaks are probably present in Falkon, as well...

Did you try whether a Linux binary of Firefox behaves the same way?

I recently circumvented that by buying a replacement US keyboard. Costs around $100 extra but you'll have an emergency backup keyboard, in case you spill your coffee :)

Can't say whether they still have replacement units in stock though.
I emailed to ask if I can buy the $39 US keyboard separately and replace the German/French keyboard with it. Though I don’t understand how it would be out of stock in the first place if that is possible.

You said $100 so I’m guessing you got an entire input cover kit rather than just the keyboard?

Back