Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so here's an odd one: you can't cancel your message.

@fonz beat me to the "go to the board index" comment (I'm very happy to see that notification feature still remains intact) but then you can't cancel. For people used to forum software it's not a problem, but I can imagine people who don't use forums all that often to become confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
fonz said:
I for one would very much like to see the "New posts" link (or actually rather "Unread posts", in phpBB parlance) on every page instead of only on the main page.

I feel that "Unread posts" is a problem. The computer can't know what I've read or not read (I hope!), so what we need is "New posts". I belong to another forum where anything that has been displayed will disappear and one has to log out to see all posts again. Constantly logging in and out is a poor solution in my opinion. Perhaps the phpBB folks have their own brand of language, but I'm just pointing out what in my experience works and and what doesn't.

Dealing with the new forums

First, fix the unbelievably wrong Firefox defaults:
Edit/Preferences/Tabs
Enable When I open a link in a new tab, switch to it immediately

Now go to the forums and click "View new posts". Middle-click a thread that looks interesting. It will open in a new tab. When done with that thread, close that tab and you'll be back at the list of new posts.

Re: Dealing with the new forums

But it will be the same list as before. No? It doesn't seem to refresh when the page is refreshed.

If you refresh, the icons for threads that have been read change from red to gray.

Oops. (blush) I guess I didn't wait long enough, having just assumed that there were new posts since the last time I looked. Yes, the icons change colour. Thanks.

Beastie said:
Then happy birthday! :beer
Thanks :beergrin The happiness was somewhat diminished because my cat died earlier this afternoon, but then again she was already old and ill so it wasn't much of a surprise anymore when the vet suggested that giving her a shot to end her suffering was the most "humane" thing to do. But still, even though cats usually only live to be about ten or fifteen years old and I've had several cats over the years, if you have them for long enough you'll bond with them enough to feel quite sad when they die.

Farewell dear Camel (name given by someone else, BTW), I'll miss you. :(

I'm glad to see the forums going open source. I hope everything gets sorted well. That said, there is no thread title under 'Last Post' on the main page. Just the last person to post in that category.

brd@ said:
I noticed the spam problem and got it sorted. From the import the guest user had access to post in all the forums and so you can see what happened.
Which just goes to show, I suppose. @DutchDaemon already catches lots of spammers when they even try to sign up and the rest of us are making short work of whatever manages to sneak through the cracks. This forum may appear almost spam-free, but believe you me it's not like the spammers aren't trying. Except for the little glitch that happened when the forums were first migrated, most spammers are just not smart enough to get through here :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I noticed: when viewing new/unread posts it appears to no longer show which threads you have posted in and in which you haven't. Not a big deal as far as I'm concerned, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I've stopped using FireFox a long time ago in favour of SeaMonkey, but considering how it uses the same engine I wonder if using control + mouse click won't do the same? That's what I always use to open a link in a new tab.

But; I don't have the option turned on that it should switch to new tabs right away, I dislike that. I usually go over the list of new posts, control-click the threads I want and then I can use the first tab (the list) to do other things if I need to (like using Google or the likes).

Why must I login to see the "View new posts" search link? Normally I would look at the "new posts", then login IF there was anything interesting worth commenting about. Now I have to login, see that there's nothing interesting and logout.

Which brings up another question: are there any clients which can be used to read and port to the forums other than browsers? RSS comes to mind - I never used it.

Finally, more humor: In the "User Control Panel", under "Usergroups", there's this gem:
Banned Users: This is an open group, members can apply to join.

On Firefox, middle-click does the same thing as control-click, or right-click+"Open in new tab".

As far as immediately switching to a tab, as long as it does what you expect, no problem.

Indeed. there appear to be some issues with CMD and FILE and there are a bunch of tags that don't work at all yet, such as ANCHOR, PORT, MAN. NOPARSE etc. I'm pretty sure the admins are busy working on that and other stuff, so all should be well soon.

dvl@ said:
Is there a post/thread regarding the change over?
Some things are being reported in this thread, if that's what you mean. If you mean whether there's some sort of transition guide that highlights the differences with the old forum, then no, not yet.

Re:

Beeblebrox said:
Finally, more humor: In the "User Control Panel", under "Usergroups", there's this gem:
Banned Users: This is an open group, members can apply to join.
Nice find :) I suppose the admins just haven't had time yet to change the descriptions and turn off join requests. Do note that you can't ban yourself that way, though: your join request has to be approved by a "group leader" and the group of banned users probably doesn't have any leaders.

One thing I've noticed as being missing is that posts used to get edited titles if the problem being asked about was [solved] in the ensuing discussion. Now there is no obvious indication in the post title if the problem was resolved, so has that indication been lost from historical posts? It was a very useful feature when trying to find solutions to problems you were experiencing.

And the forum used to not let new users post without moderation for their first (10?) posts, now it just let me post directly here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back