Forums Migration

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • I like the old brighter red. It was the same color as the Beastie Logo (I know, brd@ will get to it eventually).
  • I don't like the grey - white alternating post reads (I know, brd@ will get to it eventually).
  • What I really want to get back at the earliest, is the "Latest Posts" search quick-link.
  • I don't see the user-settings link (I know, brd@ will get to it eventually).
That said, here's my risk-taking idea of the day: one would assume the moderators are too busy with the migration, so feel free to make grammar and style "mistakes". Then blame it on the migration code.

Wow is this ever different. I think it's possible to flip the sidebar back to the left, I'm having trouble getting used to that.

xy16644 said:
Beastie said:
there should be a link to the search function.
Thanks but where did you find the link to click to search the ENTIRE forum?
In the "Search options", you must select all the available forum/subforums, i.e. click "The FreeBSD Forums", hold and drag the mouse to the bottom, or simply click anywhere in the list and press "Ctrl+A".

Beeblebrox said:
That said, here's my risk-taking idea of the day: One would assume the Moderators are to busy with the migration, so feel free to make grammar and style "mistakes". Then blame it on the migration code.
LOL

One more thing: the "Reply with quote" button (
icon_post_quote.gif
) should be visible when you're not logged in, just like the "Post a reply" button (
button_topic_reply.gif
) is right now, so you can login/reply in a single operation.

Beeblebrox said:
That said, here's my risk-taking idea of the day: one would assume the moderators are too busy with the migration, so feel free to make grammar and style "mistakes". Then blame it on the migration code.
Nice try ;) But no dice §e The migration is an admin job, not a moderator job.

I didn't spot if anyone else commented on this but the forum main index does not list the thread titles on the last post column like the old forums used to do. Now there's just the username of the last post.

DutchDaemon said:
You have to remember we're working from a baseline of default settings. Things will change over time. The password requirements have been relaxed now (except we need a minimum of eight positions).

Awesome, thanks!

So far, there's one small thing that made me happy with the change. On the old vBulletin, when I'd click on a post/forum and read/mark as read and then hit the browser's back button, it wouldn't show up as read until I refreshed the page. With phpbb, it works as expected. Nothing major, just an "ooh that's nice" moment.

Congratulations on the successful move!

The Servers and Networking section lists the sub-sections in inverse order from the old site. Used to be:

Firewalls
Networking
Web & Network Services

Is this intentional? All other Sections are listed in the same order as the old site near as I can tell.

It looks much more professional now, despite a couple of things that could be optimised. I had to change my password - but it was machine generated and quite paranoid.

Savagedlight said:
Before, I would go to User Control Panel to see activity on my subscribed threads. Where has this gone with the switch to phpbb?
Seems there are two three options now. (couldn't resist trying this out ;)).

The first is a change I actually welcome; there's a "view your posts" link on the main page (upper left corner). I like that approach because I more than often go over some of my older messages to check for typing mistakes and the likes.

Next you can bookmark topics. Those which you bookmarked can be found in your control panel: Overview -> Manage bookmarks. And here I also discovered the third option, on the same page you have "Manage subscriptions".

However, the option to automatically subscribe to new threads (those you participated in) seems to be missing at this moment. So at the time of writing you'd have to enable the option yourself when writing a message (at the bottom).

Thanks, @ShelLuser!
ShelLuser said:
However, the option to automatically subscribe to new threads (those you participated in) seems to be missing at this moment. So at the time of writing you'd have to enable the option yourself when writing a message (at the bottom).
This can be set by going to user control panel -> board preferences -> posting preferences, and enabling "Notify me upon replies by default". :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Savagedlight said:
Thanks, @ShelLuser!
ShelLuser said:
This can be set by going to user control panel -> board preferences -> posting preferences, and enabling "Notify me upon replies by default". :)
Doh :O

I can't believe I overlooked that, oh well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, a small summing up of things I noticed during my brief run in the new environment. I would like to stress out that these aren't complaints but merely points which I noticed and I figured I might as well share them here. I'm not commenting on the state of the forum until after a week or so, in my opinion that's the only way to make sure that you actually tried to become used to the new environment.

• Tags seem case sensitive now. So you'll see many posts which have unparsed tags such as {FILE} and such. (I used {} instead of [] on purpose here).
  • The {NOPARSE} tag doesn't seem to function right now. That can become a nuisance in some cases, for example: "You can exit the vi editor by using :q".
  • {CODE} blocks don't parse BB code any longer. This is cosmetic and not a big problem; but I know many people (myself included) used that function to emphasize certain lines in a block of output to easier direct attention to it. It would be good to know if that change is permanent, because then I'd have to edit a few posts.
  • It is currently not possible to add a reason why a post was edited. The reason I consider this a small issue is because it used to be an easy way to quickly share what you changed (I know you can add an 'edit' remark but sometimes I'm just really lazy ;)).
  • I can't rule out that I'm not overlooking something here but I just noticed that you can no longer check what changed in a message. That was a very welcome option because I actually paid attention to the changes which the moderators made. I could imagine this to become a little harder.

Edit: Added {CODE} block item, added message change history item, "s/new/the\ new/", Changed [] to {} in NOPARSE entry.

ShelLuser said:
The tag doesn't seem to function right now. That can become a nuisance in some cases[/quote]
Quite right. Try reading the [i]Rules and Guidelines[/i] forum and more specifically the post on formatting.

[quote="ShelLuser"]{CODE} blocks don't parse BB code any longer. This is cosmetic and not a big problem;[/quote]
I think it is. I'm a particular advocate of using {CMD} inside {CODE} and there are also several people who use (within reason!) {COLOR} or {HIGHLIGHT} within {CODE} tags.

[quote="ShelLuser"]It is currently not possible to add a reason why a post was edited.[/quote]
Hmm, I'll look into that. I do see a [i]"Reason for editing"[/i] field. In fact, I used it on your last post :)

[quote="ShelLuser"]I can't rule out that I'm not overlooking something here but I just noticed that you can no longer check what changed in a message.[/quote]
Now that you mention it, I can't seem to find diffs anymore either.

I also see that subscription to threads works different then before the migration. Now I get email notification for every thread that I am subscribed to, but in vBulletin I did not got them (I only had these threads as subscribed with email notification OFF).

So, now that I finished reading this thread, how do I get back to the list of new posts?

Keep it coming, guys.

Surely the admins are busy working on all sorts of things, but I'm sure that reminders are always welcome. What's more, sometimes things look and/or work differently for forum staff than they do for mortal users, so it's not entirely impossible that you can see things that we can't.

I for one would very much like to see the "New posts" link (or actually rather "Unread posts", in phpBB parlance) on every page instead of only on the main page.

Also, I can't access the hidden forums (a playground for the forum staff). But that's probably just a temporary issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back