Other Format for a second disc

I'm testing with ntfs-3g and when I copy or move a file to disk when restarting, no changes are saved. That is, the file copied to the ntfs disk is missing.
Command: sudo ntfs-3g \dev\ada3s1 \mnt\ntfs

I presume you get no error when copying? Are you sure the mount is working? There's an option to add debug -o debug, perhaps use that?

… the file copied to the ntfs disk is missing. …

If not visible in Windows, did you actively check the file system – before ejecting from Windows and when reintroducing the disk to Windows?

(Recall: Windows can report that a drive is error-free when truly, there are errors.)

I'm testing with ntfs-3g and when I copy or move a file to disk when restarting, no changes are saved. That is, the file copied to the ntfs disk is missing.
Command: sudo ntfs-3g \dev\ada3s1 \mnt\ntfs
A: On the writing FreeBSD side, make sure the file system was properly unmounted. Until it is unmounted, changes to the file system can be held in memory. On the reading Windows side, make sure the file system was completely re-mounted and all caches cleared. Personally, I would do a full shutdown of FreeBSD, followed by a cold boot (not restart from hibernation or sleep) of Windows.

B: Writing foreign file systems is always dangerous and full of pitfalls. You seem to have found one of them: Caching. Someone (either on the FreeBSD or the Windows side) is not updating their caches correctly. I'm not surprised.

Old joke: There are only two hard problems in software: Caching, naming things, and off-by-one errors.

Back