Solved Firefox tabs crash on Raspberry Pi

No question, just posting the solution for Firefox's (www/firefox-esr) massive suffering from tab crashes when running it on arm64 on a Raspberry Pi.

Took me 2 weeks to find out that the internal WebGL engine does not like the software (only) rendering of the xf86-video-scfb driver.

Solution is simple:
  1. Open the browser settings page. To do this, type in the address bar: about:config.
  2. In the search box, type in: webgl.
  3. Find line "webgl.disabled". It has the "false" value. It is necessary to change it to "true". To do this simply click twice on this line.
Voilà, no more crashes.

Last edited:
I wondered about this too. Every sane programmer would have called it "webgl.enabled".
The folks at Mozilla drink too much, i guess.
beer-fridge.jpg

I too feel deep repugnance for where browsers are going, the fact google seems to control that direction, the complexities of it and the overall bloated nature of them just baffles me. They consume gigabytes of RAM for their stupid javascript and other web processing nonsense. For crying out loud, javascript is used for speculative exploitation. Seriously, what does that say about the state of the web browser?

I can see why google does it; it's about monetising the www. Slowly but surely all alternatives have died and firefox is one of the few left mainly funded by google, not to fight the good fight but to stave off anti-competitive legislation from governments.

Netscape was the pinnacle; it's all been downhill since then.
/rant

eternal_noob, what pi was it on? Specs?

Isn't Firefox awfully heavy for the Pi? yeah, FF has the features, and Pi does have a bit of muscle, but still... and people try to run stuff like Mathematica on Pi, and mine on it, too... Just looking at the whole thing from the sidelines, it looks like a single donkey is asked to pull a truckload of concrete.
1631646620838.png

Back