Finished: CALL FOR TESTERS Intel wireless 5100/5300 iwn(4) driver for FreeBSD

You should be able to just call # kldload if_iwn to get the driver loaded. After that # ifconfig iwn0 will show the device. You do NOT need to install additional drivers. If this does for whatever reason not work, post the output of # pciconf -lv.

Thanks! That worked! I tried editing the rc.conf to get that to perform automatically, it was however, unsuccessful. I added the following lines

Code:
if_iwn_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
ifconfig_iwn="SSID NAME DHCP"

Even after I load it automatically with the kldload though, I cant successfully connect to an unsecured network. I tried the wlan command to no avail. I tried changing wlan in the rc.conf to iwn because I figured that it might have just been a generic adapter name.

Nevermind all that, I realized that some thing that were in rc.conf needed to be in loader.conf. I figured out how to connect. Thanks again for all your help. Now its time to make a new thread and get xorg running.

System crash due to iwn5100 loading on resume

Hello,

after I installed the new nvidia video driver, my system was finally going to suspend to RAM. Resume on the other hand made the system crash. I figured out that this was due to the if_iwn.ko. Interestingly, even adding the driver to rc.suspend and reloading the module manually after resume makes the system crash...!?

The driver works perfectly fine otherwise.

Code:
System: 8.1-STABLE #0: Sat Jul 31 19:34:59 IST 2010 /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Thanks in advance!

comfortableodo said:
Hello,

after I installed the new nvidia video driver, my system was finally going to suspend to RAM. Resume on the other hand made the system crash. I figured out that this was due to the if_iwn.ko. Interestingly, even adding the driver to rc.suspend and reloading the module manually after resume makes the system crash...!?

The driver works perfectly fine otherwise.

System: 8.1-STABLE #0: Sat Jul 31 19:34:59 IST 2010 /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Thanks in advance!

I'm aware of a similar issue where it is not possible to use an iwn(4) device after resume. That is not related to the driver itself though, but to ACPI. Somehow the PCI resources aren't restored correctly by either ACPI of the BIOS. Can you compare the # pciconf -l -bcv output before suspend and after resume without the driver loaded?

bschmidt said:
I'm aware of a similar issue where it is not possible to use an iwn(4) device after resume. That is not related to the driver itself though, but to ACPI. Somehow the PCI resources aren't restored correctly by either ACPI of the BIOS. Can you compare the # pciconf -l -bcv output before suspend and after resume without the driver loaded?

Hello,

sorry for the late reply. I attached the output of # pciconf -l -bcv before suspend (pciconf.suspend) and after resume (pciconf.resume).

Here the output of # diff pciconf.suspend pciconf.resume for convenience:

Code:
12c12
<     cap 0d[88] = PCI Bridge card=0x408c17c0
---
>     cap 0d[88] = PCI Bridge card=0x00008086
181,183d180
<     cap 01[c8] = powerspec 3  supports D0 D3  current D0
<     cap 05[d0] = MSI supports 1 message, 64 bit 
<     cap 10[e0] = PCI-Express 1 endpoint max data 128(128) link x1(x1)

comfortableodo said:
Hello,

sorry for the late reply. I attached the output of # pciconf -l -bcv before suspend (pciconf.suspend) and after resume (pciconf.resume).

Code:
12c12
---
181,183d180

Attachments

• pciconf.suspend.txt
    10.2 KB · Views: 255
  • pciconf.resume.txt
    10 KB · Views: 282
comfortableodo said:
Hello,

Code:
12c12
---
181,183d180

Yeah, that's what I expected, caps aren't restored correctly.

I'm not aware that this is in 8-stable already, mind giving it a shot? It seems to be related.

bschmidt said:
Yeah, that's what I expected, caps aren't restored correctly.

I'm not aware that this is in 8-stable already, mind giving it a shot? It seems to be related.

Dear Bernhard,

what would actually be the best way to apply those patches. Just manually, by downloading them and overwriting the original source files or is there any other/better way?

Regards!

I was redirected over here from another thread regarding the Intel Centrino 6300 card. Will this patch for the 5300 work for the updated card?

CalBear96 said:
I was redirected over here from another thread regarding the Intel Centrino 6300 card. Will this patch for the 5300 work for the updated card?

Basic support (as in you're able to use it) for 6300 series cards should be in 8-stable and head. There are a few features missing, though, that shouldn't matter that much. Please let me know if that works for you.

bschmidt said:
Basic support (as in you're able to use it) for 6300 series cards should be in 8-stable and head. There are a few features missing, though, that shouldn't matter that much. Please let me know if that works for you.

Thank you, I will. My new laptop is about to be ordered and after I get it I will be sure to post results. I just wanted to make sure that FreeBSD would work with the majority of the hardware found on the new computer. I currently use Ubuntu on my old laptop, but would like to learn more about "what's under the hood" and thought BSD was a good choice. Especially since it was being developed while I was at Berkeley.

I fail!

Code:
Heyas-iMac:~ Heya$ svn co [url]http://svn.techwires.net/svn/projects/freebsd[/url]
Checked out revision 117.
Heyas-iMac:~ Heya$ cd freebsd/sys/modules/iwnfw
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ make
Makefile:5: *** missing separator.  Stop.
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ make install
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ cd ../iwn
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$ env CFLAGS=-I$PWD/../../ make
Makefile:8: *** missing separator.  Stop.
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$ make install
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$

Thats all I get when I run the SVN in post #16. I can figure out the manual install.

Heya said:
Code:
Heyas-iMac:~ Heya$ svn co [url]http://svn.techwires.net/svn/projects/freebsd[/url]
Checked out revision 117.
Heyas-iMac:~ Heya$ cd freebsd/sys/modules/iwnfw
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ make
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ make install
Heyas-iMac:iwnfw Heya$ cd ../iwn
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$ env CFLAGS=-I$PWD/../../ make
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$ make install
Heyas-iMac:iwn Heya$

Thats all I get when I run the SVN in post #16. I can figure out the manual install.

Do you have the FreeBSD sources installed in /usr/src?

What are you trying to achieve? Everything from the repository is already available in 8.1-RELEASE.

iwin0 - error 22 - unable to initialize hardware

Hi,

I've previously posted on this thread - http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=19839 - regarding the inability the failure of my Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 wireless card to properly initialize.

The exact error:

Code:
iwn0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 6250> mem 0xd7300000-0xd7301fff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci7
iwn0: MIMO 2T2R, MoW, address 00:23:15:6a:77:f0
iwn0: iwn5000-send-calib_results: could not send calibration result idx=1, error=22
iwn0: iwn_init_locked: could not initialize hardware, error 22

If anybody can help me get this wireless interface working, I'd be much obliged. BTW, it works perfectly fine on 64-bit Windows 7 (I dual-boot the laptop).

Thanks.

Tom

Back