Finished: CALL FOR TESTERS Intel wireless 5100/5300 iwn(4) driver for FreeBSD

bschmidt

Might you try a different channel? I don't see it yet, but there might be an issue with channel 12 and 13.

bschmidt

Arg.. I mixed up a few things here.

The issue you see is a race between devd and netif. Please don't use netif for now. Short version: wpa_supplicant is started twice (you can verify this with ps).

To restart/reload wireless settings use
# kldunload if_iwn
# kldload if_iwn
instead, devd will call netif then.

LesJen

There is a choice called "Enable Auto Channel Scan" that makes the ap choose the channel. I've now disabled it and choosen channel 6. I'll let you know if it makes any difference.

/Leslie

LesJen

I wrote earlier about a problem with LAGG. See
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=73301&postcount=281

I've now got some help to make a kernel debug and also suggestions on trying STABLE because of the updates.

If you have developed the driver beyond version 62 which is the latest according to
http://svn.techwires.net/viewvc/viewvc.cgi/svnrepos/projects/freebsd/sys/dev/iwn/?view=log

If there are updates that are in STABLE but not posted on the above list, would you consider making it availible?

bschmidt

Actually stable lags behind ;) There are some changes in head/stable which I won't commit, simply because those require changes to net80211 which breaks support for release users.

LesJen

bschmidt said:
Actually stable lags behind ;) There are some changes in head/stable which I won't commit, simply because those require changes to net80211 which breaks support for release users.

OK! Thanks for answering. I'll keep my cool until 8.1 is released :)

Ysaldor

Hello !

I'am a newbie to FreeBSD and im runing on PC-BSD release.

I'have installed your drivers normally.
I can see the networks ssid in the kde-network config but when i try to connect(a box by DHCP), the OS crashes and reboot....x(

Thank you in advance and forgive me for my bad English.:e

djeeke

driver build issue

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'm trying to get my 5100 to work on my laptop...

I'm not sure this thread is still being monitored as I see its 'Finished'.
But I want to give it a try ...

When following instructions as per post 16 I get an error at the second 'make' command ...
Anybody any idea why this would be the case ?

The error message :
Code:
FreeBeaSD# env CFLAGS=-I$PWD/../../ make
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn
cc -Werror -D_KERNEL -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc  -I/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../ -I. -I@ -I@/contrib/altq -finline-limit=8000 --param 
inline-unit-growth=100 --param large-function-growth=1000 -fno-common  -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  -mno-mmx -mno-
3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-sse3 -ffreestanding -fstack-protector -std=iso9899:1999 -fstack-protector -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-
externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -Wundef -Wno-pointer-sign -fformat-extensions -c 
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c: In function 'iwn_vap_create':
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:757: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ieee80211_amrr_init'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:757: warning: nested extern declaration of 'ieee80211_amrr_init'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c: In function 'iwn_vap_delete':
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:774: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ieee80211_amrr_cleanup'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:774: warning: nested extern declaration of 'ieee80211_amrr_cleanup'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c: In function 'iwn_newassoc':
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:1880: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ieee80211_amrr_node_init'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:1880: warning: nested extern declaration of 'ieee80211_amrr_node_init'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c: In function 'iwn_tx_done':
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2361: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ieee80211_amrr_tx_complete'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2361: warning: nested extern declaration of 'ieee80211_amrr_tx_complete'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2362: error: 'IEEE80211_AMRR_FAILURE' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2362: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2362: error: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2365: error: 'IEEE80211_AMRR_SUCCESS' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c: In function 'iwn_tx_data':
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2855: warning: implicit declaration of function 'ieee80211_amrr_choose'
/usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn/../../dev/iwn/if_iwn.c:2855: warning: nested extern declaration of 'ieee80211_amrr_choose'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/freebsd/sys/modules/iwn.
FreeBeaSD# 

My newly installed system :
Code:
FreeBeaSD# uname -a
FreeBSD FreeBeaSD.local.net 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #0: Thu Jun 10 13:02:11 CEST 2010     
djeeke@FreeBeaSD.local.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
FreeBeaSD#  

I installed from an 8.0 RELEASE and read somewhere 8.0 stable has a good driver so I tried to upgrade to stable but ended up with this 8.1 Prerelease... Guess I missed out something in cvs) Never mind as long as I can get my wireless up and running...

Thanks for any hints !!! (or telling me I should put on my glasses :e )

Replying can take a while as I don't often have a 'wired access' �e

oliverh

Aspiring Daemon

@djeeke

Stable already has this driver, so no real need to install the separate driver.

djeeke

OK Oliver,

Will try to see what I did wrong with CVSUP so it fetched 8.1 Prerelease instead of 8.0 stable...

Thanks !

djeeke

hmmmmm....

I checked and I did use RELENG_8

Why did I end up with 8.1 Prerelease ????

Will retry once I get a wired connection again...

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

RELENG_8 = the 8-STABLE tree, and the 8-STABLE tree is now at version 8.1-PRERELEASE. There may be some RC (Release Candidate) versions, and after the appearance of 8.1-RELEASE it will become 8.1-STABLE.

djeeke

DutchDaemon said:
RELENG_8 = the 8-STABLE tree, and the 8-STABLE tree is now at version 8.1-PRERELEASE. There may be some RC (Release Candidate) versions, and after the appearance of 8.1-RELEASE it will become 8.1-STABLE.

OK, so this means it's correct that I'm at 8.1 Prerelease ...
So I did not mess up my CVSUP :p

I mentioned I had this one in my first posting and got told I needed STABLE to get the wireless driver...

So back to start...
How do I get STABLE today ????
I would like to get my wireless up and running !!!!

Thanks guys :stud

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Developer

Like I said 'STABLE today' == '8.1-PRERELEASE right now'.

mikejc

any idea how to get the wifi card on when it says disabled by hardware switch? the hardware switch itself is on, but this laptop requires a fn+f2 keypress also. in windows, its a seperate driver called WSS.
wlan0: Ethernet address: 00:13:e8:06:bc:9b
iwn0: radio is disabled by hardware switch

as I stated, the physical switch that is a capacitive switch is on. The FN+F2 keypress does not turn on the wifi LED.

yoshisakan

drbsd said:
Hi,

I have a Thinkpad SL510 with Intel 1000 link wireless card and I had to modify if_iwn.c in the code found on svn co http://svn.techwires.net/svn/projects/freebsd/ to make it works (otherwise it panic)

Apparently the problem is, for this chip, the driver try to read a OTPROM in place of an EEPROM, then I comment line 1479 :

Code:
		// sc->sc_flags |= IWN_FLAG_HAS_OTPROM;

to workaround this... And it works well, I downloaded the entire FreeBSD sources and ports with the computer.

I know it's bad but it works, and I am not good enough to do something else, but maybe someone could make something better.

Thanks for the find here. After 2 hours of searching, I finally found that. I am using an ASUS laptop with an Intel wifi 1000 adapter. FreeBSD 8.1 amd64. I am new to the console world, besides using DOS when I was 6 or 7 years old. My newb question is, where do I put the file? Then I'm going to want to run kldload on it to execute, and put a line in my loader.conf? Then add a few lines to the rc.conf to tell it what to do with the adapter, such as assign DHCP automatically, and select a type of encryption that I'd like to use. I've been going at this freeBSD thing for the past 4 days so I apologize for my lack of knowledge. I did manage to get an apache and an unreal ircd server running though!

bschmidt

The 1000 series card should work without any kind of modifications in 8.1. If that is not the case, please let me know what doesn't work.

For a howto on setting up wireless in FreeBSD, read the handbook, you will find everything you need there.

yoshisakan

THanks for the reply. I've been reading the manual and im confident that I can set up the device, once it is detected. An ifconfig displays my ethernet and the lo0 loop back, but no wireless adapter. I figured i would need to do a kldload on the driver and then put something in loader.conf. Im new to all this though, and I haven't successfully executed anything with kldload, no that it fails, its just that I dont know what type of files it will open. Now that I found the 1000 series wireless driver, what folder do I want to put it in? When all this is done, im going to start making a FreeBSD for noobs FAQ thread.