Solved Fatal error on "make clean" after compiling GNOME

Hello everyone and I apologize for disturbing you, but I need your help.

Yesterday I started to build gnome3 desktop from port tree on my freshly installed FreeBSD 13.0. That was an interesting activity, I have to admit.

I had a whole bunch of errors during the process (about 10 or so) due to wrong flags, so I've been "traveling back in time" and fixing each single component with
make deinstall clean && make config && make install clean
Finally, after a day of getting familiar with FreeBSD, I saw a message:
Congratulations! You have successfully installed GNOME 3! (...)

It was one of the happiest moments of my life, and I am not joking. 😁

But then the system started to clean itself and... guess what? 🤣

Знімок екрана з 2021-05-13 13-26-00.png

I've been trying to understand, what happened and why did it happened on cleanup, but I couldn't.

I would highly appreciate the help from the Community. Maybe, my experience is going to be useful for someone else too.

Thank you in advantage!

Post your make.conf
I was surprised that I don't have /etc/make.conf at all. 🤣 I have no clue how on Earth the system managed to build itself without a "make.conf" file, but thank you very much for the way in which I should dig deeper... Anyway, that is what happens when a complete novice is trying to make things work without knowing enough. That's the other side of using GNU/Linux for too long and getting my brains stuck in my own comfort zone. :confused:

Anyway, now I have read both the make.conf(5) and the FreeBSD Wiki for understanding things a little better, but I feel too tired to go on for today. It will take me a lo-o-ong time to understand.

Thank you for the right direction and I strongly apologize both for being a noob and for bothering for no reason.

P. S. For now I just copied an example from /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf to /etc and hadn't changed anything yet. As soon as I will get better in this, I will mark the topic as "Solved".

Sorry once again.

LUA_VER_STR should be numeric and you have some alpha or other characters in it

make -V LUA_VER_STR

Code:
make LUA_VER_STR=bollocks
make: "/extra/sys/ports/devel/lua-bitop/Makefile" line 26: warning: String comparison operator should be either == or !=
make: "/extra/sys/ports/devel/lua-bitop/Makefile" line 26: Malformed conditional (${LUA_VER_STR} >= 53)
make: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

The example you copied is remarked everywhere, so it's just empty. Again, you don't need to have this file. If you run into problems building, the first thing you are recommended to do is to remove /etc/make.conf.

The example you copied is remarked everywhere, so it's just empty. Again, you don't need to have this file. If you run into problems building, the first thing you are recommended to do is to remove /etc/make.conf.
Got it, sir, thank you. So I should do as covacat says, am I right now? Or am I still posting stupid questions? :rolleyes:

covacat just showed where the error could come from. In your original make.conf (before you overwrote it with the empty example) you probably had errors in it.

covacat just showed where the error could come from. In your original make.conf (before you overwrote it with the empty example) you probably had errors in it.
There was no file till I copied an example. No file at all. And I didn't uncommented anything in the copied example file yet. That's actually what get me confused the most...

Let me start from the very beginning:
0) An error shown above appeared.
1) I came here and asked a question. Alain De Vos asked me to post my /etc/make.conf file, I have rebooted to FreeBSD and discovered that there wasn't any.
2) I have done some reading which got me even more confused, so I copied the /usr/local/share/examples/etc/make.conf into /etc, but hadn't touched anything inside it (didn't uncommented any of the lines).
3) The error is still here (of course), so now I am messed up. :confused:

Maybe one of the dependencies had an error in its Makefile by referencing an incorrect LUA version. There's been a few hundred commits to the ports tree in the past 48 hours so I can't find it on short notice. I would update the ports tree in any case. Removing all work directories (where the port is extracted and built from), rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work is actually much faster than doing a make clean.

Maybe one of the dependencies had an error in its Makefile by referencing an incorrect LUA version. There's been a few hundred commits to the ports tree in the past 48 hours so I can't find it on short notice. I would update the ports tree in any case. Removing all work directories (where the port is extracted and built from), rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work is actually much faster than doing a make clean.
Thank you! There's an answer! 😁 Marked as "solved". Wish you all a great day!

You don't need a make.conf so you are safe to remove it again (I understand you only added it to try to solve this issue). So what you had originally was perfectly correct.

It looks simply that a port Makefile (/usr/ports/devel/lua-bitop/Makefile) is a little broken. Likely it is only within the cleanup code so the error only actually got triggered during the clean stage.

If you did want to have a look at fixing it. The error output seems to mention line 27. Perhaps if you can fix it and mention it to the maintainer.

Edit: SirDice 's suggestion on cleanup is IMO a better (and more thorough) solution to cleaning up the ports from intermediate files.

You don't need a make.conf so you are safe to remove it again (I understand you only added it to try to solve this issue). So what you had originally was perfectly correct.

It looks simply that a port Makefile (/usr/ports/devel/lua-bitop/Makefile) is a little broken. Likely it is only within the cleanup code so the error only actually got triggered during the clean stage.

If you did want to have a look at fixing it. The error output seems to mention like 27. Perhaps if you can fix it and mention it to the maintainer.

Edit: SirDice 's suggestion on cleanup is IMO a better (and more thorough) solution to cleaning up the ports from intermediate files.
I hope that this topic is going to help the developers of FreeBSD to make this system even better, but I am enjoying it already. Thanks again! ;)
Perhaps if you can fix it and mention it to the maintainer.
Unfortunately, I am neither a programmer nor an enthusiast. I am just a guy who loves FOSS, and I am 100% novice at FreeBSD. That's my first install ever. Sorry. :rolleyes:

Back