Example/Tutorial: Pure Wayland Desktop (discussion)

this is a critical operation. Tell me the commands that I should issue,please. I don't want to risk to damage the system severely. I'm using the intel (i915kms) driver. And I propose you to update your tutorial,if it is needed.
/var/run/user/1001 is a directory for temporary run data. You can safely remove it and create it under the ownership of your normal user again.
Anyhow I will not spoon feed you on how to remove and create a directory and how to change permissions.
Look at rm(), mkdir() and chown(), or Google it ;)

And I propose you to update your tutorial,if it is needed.

*done*

1675452833801.png

/var/run/user/1001 is a directory for temporary run data. You can safely remove it and create it under the ownership of your normal user again.
Anyhow I will not spoon feed you on how to remove and create a directory and how to change permissions.
Look at rm(), mkdir() and chown(), or Google it ;)

I know how to do that,but there could be some crucial differences between issuing a rm/mkdir/chown commands and issuing these commands in/for this specific context. Anyway I want to try :

Code:
rm /var/run/user/1001
mkdir /var/run/user/1001
chown marietto:marietto /var/run/user/1001

is this correct ?

I know how to do that,but there could be some crucial differences between issuing a rm/mkdir/chown commands and issuing these commands in/for this specific context.
Nothing special here, it is only a temp dir. Just remove it and create it belonging to your non-root user. :)
(Sometimes some DEs like Plasma or SDDM itself have some weird SUID stuff I guess and the the directory has problems in some context.)

Anyhow remove it and create it, then you should be fine!

Nothing special here, it is only a temp dir. Just remove it and create it belonging to your non-root user. :)
(Sometimes some DEs like Plasma or SDDM itself have some weird SUID stuff I guess and the the directory has problems in some context.)

Anyhow remove it and create it, then you should be fine!

rm /var/run/user/1001
mkdir /var/run/user/1001

is this correct ?I hope that Xorg will not stop working doing that.

rm /var/run/user/1001
mkdir /var/run/user/1001

is this correct ?I hope that Xorg will not stop working doing that.
looks almost great 👍
you will require rm -rf though for removing the directory.
I removed that directory 100 times there never happened anything bad to me, as I said, just temporary data :)

Code:
root@marietto:/usr/home/marietto #  ls -la /var/run/user/1001

total 17
drwx------  9 marietto  marietto   10 Feb  3 21:52 .
drwxr-xr-x  5 root      wheel       5 Feb  3 21:42 ..
-rw-------  1 marietto  marietto  165 Feb  3 21:42 ICEauthority
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    3 Feb  3 21:42 at-spi
drwx------  3 marietto  marietto    3 Feb  3 21:42 dbus-1
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    3 Feb  3 21:49 dconf
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    6 Feb  3 21:42 gnupg
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    2 Feb  3 21:53 gvfsd
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    3 Feb  3 21:44 keyring
drwx------  2 marietto  marietto    4 Feb  3 21:42 pulse

Strang… Did you do any chmod in the process?
Anyhow can you try:
1. delete everything inside the directory
2. chmod 777 on the directory
3. try again

I Dont understand where is the problem,but if I issue your commands while Im running xorg and xfce and then I log out the system and I run the script,the 1001 folder is deleted. If I do the same after I have logged off from xorg and xfce4,it works as expected. Anyway Im running wayland. Some characters of my keyboard does not match,like the "Y" for the "Z" and the @. I tried to run Firefox : sometimes it is launched,sometimes not. I donßt understand what works and what doesnt. What should I do for example if I want to run blender ? this is what happens when I invoke it :

Code:
marietto@marietto /usr/home/marietto]$ blender
Unable to open a display
Abort trap (core dump created)

It is faster than xorg + xfce4. Im sure of this,man. My priority now is to fix the keys of my keyboard. Do you know how to do this ?

A lot of apps are not Wayland compatible, you need to enable xwayland for them.

Concerning the keyboard:
Have you set the correct locale in the startup script?

I will go to sleep now maybe tomorrow I‘ll write some details.

If you have explained how to enable xwayland,I did it. Yes,when you said that you use the deutch language,Ive chosen IT instead of DE. I changed xwayland=false to true on this file :

/home/marietto/.config/wayfire/wayfire.ini

just right now.

nope :

Code:
marietto@marietto:~ $ pcmanfm

(pcmanfm:11648): GLib-ERROR **: 23:13:06.367: ../glib/gmem.c:137: failed to allocate 18446744039306312921 bytes
Trace/BPT trap
Whatever you messed up, for me it works all the time. This is not a Wayland error.
Anyhow please continue in the discussion thread, that’s why it is there.

So,this is the error to fix :

Code:

(pcmanfm:11648): GLib-ERROR **: 23:13:06.367: ../glib/gmem.c:137: failed to allocate 18446744039306312921 bytes
Trace/BPT trap

I'm not sure that I have messed up something. It could be a bug. You know more than me that we are using different hardware and maybe software configuration. Did you enable xwayland ?

You could check if other programs have the same problem like,
nemo,thunar,caja,pcmanfm-qt
So if the problem is related to that specific program alone or not it is a general problem.

So,this is the error to fix :

Code:

Trace/BPT trap

I'm not sure that I have messed up something. It could be a bug. You know more than me that we are using different hardware and maybe software configuration. Did you enable xwayland ?
I have no idea since it works for me.
Maybe you want to file a bug against the port? I cannot help here.

P.S.: And no I did not enable XWayland, that's why the thread is called "pure Wayland desktop", pure means here "no X server apps".

P.S.: And no I did not enable XWayland, that's why the thread is called "pure Wayland desktop", pure means here "no X server apps".

I think that at this stage of development,since there are not so much pure wayland apps,I think it's a good idea to enable xwayland to fill the gap for sometime.

You could check if other programs have the same problem like,
nemo,thunar,caja,pcmanfm-qt
So if the problem is related to that specific program alone or not it is a general problem.

nemo = ok
thunar = ok
caja = Could not parse arguments: Can't open display:
pcmanfm-qt (opened within the LXterminal) = ok
pcmanfm (opened within the LXterminal) = ok
pcmanfm-qt (opened within the Mate Terminal) = nothing happens.
pcmanfm (opened within the Mate Terminal) = nop :

(pcmanfm:6688): GLib-ERROR **: 22:00:49.865: ../glib/gmem.c:137: failed to allocate 18446744039306312921 bytes
Trace/BPT trap

Back