Example/Tutorial: Pure Wayland Desktop (discussion)

Ports that use Qt5, Gtk, and SDL can be tried on top of Wayland. Any application that runs on top of any toolkit that's mentioned for use with Wayland on its website. Non-graphical, command-line ports are compatible too, obviously.

I realize that you said no xWayland is being used in your setup. However, for anyone interested, ports that rely purely on libxcb, and not libx11, can be tried for xwayland. There's very few of these, mostly X11 window managers, and very few desktop utilities, with the exception of Qt5 and Rust written applications linked to libxcb or the Rust implementation of it. Qt5 actually had switched to being libxcb more than any other port collection, but Qt is meant to be native on Wayland anyway. Libx11 ports may not work on newer compositors, so may need an older Wayland compositor.

The good thing about Wayland is that by requiring certain toolkits, for applications to be plugged in to, is that it has potential to remove multiple dependency chains of applications that were written with multiple toolkits and dependencies.

I realize that you said no xWayland is being used in your setup. However, for anyone interested, ports that rely purely on libxcb, and not libx11, can be tried for xwayland.

Yeah, for running with xWayland, you just need to change
Code:
xwayland = false
to
Code:
xwayland = true
in
~/.config/wayfire/wayfire.ini

I have not found out a good way to find out which apps then run under xWayland although they are capable of running under Wayland with the right parameters. (except [temporarily] switching off xWayland)

I have not found out a good way to find out which apps then run under xWayland although they are capable of running under Wayland with the right parameters. (except [temporarily] switching off xWayland)
Possibly, ports which have libxcb without libx11 as a dependency could work on xWayland. They wouldn't depend on direct dependencies (or calls) to libx11. At least one application has an option so it can be built that way.

Applications built purely on libxcb that can be tried on xWayland
  • windowmanagers: x11-wm/mcmwm, x11-wm/bspwm
  • desktop bars: x11/lemonbar, x11/polybar
  • x11/thingylaunch can be configured to be built with libxcb rather than libx11
  • x11/ly is a text display manager which uses libxcb, and that could be very useful for Wayland under xWayland. I tried this application for traditional Xorg, and I had difficulty logging out and back in, because the display interfered with the windowmanager.
  • xcbautolock was one, but it seems to have been deleted from ports.
WLC (Wayland Compositor) is the defunct predecessor to WLRoots (Wayland Roots), and the notes claim it had compatibility with libx11. wlroots doesn't, as the notes state it only has compatibility with libxcb. Weston (libWeston) should work with libxcb, however, I couldn't find documentation that specified whether it had support for libx11. The notes of the specific Wayland compositor would tell much, but sometimes difficult hard to find or may lack documentation. In this case, it may require a deeper look by grepping at source code of (lib)Weston. These of course would also require xWayland, as the specifications of the compositor are of a different program.

mcmwm would be convenient to try on xWayland, except it requires a terminal which there may not be any in ports that don't rely on libx11. bspwm's hotkey tool of x11/sxhkd could be used for either of these window managers. Thingylaunch could be tried with mcmwm, but it may work once, then, mcmwm's intended behavior is to log out after the terminal or launcher program is closed.

Code:
fgrep libx /usr/ports/[a-k]*/*/Makefile* | grep -v libx11 | grep libxcb
, then a similar command with different arguments to search the rest of the directory categories, can be used to search for such dependent ports. Then, the Makefiles may need closer inspection.

For some reason, when I built thingylaunch with libxcb to work on traditional Xorg with a traditional windowmanager, the program wasn't seemingly able launch applications. I think it didn't connect to those other applications, or there was something lacking in my configuration. Thingylaunch built in libxcb worked the last time I tried it on traditional Xorg.

Last edited:
I'll leave that up to elgrande. Keep in mind that responses are moderated in the Howto section though. I could move this thread, split off the reactions and move those to their own thread.
Well, since actually it is a howto, it probably makes sense to move it to the howto section.
Concerning the replies I have no hard preference. Moderated replies are fine to me, but having an extra "reaction thread" is also fine especially when discussions are arising. So the latter may be better for discussions :).

Possibly ports which have libxcb without libx11 as a dependency could work on xWayland. They wouldn't depend on direct dependencies (or calls) to libx11. At least one application has an option so it can be built that way.

I am wondering how to identify if an application that supports Wayland as well as xWayland currently runs under Wayland or xWayland.
E.g. chromium called by chrome would run under xWayland, but called by chrome --enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland would run natively under Wayland.

www/chromium uses a version of gtk, which gtk is a native toolkit on Wayland. That port's Makefile mentions Wayland a few times, so that's how one like that would work: on top of gtk and those Wayland arguments. Looking at the Chromium port, it's also under the Wayland category. psearch -c wayland shows many ports/applications intended to work with Wayland (Chromium, Firefox and Iridium included). Those would work natively on pure Wayland and not xWayland.

xWayland, however, is a bit different. It's a layer for X applications on Wayland. libx11 and libxcb support depends on the Wayland compositor, when used with the xwayland layer. If libxcb works, it may not even require those Wayland arguments, because it would be under the xWayland layer, rather than native Wayland. If more work is needed, it may need an xwayland category.

My question is, for an application that already works:
I run a Wayland compositor with xWayland enabled.
I click a .desktop file and start an application.
The application opens.
How to find out if the active application is running natively or under xWayland now?

You mean how to check or verify what it's using or has used at all for the whole time it runs under that desktop?

Other than that, I can go with port options, dependencies, inspecting Makefile's, and pkg info listing of a port. Also checking the source code if there's any possible calls to specific library or other code, which would narrow down which libraries are being used, but maybe not fully identify it.

As for ports in the virtual category of Wayland, they likely use Wayland natively, and don't rely on xWayland at all. Most are built on top of qt or gtk, so those are toolkits which run on it natively.

SDL is another contender for Wayland, so devel/sdl12-compat could be that a for SDL, as it's the only SDL named application in the category of Wayland. Unfortunately, that port is for SDL 1.2. Maybe, not enough investigation has been put into SDL on FreeBSD for Wayland yet. SDL is intended to run natively on Wayland. Edit: Other gaming libraries and engines were intended to use SDL as a compatibility layer, so they could be used on top of Wayland. It would be better if they develop their own layer for native Wayland use; maybe they eventually will.

Yeah I mean to check what the active application is currently using. (Not what a port would potentially use)
So something like a 'check-app-gui-provider <proess_nr>' command that returns 'Wayland' or 'X'. Or something like sysutils/pstree which lists the app either under under wayland or under X.
Should be possible, not? Maybe there is a wayland command showing all natively running apps or something like this?

I've tried to install and run wayland after having configured my system like you have suggested. Unfortunately for me it didn't work. I hope that you can help me to understand what's wrong. This is the errors that I get when I run your script as root :

Code:
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.531 - [src/main.cpp:249] Starting wayfire version v0.7.5
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.531 - [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:77] Seat opened with backend 'seatd'
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.531 - [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:212] Enabling seat
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.531 - [backend/session/session.c:109] Successfully loaded libseat session
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.533 - [backend/backend.c:220] Found 1 GPUs
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.534 - [backend/drm/backend.c:185] Initializing DRM backend for /dev/dri/card0 (i915)
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.534 - [backend/drm/drm.c:253] Found 3 DRM CRTCs
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.534 - [backend/drm/drm.c:180] Found 9 DRM planes
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.536 - [render/egl.c:201] Supported EGL client extensions: EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_device_base EGL_EXT_device_enumeration EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_KHR_debug EGL_KHR_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_KHR_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_xcb EGL_MESA_platform_gbm EGL_KHR_platform_gbm EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless
EE 02-02-23 22:07:35.537 - [EGL] command: eglQueryDevicesEXT, error: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003), message: "EGL_BAD_ALLOC error: In eglQueryDevicesEXT: Failed to allocate device list.
"
EE 02-02-23 22:07:35.537 - [EGL] command: eglQueryDevicesEXT, error: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003), message: "EGL_BAD_ALLOC error: In eglQueryDevicesEXT: Failed to allocate device list.
"
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.579 - [render/egl.c:347] Using EGL 1.5
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.579 - [render/egl.c:348] Supported EGL display extensions: EGL_ANDROID_blob_cache EGL_ANDROID_native_fence_sync EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import_modifiers EGL_IMG_context_priority EGL_KHR_cl_event2 EGL_KHR_config_attribs EGL_KHR_context_flush_control EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_KHR_create_context_no_error EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_gl_colorspace EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_3D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_no_config_context EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_surfaceless_context EGL_EXT_pixel_format_float EGL_KHR_wait_sync EGL_MESA_configless_context EGL_MESA_drm_image EGL_MESA_image_dma_buf_export EGL_MESA_query_driver EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.579 - [render/egl.c:350] Supported EGL device extensions: EGL_EXT_device_drm EGL_EXT_device_drm_render_node
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.579 - [render/egl.c:352] EGL vendor: Mesa Project
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.581 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:718] Creating GLES2 renderer
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.581 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:719] Using OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.3.4
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.581 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:720] GL vendor: Intel
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.581 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:721] GL renderer: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
II 02-02-23 22:07:35.581 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:722] Supported GLES2 extensions: GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_3D GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_depth_texture GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV GL_NV_conditional_render GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_NV_fbo_color_attachments GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_viewport_array GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_draw_buffers GL_NV_read_buffer GL_NV_read_depth GL_NV_read_depth_stencil GL_NV_read_stencil GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robustness GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_depth_texture_cube_map GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_sRGB_write_control GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_group_vote GL_EXT_shader_implicit_conversions GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_EXT_tessellation_point_size GL_EXT_tessellation_shader GL_INTEL_conservative_rasterization GL_INTEL_performance_query GL_ANDROID_extension_pack_es31a GL_EXT_base_instance GL_EXT_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_sub_texture GL_EXT_copy_image GL_EXT_draw_buffers_indexed GL_EXT_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_shader5 GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_primitive_bounding_box GL_EXT_render_snorm GL_EXT_shader_io_blocks GL_EXT_texture_border_clamp GL_EXT_texture_buffer GL_EXT_texture_cube_map_array GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_EXT_texture_view GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_NV_image_formats GL_NV_shader_noperspective_interpolation GL_OES_copy_image GL_OES_draw_buffers_indexed GL_OES_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_OES_gpu_shader5 GL_OES_primitive_bounding_box GL_OES_sample_shading GL_OES_sample_variables GL_OES_shader_io_blocks GL_OES_shader_multisample_interpolation GL_OES_tessellation_point_size GL_OES_tessellation_shader GL_OES_texture_border_clamp GL_OES_texture_buffer GL_OES_texture_cube_map_array GL_OES_texture_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_storage_multisample_2d_array GL_OES_texture_view GL_EXT_blend_func_extended GL_EXT_buffer_storage GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_geometry_point_size GL_EXT_geometry_shader GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_R8 GL_KHR_no_error GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_NV_fragment_shader_interlock GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_OES_geometry_point_size GL_OES_geometry_shader GL_OES_shader_image_atomic GL_EXT_clear_texture GL_EXT_clip_cull_distance GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc_srgb GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_EXT_clip_control GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_memory_object GL_EXT_memory_object_fd GL_EXT_semaphore GL_EXT_semaphore_fd GL_EXT_texture_compression_bptc GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_EXT_EGL_image_storage GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch_non_coherent GL_EXT_texture_shadow_lod GL_INTEL_blackhole_render GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y GL_NV_compute_shader_derivatives GL_EXT_demote_to_helper_invocation GL_EXT_depth_clamp GL_EXT_texture_query_lod GL_MESA_bgra
EE 02-02-23 22:07:35.592 - [src/main.cpp:76] Unable to drop root (we shouldn't be able to restore it after setuid), refusing to start

anyway,thanks for your tutorial,bro'.

instead,this is what happens when I run your script as normal user :

Code:
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.273 - [src/main.cpp:249] Starting wayfire version v0.7.5
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.273 - [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:77] Seat opened with backend 'seatd'
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.273 - [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:212] Enabling seat
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.273 - [backend/session/session.c:109] Successfully loaded libseat session
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.275 - [backend/backend.c:220] Found 1 GPUs
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.275 - [backend/drm/backend.c:185] Initializing DRM backend for /dev/dri/card0 (i915)
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.275 - [backend/drm/drm.c:253] Found 3 DRM CRTCs
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.275 - [backend/drm/drm.c:180] Found 9 DRM planes
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.278 - [render/egl.c:201] Supported EGL client extensions: EGL_EXT_platform_base EGL_EXT_device_base EGL_EXT_device_enumeration EGL_EXT_device_query EGL_KHR_client_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_EXT_client_extensions EGL_KHR_debug EGL_KHR_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_x11 EGL_EXT_platform_device EGL_KHR_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_wayland EGL_EXT_platform_xcb EGL_MESA_platform_gbm EGL_KHR_platform_gbm EGL_MESA_platform_surfaceless
EE 02-02-23 22:18:53.278 - [EGL] command: eglQueryDevicesEXT, error: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003), message: "EGL_BAD_ALLOC error: In eglQueryDevicesEXT: Failed to allocate device list.
"
EE 02-02-23 22:18:53.278 - [EGL] command: eglQueryDevicesEXT, error: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003), message: "EGL_BAD_ALLOC error: In eglQueryDevicesEXT: Failed to allocate device list.
"
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.320 - [render/egl.c:347] Using EGL 1.5
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.320 - [render/egl.c:348] Supported EGL display extensions: EGL_ANDROID_blob_cache EGL_ANDROID_native_fence_sync EGL_EXT_create_context_robustness EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import EGL_EXT_image_dma_buf_import_modifiers EGL_IMG_context_priority EGL_KHR_cl_event2 EGL_KHR_config_attribs EGL_KHR_context_flush_control EGL_KHR_create_context EGL_KHR_create_context_no_error EGL_KHR_fence_sync EGL_KHR_get_all_proc_addresses EGL_KHR_gl_colorspace EGL_KHR_gl_renderbuffer_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_2D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_3D_image EGL_KHR_gl_texture_cubemap_image EGL_KHR_image_base EGL_KHR_no_config_context EGL_KHR_reusable_sync EGL_KHR_surfaceless_context EGL_EXT_pixel_format_float EGL_KHR_wait_sync EGL_MESA_configless_context EGL_MESA_drm_image EGL_MESA_image_dma_buf_export EGL_MESA_query_driver EGL_WL_bind_wayland_display 
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.320 - [render/egl.c:350] Supported EGL device extensions: EGL_EXT_device_drm EGL_EXT_device_drm_render_node
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.320 - [render/egl.c:352] EGL vendor: Mesa Project
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.322 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:718] Creating GLES2 renderer
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.322 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:719] Using OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 22.3.4
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.322 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:720] GL vendor: Intel
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.322 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:721] GL renderer: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.322 - [render/gles2/renderer.c:722] Supported GLES2 extensions: GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc GL_EXT_texture_format_BGRA8888 GL_OES_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_texture GL_OES_depth24 GL_OES_element_index_uint GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap GL_OES_mapbuffer GL_OES_rgb8_rgba8 GL_OES_standard_derivatives GL_OES_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_3D GL_OES_texture_float GL_OES_texture_float_linear GL_OES_texture_half_float GL_OES_texture_half_float_linear GL_OES_texture_npot GL_OES_vertex_half_float GL_EXT_draw_instanced GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_OES_EGL_image GL_OES_depth_texture GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_OES_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_texture_type_2_10_10_10_REV GL_NV_conditional_render GL_OES_get_program_binary GL_APPLE_texture_max_level GL_EXT_discard_framebuffer GL_EXT_read_format_bgra GL_NV_pack_subimage GL_EXT_frag_depth GL_NV_fbo_color_attachments GL_OES_EGL_image_external GL_OES_EGL_sync GL_OES_vertex_array_object GL_OES_viewport_array GL_ANGLE_pack_reverse_row_order GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt3 GL_ANGLE_texture_compression_dxt5 GL_EXT_occlusion_query_boolean GL_EXT_robustness GL_EXT_texture_rg GL_EXT_unpack_subimage GL_NV_draw_buffers GL_NV_read_buffer GL_NV_read_depth GL_NV_read_depth_stencil GL_NV_read_stencil GL_EXT_draw_buffers GL_EXT_map_buffer_range GL_KHR_debug GL_KHR_robustness GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr GL_NV_pixel_buffer_object GL_OES_depth_texture_cube_map GL_OES_required_internalformat GL_OES_surfaceless_context GL_EXT_color_buffer_float GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_sRGB_write_control GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch GL_EXT_shader_group_vote GL_EXT_shader_implicit_conversions GL_EXT_shader_integer_mix GL_EXT_tessellation_point_size GL_EXT_tessellation_shader GL_INTEL_conservative_rasterization GL_INTEL_performance_query GL_ANDROID_extension_pack_es31a GL_EXT_base_instance GL_EXT_compressed_ETC1_RGB8_sub_texture GL_EXT_copy_image GL_EXT_draw_buffers_indexed GL_EXT_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_EXT_gpu_shader5 GL_EXT_polygon_offset_clamp GL_EXT_primitive_bounding_box GL_EXT_render_snorm GL_EXT_shader_io_blocks GL_EXT_texture_border_clamp GL_EXT_texture_buffer GL_EXT_texture_cube_map_array GL_EXT_texture_norm16 GL_EXT_texture_view GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent GL_KHR_context_flush_control GL_KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior GL_NV_image_formats GL_NV_shader_noperspective_interpolation GL_OES_copy_image GL_OES_draw_buffers_indexed GL_OES_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_OES_gpu_shader5 GL_OES_primitive_bounding_box GL_OES_sample_shading GL_OES_sample_variables GL_OES_shader_io_blocks GL_OES_shader_multisample_interpolation GL_OES_tessellation_point_size GL_OES_tessellation_shader GL_OES_texture_border_clamp GL_OES_texture_buffer GL_OES_texture_cube_map_array GL_OES_texture_stencil8 GL_OES_texture_storage_multisample_2d_array GL_OES_texture_view GL_EXT_blend_func_extended GL_EXT_buffer_storage GL_EXT_float_blend GL_EXT_geometry_point_size GL_EXT_geometry_shader GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_R8 GL_KHR_no_error GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_sliced_3d GL_NV_fragment_shader_interlock GL_OES_EGL_image_external_essl3 GL_OES_geometry_point_size GL_OES_geometry_shader GL_OES_shader_image_atomic GL_EXT_clear_texture GL_EXT_clip_cull_distance GL_EXT_disjoint_timer_query GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc_srgb GL_MESA_shader_integer_functions GL_EXT_clip_control GL_EXT_color_buffer_half_float GL_EXT_memory_object GL_EXT_memory_object_fd GL_EXT_semaphore GL_EXT_semaphore_fd GL_EXT_texture_compression_bptc GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp_to_edge GL_KHR_parallel_shader_compile GL_EXT_EGL_image_storage GL_EXT_shader_framebuffer_fetch_non_coherent GL_EXT_texture_shadow_lod GL_INTEL_blackhole_render GL_MESA_framebuffer_flip_y GL_NV_compute_shader_derivatives GL_EXT_demote_to_helper_invocation GL_EXT_depth_clamp GL_EXT_texture_query_lod GL_MESA_bgra 
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/default-config-backend.cpp:97] Using config file: /home/marietto/.config/wayfire/wayfire.ini
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:576] Reading XML configuration options from directory /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/grid.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/crosshair.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/wm-actions.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/fast-switcher.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.329 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/water.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/simple-tile.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/vswipe.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/expo.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/input.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/oswitch.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/follow-focus.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/extra-gestures.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/windecor.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/join-views.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/autorotate-iio.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/switcher.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/window-zoom.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/alpha.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/core.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.330 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/animate.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/background-view.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/cube.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/window-rules.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/idle.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/dbus_interface.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/output.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/showrepaint.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/mag.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/resize.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/workspace-names.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/move.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/vswitch.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/autostart.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/force-fullscreen.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/preserve-output.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/annotate.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/zoom.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/workarounds.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/place.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.331 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/bench.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/command.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/scale.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/blur.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/wobbly.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/wrot.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/decoration.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/fisheye.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/input-device.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/scale-title-filter.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/invert.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.332 - [src/file.cpp:589] Reading XML configuration options from file /usr/local/share/wayfire/metadata/keycolor.xml
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.334 - [backend/headless/backend.c:68] Creating headless backend
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.334 - [backend/headless/backend.c:16] Starting headless backend
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-1.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-2.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-3.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-4.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-5.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-6.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-7.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-8.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-9.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-10.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-11.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-12.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-13.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-14.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-15.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-16.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-17.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-18.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-19.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-20.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-21.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-22.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-23.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-24.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-25.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-26.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-27.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-28.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-29.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-30.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-31.lock check permissions
II 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [wayland] unable to open lockfile /var/run/user/1001/wayland-32.lock check permissions
EE 02-02-23 22:18:53.335 - [src/main.cpp:305] Failed to create wayland socket, exiting.

ziomario
For your error.
I think you need to remove /var/run/user/1001 and recreate it with ownership of your non root user.
That should fix your issue.

this is a critical operation. Tell me the commands that I should issue,please. I don't want to risk to damage the system severely. I'm using the intel (i915kms) driver. And I propose you to update your tutorial,if it is needed.

Back