Example/Tutorial: Pure Wayland Desktop (discussion)

Here is a list of ports. And their default options as they are build for the default freebsd packages,
discordo - WAYLAND: off
efl - WAYLAND: off
glfw - WAYLAND: off
gstreamer1-vaapi - WAYLAND: off
ibus - WAYLAND: off
imv - WAYLAND: off
libxine - WAYLAND: off
lives - WAYLAND: off
password-store - WAYLAND: off
rofi-wayland - TEST: off
xwayland - NVIDIA: off
xwayland-devel - NVIDIA: off

If one of your pograms has a dependency on one of them and it does not has the right option for your "specific-configuration". It "could" be a cause of problems.
In that case the solution is to build packages manually with coherent options.

Whatever you messed up, for me it works all the time. This is not a Wayland error.
Maybe you could write more specifically, which version of pcmanfm is working for you? I really don't think the gtk2 version is working for you...as for gtk3, maybe it works or not....

Maybe you could write more specifically, which version of pcmanfm is working for you? I really don't think the gtk2 version is working for you...as for gtk3, maybe it works or not....

1675702760045.png

😉

This error :

Code:
pcmanfm (opened within the Mate Terminal) = nop :

(pcmanfm:6688): GLib-ERROR **: 22:00:49.865: ../glib/gmem.c:137: failed to allocate 18446744039306312921 bytes
Trace/BPT trap

can't be caused by NVIDIA because I'm running Wayland on top of the i915 driver. My NVIDIA gpus are dedicated only for the bhyve / Linux VMs. And since pcmanfm works with X11 with and without NVIDIA but it does not work on Wayland without NVIDIA,the problem is,going by exclusion, probably Wayland,not X11 and/or NVIDIA.

This error :

Code:
pcmanfm (opened within the Mate Terminal) = nop :

(pcmanfm:6688): GLib-ERROR **: 22:00:49.865: ../glib/gmem.c:137: failed to allocate 18446744039306312921 bytes
Trace/BPT trap

can't be caused by NVIDIA because I'm running Wayland on top of the i915 driver. My NVIDIA gpus are dedicated only for the bhyve / Linux VMs. And since pcmanfm works with X11 with and without NVIDIA but it does not work on Wayland without NVIDIA,the problem is,going by exclusion, probably Wayland,not X11 and/or NVIDIA.
You are using the gtk3 version of pcmanfm?
If yes you might contact the maintenaner.

So this discussion died 2 months ago?

Just wondering how practicable this desktop approach is in real life to get work done.

Can someone repost the tutorial ? I'm not able to find it here or here :

I want to replicate the steps.

me,instead I avoid virtualbox as hell,because there is no tinkering,no fun with it,but with the linuxulator there is a lot.

Yes, that's correct, it works now. You need the nvidia-drm module. If I'm using Wayland, I do kldload nvidia-drm and can then, assuming everything else is ok, can run Wayland. However, with labwc, I have no mouse though if I try to click on a weblink it works. But in dwl, it works without problems. I can leave that module loaded and go back to X. I don't know why, and don't like Wayland enough to figure it out, but if I then unload the module, my machine reboots.

Or, you can add kld_list="nvidia-drm" to /etc/rc.conf if you're always running it.

I made a little page, detailing my trials and tribulations with it at https://srobb.net/wayland.html, but it doesn't really add anything that hasn't been mentioned here, and probably as much mention of Fedora,the other system I tried it on, as FreeBSD, though both are mentioned.

EDIT: For some reason it seems to have stopped working. I do service seatd onestart, and it comes back with a message No clients on seat0 to activate. But it was working, at least for a few days.
:)

ziomario May be unrelated, but how did you tackle with the "Unable to drop root" error when starting wayfire? Did you delete the `/var/run/user/1001` folder, then create it again?

Running this script as user :

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/zsh
env WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1 LIBSEAT_BACKEND=consolekit2 ck-launch-session dbus-run-session wayfire

Back