end of firefox?

I am helping a friend to get rid off his linux but its something weird here, there is no firefox on the packages
I tried even a fresh install, no f way, the pkg search returns only the firefox-esr-78 I am pretty sure I have (at the PC at home) the firefox 81.. thats weird, the ISO I am using is the 12.1-RELEASE ...

Firefox for amd64 have failed in the latest quarterly build but will be back in a short time in the repository after the next build.

Looking at the packages section on Freshports for www/firefox
It looks like there isn't a package in quarterly for FreeBSD 12.x-RELEASE on amd64. There is a package (81.0.1_2,2) on latest packages.
As an aside, I did see that v82 has been committed today, so that will probably be available tomorrow.

thanks folks! but this procedure is a bit BS, I mean if a new version of a package fail to build then there is no package in place... #facepalm

I don't understand. Unless it happened in the last half hour, Firefox 82 is available as a package and a port right now.

If you look closely at the Packages table, package for FreeBSD:12:amd64 quarterly isn't available yet, and only in version 81.x for latest.

firefox.jpeg

thanks guys for clarifying this, is there any way to follow a more "stable" (Not as "STABLE release")
repo? or in fact I am using wrong ISO for the installations (says "RELEASE" for sure..)

There is an answer already about this question

thanks guys for clarifying this, is there any way to follow a more "stable" (Not as "STABLE release")
repo? or in fact I am using wrong ISO for the installations (says "RELEASE" for sure..)
Your ISO doesn't have anything to do with it (or at least only in the sense if you choose to install the ports-tree from the ISO, which i wouldn't recommend).
The ISO contains (in that sense) just the core/bare OS. If you want to be up-to-date with the packages/programs you install afterwards/additionally (!!), just point your repo-conf /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf to latest instead of quarterly (or do it the correct way, and create your own repo conf in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf

The pkg system really is not in its best shape at the moment ... the servers are slow (at least in Europe) and quite alot of builds are broken. Using latest one cannot install chromium since the end of August

The pkg system really is not in its best shape at the moment ... the servers are slow (at least in Europe) and quite alot of builds are broken. Using latest one cannot install chromium since the end of August

Right now, chromium gets build again: http://beefy18.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=head-amd64-default&build=p552369_s366713 and then its possible to see what the problem is. BTW, what do you mean with slow? I was able to reach 37 MB/s on my server in Europe.

I have no issues with pkg at all for quite some time. Chromium however is a separate issue

Right now, chromium gets build again: http://beefy18.nyi.freebsd.org/build.html?mastername=head-amd64-default&build=p552369_s366713 and then its possible to see what the problem is.

That's the head, FreeBSD:13:amd64, build cluster jail. That jail has no problem building chromium. Here the result from the previous built (enter chromium in "Built ports" search box):

For FreeBSD:12:amd64 latest package repository builds look here:

The problem with chromium on that server jail is, the build is interrupted by a runaway process after ~32:05 hours, every time ( search in "Failed ports").

Whereas the quarterly FreeBSD:12:amd64 jail has no problems building the port between 21:00 and 28:00 hours:

Taking the build times between quarterly and latest jails in account it could be an indication that the latest jail host server hardware might be undersized in the equipment.

That's the head, FreeBSD:13:amd64, build cluster jail. That jail has no problem building chromium. Here the result from the previous built (enter chromium in "Built ports" search box):

For FreeBSD:12:amd64 latest package repository builds look here:

The problem with chromium on that server jail is, the build is interrupted by a runaway process after ~32:05 hours, every time ( search in "Failed ports").

Whereas the quarterly FreeBSD:12:amd64 jail has no problems building the port between 21:00 and 28:00 hours:

Taking the build times between quarterly and latest jails in account it could be an indication that the latest jail host server hardware might be undersized in the equipment.

That's right, i made a mistake :)

Thanks for the additional information. I use quarterly anyway so it's no problem, people who are sitting on the latest can still use your workaround ;)

With the exception of last January
Now I remember, even that one had nothing to do with ports/head.
Story: AFAIR Xorg switched from devu to udev. I had few bindcode in x11-wm/i3 config file. My keyword went south. I thought it was Xorg fault. I switched to an old branch and problem solved. For next few month, I kept the old branch! There was no progress. Finally I solved the problem, by changing some of the bindcode to bindsym in the i3 config file.

Back