Do you like minimalism ? ;)

I wonder if WMs like xmonad and stumpwm/clfswm are considered minimalistic. They need compiler and language-specific libraries that most likely will not be used by anything else unlike some WM that's written in python (e.g. qtile, partiwm). There are already many graphical apps in ports that depend on python and python libs.

john_doe said:
I wonder if WMs like xmonad and stumpwm/clfswm are considered minimalistic. They need compiler and language-specific libraries that most likely will not be used by anything else unlike some WM that's written in python (e.g. qtile, partiwm). There are already many graphical apps in ports that depend on python and python libs.

Good point.

One of my hobbyhorses is shared libraries and toolchains that aren't really shared. They only create the illusion of a lightweight executable.

Many so-called shared libraries are used only by the app that installed them, and should really be counted as part of that app's footprint.

The question should always be, what additional resources are required to run this software? If a library was already loaded and in use by several other apps, then it's fair to disregard it when figuring the system load. Otherwise, not. (This means, btw, that a shared library isn't really "shared" if the apps that use it are almost never run simultaneously. Almost nobody runs more than one music player at a time, so you don't get to discount that PulseAudio library as "shared". ;) )

Re GUI calculators, like galculator and the one in MS-Windows:

Copying the layout of the typical handheld device was a cute idea back when the desktop metaphor was introduced, but using point-and-click to enter individual digits is an extraordinarily bad UI. Those on-screen buttons are a waste of pixels, and the code behind them is unnecessary bloat.

(My opinion. YMMV.)

sk8harddiefast said:
i want to install fvwm2.Is like gnome, xfce etc or is more terminal like fluxbox?
It's definitely not like GNOME or Xfce (which are DEs, not just WMs) and I don't understand what you mean by "more terminal".
By default it looks very much like twm. But it's so customizable you can make it look like anything: eg1, eg2.

killasmurf86 said:
Bad example. Bough screenshots look very similar
I was just pointing the fact that it can look as "primitive" as twm, or as "modern" and "flashy" as those examples, i.e. twm-like vs. XYZ, not ABC vs. DEF vs....

And they look very similar because they're made by the same person.

i want to learn C :(
I always wanted to create my wm like dwm, ion etc.
Also i want to make one question i always was curious. All gui apps on unix, what languages they are?
I want to learn C but is too difficult and i know only the basics. Any simple language to start learning? like visual basic of windows on unix. (I don't want mono). Alternative?

C was developed at the Bell Labs (AT&T) for UNIX®. It is THE language in the Unix world.

IMO, it is still low-level enough and simple compared to the rest.

Most of FreeBSD's source is written in C, with some parts written in assembly, shell scripting, Perl scripting, Forth, etc.
As for GUI applications (as in the port system), they can be written in mostly anything. Check these Wikipedia pages for all the GTK+ and Qt bindings, for instance. Huh, you can even code them in assembly if you want.

A Unix programmer needs three main languages in his toolbox: Shell, Python and C. I recommend beginners learn them in that order.

The best book I've seen on shell scripting is by Arthur & Burns: Unix Shell Programming. Save money, buy yourself a used copy.

The official Python website has a good online tutorial, along with other references and book recommendations.

There are Qt and Gtk bindings for Python, and I recommend beginners use them rather than struggle with the C++ interfaces.

I no longer recommend C++ or Java for anything. But you'll need them if you're going to be hacking on other people's code. (I'm not a web programmer, and don't know if people are still using Javascript for that kind of thing. But you said you wanted to be a *Unix* programmer.)

Since this is a thread about minimalism, it's hard to recommend Perl rather than Python. :) You certainly don't need both. But again, you might eventually pick up some Perl in order to hack on someone else's code. Otherwise, don't bother.

Assembly is the coolest thing ever and I love it. But save it for much much later when you know what you're doing and why.

I have never recommended Forth (never learned it either.) You'll probably never need it, since it's only found in little niches well off the beaten track. Haskell and Occam are the same way. Don't misunderstand me: they're all fine languages with some excellent points in their favor. It's just that very few people use them, and a beginner is better advised to spend his time learning some of the more mainstream languages.

yes you are right about /bin/sh and C. But python,oh come on...
In my opinion, it is perl.
I mean it has its own man section , at least on OpenBSD

psycho said:

Well I know everyone loves Perl (and Pascal, lol?) in Russia, but Python has overgrown most other interpreted languages except maybe MS .net and its required to know in a lot of programming job offers.

psycho said:

Did you miss my joke about not being able to recommend Perl in a thread about minimalism? :p

there was some tuxpaint that was described as simple image editor. also, if it is not lack on resources, i would recommend gimp for most of things (well, i've meant for the things that you can not do with imagmagick :))
Because as for me all that *paint things are much more pain then wasting some more resources for gimp.
edit: also, found mtPaint.

i have gimp but i use it more for image editing.i dont like tuxpaint gui but xpaint & mtpaint seems the best solution for me.

GIMP is my ultimate and most favorite tool (after geany), my life would become dull and gray without it.

Btw, if you already use and have GIMP why would you need a paint-like app? Paint is only good for entertaining small kids :D.

Back