Do you like minimalism ? ;)

Packages with the less of depedencies or no dependencies :)
More for wm's like dwm,fluxbox,blackbox,ion etc
Window manager
dwm (none dependencie!)
File management
thunar,mc
Write cd/dvd/iso etc
xfburn
calculator
galculator because you don't need to download the half gnome for a simple calc :)
Editor
nedit,mousepad
xterm
rxvt-unicode
download videos
youtube-dl
chat
sk8harddiefast said:
Window manager
dwm (none dependencie!)
Actually it has x11/dmenu, which is not so common. x11-wm/fvwm2-devel has more dependencies but they are all very common (mostly X11 libraries and fonts) and will be installed by virtually every X application out there anyway.

sk8harddiefast said:
File management
thunar
I has some Xfce dependencies, but I still like it as it's one of the smallest, lighest and best FM. misc/mc is good too.

sk8harddiefast said:
Write cd/dvd/iso etc
xfburn
I only use base system utilities.

sk8harddiefast said:
calculator
galculator because you don't need to download the half gnome for a simple calc :)
Galculator is good. Python is good too for many operations.

sk8harddiefast said:
Editor
nedit
editors/leafpad (it requires many dependencies, but it's really simple) and (n)vi(1).

sk8harddiefast said:
If you know packages with the less of dependencies or no dependencies please post you too :)
Don't you listen to music? multimedia/mplayer rocks!

I'm all for minimalism :D
x11-wm/fvwm2-devel - Window manager
x11/rxvt-unicode - file manager & terminal emulator :D
shells/mksh - Very good 100% compatible shell, which beats the shit out of bash :D
multimedia/mplayer with multimedia/playd2 front end, I'd use multimedia/playd, if I implement shuffle somehow :d
burncd and [sysutils]
graphics/gpciview - image viewer
graphics/epdfview and for some pdfv, graphics/xpdf - pdf viewer
burncd(8), sysutils/dvd+rw-tools and sysutils/cdrtools - making and burning cds/dvds
editors/vim -The best editor in the world. using without gui (everything in console :D)

about full list of my apps you can see here

Also I'm using custom minimal kernel, and next time I rebuild my system, I will use stripped FreeBSD

sk8harddiefast said:
Do you like minimalism ? ;)
Of course: http://vermaden.deviantart.com/art/Minimalism-56099192

Window manager
I use openbox, but awesome is also very 'tiny'​

File management
I use nautilus (yes I am lazy), but rox-filer is also great and even smaller then thunar.​

Write cd/dvd/iso etc
I use burncd.sh and burndvd.sh scripts for that:
http://www.daemonwiki.org/howto:burning_cd_and_dvds_with_burncd

Calculator
galculator and/or xcalc

Editor
geany and/or vi

Terminal
xterm and/or urxvt (rxvt-unicode)

Other
dmenu for fast app launcher, surf for minimal browser (from creators of dwm).​

I love minimalism :)

Window Manager = dwm
File Manager = xterm
Text Editor = vim (would have been vi if there was a visual select feature :(
Web Browser = links

Everything else is in freebsd-base

Heck I even rewrote pkg_fetch (part of the portupgrade package) so that it didn't require perl etc... :p

If the freebsd console (not X11) could do 1280x800 resolution, I wouldn't even need to install Xorg haha.
I would just replace dwm with tmux and be a happier person.

kpedersen said:
If the freebsd console (not X11) could do 1280x800 resolution, I wouldn't even need to install Xorg haha.
IIRC, VESA + SC_PIXEL_MODE in kernel config should allow you to use higher resolutions. The former is available as a module, too.

john_doe said:
IIRC, VESA + SC_PIXEL_MODE in kernel config should allow you to use higher resolutions. The former is available as a module, too.

Thanks for the info but ideally I do not want to recompile the kernel.
If you know of another way, let me know :)

Yeah, watching video (via vgl(3)) here on 3yo amd64 at 1280x1024 neither lags nor consumes CPU more than 20%. Browsing web with SVG images takes less.

john_doe said:
Perhaps I'm doing smth wrong, but watching video here (3yo amd64) at 1280x1024 neither lags nor consumes CPU more than 20%. Browsing web with SVG images takes less. It lags when there are too many small images, w3mimgdisplay renders only one at time so on forums with many icons its better to turn them off (M-x display_image=toggle).

No there is nothing wrong, but as I said AMD64 uses different code and isn't as slow as i386.

kpedersen i agree absolutely with you!!! :)
I have links me too installed on my pc.First of all is more easier from lynx!!!! :p
If he could play youtube videos and see images without download them,I was using only this!!!!
Now i use opera.Is faster than mozilla,less dependencies,and i wait for the release of chromium on ports!!!!
I am waiting the day that i will make:
Code:
cd /usr/ports/www/chromium
make install clean
:)
Is the best browser for me :)
My screen resolution is 1920x1200 (26'' iiyama screen)
The only reason that i use X is because i cannot play a video or browse on youtube videos without X!!!
Also some apps need X to open :( like vuze,acroread etc.
I just download Tmux from ports but i cannot use it :(
I read man tmux but didn't help a lot.How to open 3-4 terminals and resize any of them i want?
Also it is possible to use snap font on console?
Tmux Is like dwm without the bar on top!!!!

sk8harddiefast said:
Now i use opera.Is faster than mozilla,less dependencies
And wait for 10.5 (AKA Evenes). It'll work with both Qt and GTK+ depending on what's installed!

sk8harddiefast said:
The only reason that i use X is because i cannot play a video or browse on youtube videos without X!!!
multimedia/mplayer plays FLVs (that you can often download using www/youtube_dl). And you could try it with graphics/aalib or graphics/libcaca.

sk8harddiefast said:
Also some apps need X to open :( like vuze,acroread etc.
Maybe you should ditch vuze and try net-p2p/transmission-daemon which contains transmission-remote. As for PDFs, john_doe already gave a solution.

sk8harddiefast said:
Tmux need X to run???
Is like dwm without the bar on top!!!!
It's like dwm with the bar at the bottom. :e

I think transmission-daemon is better than vuze!!!
Is really hardcore to download every video you want to see on youtube with youtube-dl and watch it with mplayer.The only reason i use youtube-dl is to download videos and convert them to mp3 with ffmpeg :)
There is also frostwire but youtube-dl is safer because i know exactly what i am downloading!
sk8harddiefast said:
And you could try it with graphics/aalib or graphics/libcaca.
That means i can see a video with mplayer without X?
Port details say this:
Code:
AA-lib is a low-level graphics library similar to many other libraries
except for the fact that AA-lib does not require a graphics device!  In
fact, no "graphical" output is possible.  AA-lib uses a modern, high-tech
ascii-art renderer in place of outmoded and cumbersome graphical output.

I'm using golem and netsurf.
Logged in using slim.
There's a lag of a second or two before the G3 responds due to WITNESS being enabled.
On the other machines, minimalism is a must in certain situations:
1) Running qemu. I need what I can for the VM.
2) Graphics rendering. Ray tracing will eat up the CPU.
3) Battery saving. The laptop battery will last an hour or less if I use KDE or Gnome. Blackbox, lxde, xfce, and others cut down on battery use.
4) Limited memory. One laptop has 256M RAM and I need to get the most out of it.
5) Older or other hardware. No description needed on this one.

live-cd Frenzy?I was not knowing that there is freebsd live-cd!

I had make a try to install it from here: http://chromium.jaggeri.com/
But i didn't make it :(
Also i was afraid that when chromium will released on ports an go to install it from there will conflict with this because this is in fact is a patent.
Also portupgrade will not deinstall it to install the chromium of ports because ports chromium is the first chromium so there is not "previous version" to deinstall.
Maybe i am wrong but i thought something like that.So i decided to wait

As long as you install any QT/GTK+ apps you are going against minimalism. See many people who setup tiled WM, bunch of terminals but then pop in opera/firefox or thunar with their QT/GTK+ tails and ruin the whole idia. If I use thunar then I dont bother with the whole "being minimal to the bone" religion and rather select my application by performance and usage comfort rather than just how much minimal it is.

Back