• Yes

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters

Jose

There is no binary answer to this. Trying to force "Is this right?" patterns is prompting for reactance. You will be shown that there is a "depends on".
Note the winky emoji in his post.

A missing item among others in the poll is: "I do not care."
Why read the thread and post in it if you don't care?

It would be nice to know how to not do this. Packages seem to default to quarterly (Which sometimes backports security updates?) and ports using portsnap (as the handbook suggests) defaults to... something very recent?
I found Vigole's recent post on the subject illuminating. Here's the mailing list message announcing the quarterly branch:

olli@

Aspiring Daemon
Developer

It would be nice to know how to not do this. Packages seem to default to quarterly (Which sometimes backports security updates?) and ports using portsnap (as the handbook suggests) defaults to... something very recent?
Portsnap (which is apparently going to be declared obsolete when the switch from Subversion to Git happens) does not support the notion of branches. It always gives you “head”, i.e. the most current state of the ports repository (*). This is the same as when using net/svnup with the “ports” keyword which checks out ports/head.

(*) Well, almost. The portsnap data is generated at certain intervals, so it may lag slightly behind the Subversion repository. This doesn’t matter for most practical purposes, though.

msplsh

Portsnap (which is apparently going to be declared obsolete when the switch from Subversion to Git happens) does not support the notion of branches.
I put a little more effort into this and found -b

So, maybe the handbook should instead of "here's one way, here's another" instead be like "here's how to get latest (portsnap), here's how to get quarterly (svnup)"

pkg install svnup
cd /usr/ports
svnup ports -b 2020Q3 -h svn.freebsd.org

Does that look right?

PacketMan

Aspiring Daemon

Take a look at the source code for synth -- I've seldom seen such clean and beautiful code. Even if developers do prefer to build with the poudriere script (and use jails instead of null mounts to allow building malicious/bad-actor ports) every programmer could benefit from learning a little bit from synth's Ada code. It is really sweet. And I have to add that I've seldom seen any package receive such good support as synth does here. Mention any problem with synth and the author will be show up as if by magic to help...

(Synth is the most straight-forward replacement for portmaster:
Code:
synth configure
synth upgrade-system
synth install <port>
ports-mgmt/synth is awesome, its all I use. And its creator John Marino is a master of code it seems. If it were to become unmaintained I would make figure out how to use ports-mgmt/poudriere plain and simple.

chrcol

olli@ I have already removed portsnap of my base system and have a cron'd script to update my quartery branch nightly, it also auto detects when the quarter changes.

I hope a new tool is created when they move to git, as git is so less user friendly and slower vs svn.