devel/bugzilla50 not compatible with MySQL 8

I just installed devel/bugzilla50 (via ports). It installed just fine from the FreeBSD package/ports point of view, but when I then run its "checksetup.pl" script (which is apparently needed to do Bugzilla's initial configuration), it fails when trying to create the table "groups":
Adding new table groups...
DBD::mysql::db do failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server vers
ion for the right syntax to use near 'groups (
id mediumint auto_increment PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
name varchar(255) N' at line 1 [for Statement "CREATE TABLE groups (
id mediumint auto_increment PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,
name varchar(255) NOT NULL,
description mediumtext NOT NULL,
isbuggroup tinyint NOT NULL,
userregexp tinytext DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
isactive tinyint DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL,
icon_url tinytext
) ENGINE = InnoDB CHARACTER SET utf8"] at Bugzilla/DB.pm line 837.
Bugzilla::DB::_bz_add_table_raw(Bugzilla::DB::Mysql=HASH(0x8645977b0), "groups", HASH(0x8646dd4e0)) called at Bugzi
lla/DB.pm line 796
Bugzilla::DB::bz_add_table(Bugzilla::DB::Mysql=HASH(0x8645977b0), "groups", HASH(0x8646dd4e0)) called at Bugzilla/D
B.pm line 509
Bugzilla::DB::bz_setup_database(Bugzilla::DB::Mysql=HASH(0x8645977b0)) called at Bugzilla/DB/Mysql.pm line 558
Bugzilla::DB::Mysql::bz_setup_database(Bugzilla::DB::Mysql=HASH(0x8645977b0)) called at ./checksetup.pl line 121
I poked around a little and discovered that this is because "groups" is now a reserved word in MySQL 8. Poking around further, I found that (at least apparently) this problem was fixed upstream in version 5.0.6, which was released four years ago. FreeBSD's latest version is 5.0.4.

I started manually modifying the code just to try to get it to work, e.g. changing "CREATE TABLE groups" to "CREATE TABLE `groups`", but there are a bunch of references to this table, and moreover there are some things that may be, but to me are not clearly, references to it (as I don't know Perl). And for all I know, there are other MySQL 8 incompatibilities (unrelated to "group") still in there anyway. So, I figured it wouldn't be terribly wise for me to continue.

Could this port please be updated? Is there any more information that I might be able to provide, or any other forums where I should point this issue out, in order to facilitate this? Thanks.

Is there a procedure to suggest that perhaps a port is not really maintained, despite having a listed maintainer? In hopes of getting it explicitly listed as unmaintained, perhaps increasing the chance that someone will decide to maintain it.

I emailed the listed maintainer almost two weeks ago about the issue, and have not received a reply.

Back