d-bus error with MATE and Cinnamon

Hello

I've installed MATE (the meta port) along with the dependencies (X.org etc) but I am unable to get it to start via exec mate-session and I get the following error:

failed to set mtrr:invalid argument
process 954: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up: failed to read machine uuid: failed to open /etc/machine-id: No such file or directory
D-bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print the backtrace

And I have everything setup according to this page. I did get a message after the installation (via pkg) of MATE was completed saying something about the 'sesion' method no longer being supported. Since I a, still on the console, it got scrolled up and I couldn't see what that was all about. Is there anything missing here?

I don't see how is that different when compared to version 10. Nonetheless, I am still getting the same D-bus related error. Could you or anyone who has faced this issue shed some light?

I just tried the same with cinnamon and I see the very same error. I think somehow my dbus got messed up (?).

Hello

I've installed MATE (the meta port) along with the dependencies (X.org etc) but I am unable to get it to start via exec mate-session and I get the following error:

And I have everything setup according to this page. I did get a message after the installation (via pkg) of MATE was completed saying something about the 'sesion' method no longer being supported. Since I a, still on the console, it got scrolled up and I couldn't see what that was all about. Is there anything missing here?
Hi Mate

i think this is what you are after

you need to add the dbus-uuidgen to /etc/machine-id

like so

Bash:
sudo dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id

Make sure to edit your /etc/rc.conf and add hal and dbus to your rc.conf as well

Bash:
sudo vim /etc/rc.conf

then add the code below to your rc.conf

Bash:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Try that and then do a reboot and hopefully it should fix your issue

Usually, putting dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf as described in the previous post and then doing # service dbus start is enough.

Usually, putting dbus_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf as described in the previous post and then doing # service dbus start is enough.
Hi Mate

agreed
but the error the user was getting was failed to read machine uuid: failed to open /etc/machine-id: No such file or directory
thats why i mentioned - sudo dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id

Yes. And normally, there is no need to explicitly run dbus-uuidgen, this is taken care of by the script when you run # service dbus start.

Back