Character set issue with ATEN CS64US KVM

88A4DFBA-D399-4169-AFD0-19DF0C07846B.jpeg
Dear FreeBSD Gurus!

How to fix issue with characters set (if I make a right conclusion), see the picture above.

The monitor are connected trough ATEN KVM CS64US (latest firmware updated).

May be some corrections in loader.conf needed ?

No character issues with 4 port ATEN CS84U (just annoying issue with mouse disconnecting when switching ports and needing to restart moused + devd - will post separately once fully diagnosed).

[EDIT] Mouse issue resolved by removing all moused lines from rc.conf

Last edited:
I've seen similar garbled output on systems when the terminal can't display UTF-8 characters, for example when syscons(4) is the console driver, which is exactly here the case, taking the command prompts red cursor (visible in the left bottom corner of the image), and *.UTF-8 locale is set, which is the norm of the "default" login class in all currently supported FreeBSD versions:

/etc/login.conf
Code:
default:\
        :charset=UTF-8:\
        :lang=C.UTF-8:

EDIT

Just remove the backslash from "umask" and comment the last lines in the "default" class in /etc/login.conf
Code:
default:\
        :umask=022:
#       :charset=UTF-8:\
#       :lang=C.UTF-8:

cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf

Exit logged in user, log in again.

/EDIT

Try setting a different "charset" and "lang" in the users ~/.login_conf, or globally from /etc/login.conf. If from there, don't forget to run cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf to rebuild the database.

List with locale -a all available (non-UTF-8 and UTF-8) locales (those are also found under /usr/share/locale), or specific, for Ukrainian for example locale -a | grep uk_UA .

See also handbook Chapter 25. Localization - i18n/L10n Usage and Setup

Back