Bug in forum when posting to a thread: Firefox on FreeBSD

Very often when I want to add a new post to an existing thread the Post Reply button doesn't reload the page. The page shows the "thinking" widget in the upper right corner and my post is still in the editing state. I need to reload the page manually. The post is being added but what I wrote is not deleted, the text is already pasted to a new post as if Firefox remembered that it hasn't been posted (albeit it was). I am using Firefox (latest version compiled from ports) on FreeBSD 10.2/10.3. Had anyone notice this as well?

I use Firefox, currently firefox-45.0.1_3,1, and have not seen this. Are you using add-ons like NoScript?

No, no special add-ons or plugins apart from LastPass, Evernote, and 2 file downloaders.

Posting a new thread seems to be fine, also posting to an existing thread sometimes works if the post contains some specific formattings (not sure which though). Most of the time, however, like 9 out of 10, it doesn't, which is quite annoying.

I asked you to post it here because it is not a bug when no-one else experiences this .. and so far that appears to be the case.

The fact that no one else found this thread and said that they see the same issue doesn't meant that no-one else experiences this and even more that it's not a bug.

Okay, let's try the easy things first. Do you have the nspluginwrapper Flash stuff installed? Because each time the plugin is updated, it needs nspluginwrapper -a -r && nspluginwrapper -a -i done as the user who runs Firefox.

If that is all current, is the same problem seen with other browsers?

Is it possible to try it out somewhere, I don't want to spam the forum with tests posts? Unless it's OK to add for testing and then remove?

And yes, I do have nspluginwrapper installed. Are you actually using Flash on this website?

BTW This is being added with Chromium for a difference.

Currently I try www/qupzilla-qt4. Without Java and Javascript the preview did not appear as usual. Now I have disabled Java and Javascript to see what happens if I press "Post Reply".
EDIT: Ok, it works :beer::). It should not Java related.
EDIT2: Now Java is completely off.
EDIT3: Everything is still fine.
EDIT4: It might required to leave the forum page to disable Java. At least alert works different now.

amiramix, this is a long shot, but is your home directory mounted from an NFS export?

I access my home directory over NFS, and I had fishy Firefox problems until I enabled rpc.lockd(8) on the NFS server. It seemed that Firefox wanted to lock things, and went insane in various ways when rpc.lockd(8) wasn't turned on.

But "Post Reply" still works. There is just no preview.
EDIT1: Ok, posting works without Java. I hope this test was not annoying.

When I check the new messages in the forum every morning, my espresso machine does not make nice cream. Where can I file a PR?

Yeah, worked with Chromium straight away.
[FONT=verdana]
Because each time the plugin is updated, it needs nspluginwrapper -a -r && nspluginwrapper -a -i done as the user who runs Firefox.
[/FONT]

Trying once more in Firefox after running the command that you suggested (will need to wait a minute before confirming if it works or not).

Currently I try www/qupzilla-qt4
EDIT4: It might required to leave the forum page to disable Java. At least alert works different now.

I don't think it's JavaScript-related as such. It's probably a bug somewhere in JavaScript code. I can try to disable JavaScript and see if that will make unreproducible, if it makes sense.

amiramix, this is a long shot, but is your home directory mounted from an NFS export?

No, not at all. I have a couple of folders mounted over NFS but they are nowhere near my home directory.

When I check the new messages in the forum every morning, my espresso machine does not make nice cream. Where can I file a PR?

I don't think the FreeBSD forum was designed to support that feature. It's barely capable of posting new posts (see the beginning of this thread), not mentioning anything more complicated. I would suggest making the cream before checking new posts on the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the FreeBSD forum was designed to support that feature. It's barely capable of posting new posts (see the beginning of this thread), not mentioning anything more complicated. I would suggest making the cream before checking new posts on the forum.

LOL. I will try your advice.

I'm currently using 41.0.2 and I've always found this problem present. "Post Reply" just idles. I need to go to "More Options" and work from there. I've just left it at that since forum software often has quirks that one needs to deal with.

I'm currently using 41.0.2 and I've always found this problem present. "Post Reply" just idles. I need to go to "More Options" and work from there. I've just left it at that since forum software often has quirks that one needs to deal with.

All right, so it's not only me who sees this problem then. Thanks for chipping in. When I go to More Options and post from there it works. But when I do it straight from the thread, it "ides", as you say. I don't think it's good enough for the forum to have "quirks" that one needs to deal with.

I don't think it's good enough for the forum to have "quirks" that one needs to deal with.
I suppose. But I think the real issue here is that there is a redundant posting process. This particular quirk is common with other software as well, for example vBulletin, and I have no idea where the idea came from or what its purpose is. In any case, dealing with bugs like this is the current state of forum software so I don't see any alternative unless I find a way to make something better myself.

When people say "without Java", I have to assume they mean "without Javascript", which is absolutely nothing to do with Java despite the name. But I use NoScript, and allow Javascript here. There is an option in the user Preferences to "use the Flash-based uploader" which is disabled in my preferences. Does having it enabled correspond with the problem people see?

I have had it enabled. Right now I disabled it, refreshed the page, and am writing this as a test. I will hit "Post Reply" and we'll see if it makes a difference.

Edit: By Golly! That worked.

Back