bhyve Windows VM much slower after upgrading to freebsd 12.1

Hoping to improve bhyve Windows Server disk IO performance I upgraded 11.1-Stable to 12.1-Release by building from source. But after that CrystalDiskMark benchmarks are less than half of the previous. For example, 765 vs 279 MB/s in Q32T1.

12.1 is supposed to include the latest the bhyve update in kernel. What could go wrong here?

I have never done patching a freebsd. Under /usr/src, my file version is different:
1595314545968.png

compared to the one in that thread:
1595314513800.png

The patch is for -CURRENT aka head, that's why that line is different compared to yours.

Here's a patch I use on 12.1-RELEASE-p7, this includes the APIC virtualization patch from the other thread which improves windows performance on some host systems tremendously, and also a newer patch which enables TRIM with virtio-blk devices.

To apply, make sure your source tree actually is -p7, go to /usr/src and issue
patch -p0 <~/bhyve-improvements-fbsd12.1-p7.diff.txt (assuming you stored the patch in ~).

Attachments

• bhyve-improvements-fbsd12.1-p7.diff.txt
    17.1 KB · Views: 135
Thanks. I found the current already ahead of those patches. If the rebuild takes the same length of time, then I would go with current.

Thanks. I found the current already ahead of those patches. If the rebuild takes the same length of time, then I would go with current.
If I understand that correctly, then you're going to run FreeBSD-CURRENT (aka 13 pre-pre-pre-RELEASE) with all bells & whistles & bugs in other parts of kernel & userland. That's probably not what you want. In contrast, Zirias patch is for 12.1-RELEASE-p7. Usually you do not want the latest & brightest, but a stable system.
EDIT 1. You can speed up your builds by using devel/ccache and setting MAKE_JOBS to sysctl hw.ncpu + 1
2. Standard disclaimer ;): install the docs: pkg install {de,en}-freebsd-doc, replace de with your native tongue, and point your favorite browser to /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd.
You can add to the alias section of /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf
Code:
  rmessage: query -i "[%C/%n-%v] %M",
and read through all pkg message|less.

OK. I use the following, how do I know it gives the p7?

Code:
svnlite checkout https://svn.freebsd.org/base/releng/12.1 /usr/src

That's the correct URL for 12.1-RELEASE plus security patches.

OK. I use the following, how do I know it gives the p7?
It gives you the latest patchlevel at any time, which happens to be -p7 right now ;) The reason I added -p7 to my diff file is that part of the diffs I already had applied locally was included with -p7, see here: https://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-20:13.bhyve.asc -- so you probably shouldn't use the diff attached here on any older patchlevel. But it should work just fine in future patchlevels, a "clash" like that is pretty unlikely.

The release was -p6 I freebsd-update'd to -p7 then svnlite up again then it checks out the a newer version (newer than 363035). Then the patch went through.

svnlite didn't checkout the latest version until release updated to -p7.

The release was -p6 I freebsd-update'd to -p7 then svnlite up again then it checks out the a newer version (newer than 363035). Then the patch went through.

svnlite didn't checkout the latest version until release updated to -p7.
Did you really rm -fr /usr/src? Seems that old .svn junk was still there with a certain revision locked?

Just for the records, this picture of an error shown above doesn't imply -p6. The patch would probably apply to -p6 as well (I just wouldn't recommend that), but even if not, patch would still find all the files to patch. They were all present in earlier patchlevels as well.

The patch has been done and the CrystalDiskMark benchmarks look better (Q32T1 400MB/s ~) but still fall behind 11.1-Stable.

Just for the records, this picture of an error shown above doesn't imply -p6. The patch would probably apply to -p6 as well (I just wouldn't recommend that), but even if not, patch would still find all the files to patch. They were all present in earlier patchlevels as well.

It doesn't but I have -p6 confirmed by uname -r. It stops there asking for location of file to patch.

It doesn't but I have -p6 confirmed by uname -r. It stops there asking for location of file to patch.
First of all, you are aware that just updating the source won't update your running system? So, uname -r won't tell you anything about the state of your /usr/src.
And then, again, the files to patch are there on any patchlevel of 12.1. You made some other mistake (like e.g. being in the wrong directory when trying to patch).

I now have to ask that: after applying the patch, did you actually compile and install? :eek:

First of all, you are aware that just updating the source won't update your running system? So, uname -r won't tell you anything about the state of your /usr/src.
And then, again, the files to patch are there on any patchlevel of 12.1. You made some other mistake (like e.g. being in the wrong directory when trying to patch).

I now have to ask that: after applying the patch, did you actually compile and install? :eek:

It is not updating the source, it is checkout (see I mentioned purging everything in /usr/src). I am not sure how svnlite determines the version being checked out in absence of -r but it seems it is not getting the latest release's source and probably running release is something it relies on.

As you said before applying the patch make sure to have -p7 that's why I came up with freebsd-update to -p7 first to minimize the risk. You later said it should work with -p6 (tested?) but it didn't work for me. The steps of handbook/makeworld.html were followed and after that (less than 2 hrs) uname -r does give a new release -p7. Otherwise doubled I/O benchmark is out of nowhere.

Back