Best BSD alternative(s) to FreeBSD?

Hello,

In any case you cannot run, install,... FreeBSD, which other option would you have ?
e.g. OpenBSD, NetBSD, ...

which one would be the best alternative ?

thank you!
With best regards

OpenBSD and NetBSD are both good. i used them in the past. To get a feeling of the different culture just look at their equivalent of our handbook.

I've run OpenBSD before, and was very happy with it. Honestly, even happier than with FreeBSD, because the system is even more clean and organized. I had to give up on it due to missing features.

The question is though: in what scenario would one not be able to run FreeBSD? There might be exotic hardware platforms where FreeBSD isn't supported, but I doubt that OpenBSD would support them. NetBSD has a long tradition of running on a lot of older and more diverse hardware.

In reality, the correct question to ask is not "which alternate BSD would one use in general". The correct question to ask is this: What is the intended hardware platform, what is the intended use of the system, what is the desired operation/maintenance/upgrade mode, and is the system for production or for education/tinkering/hobby. That will really determine what OS to use.

Like ralphbsz, I'm curious about the situation. OpenBSD often runs, with less work for X, mouse, and so on, on laptops. Otherwise, I'd like to hear the situation, but if it is a matter of the hardware not working well with FreeBSD, my first choice for another BSD would be OpenBSD.

Alternative to FreeBSD for what, and what architecture?

Server? Muen (if x86/64) + MirageOS/Solo5.
Desktop? DragonFlyBSD.
Ports system? Ravenports

Do you not know? Have you never tried? After all, you've been around here for a year, and constantly have something to say about everything on a daily basis, so I am curious why you feel the need to ask this question and have not discovered it on your own.
I think he's asking what our opinion is on the matter.

In any case you cannot run, install,... FreeBSD, which other option would you have ?
e.g. OpenBSD, NetBSD, ...

which one would be the best alternative ?

None actually ...

You can not replicate all these on anther system ... Linux is close but definitely Illumos/OpenBSD/NetBSD are not.

• WINE
  • ZFS
  • beadm
  • up-to-date packages (latest) with pkg(8)
  • Jails
  • performance
  • VirtualBox
  • Bhyve
  • FUSE
  • exFAT/ext4/NTFS filesystem support
  • GELI
  • GEOM framework
  • pkg(8) + Ports Framework with 32000+ packages

In the past:

• Opera 12.x and earlier browser was available for FreeBSD only.
  • I used Nvidia binary drivers (they are FreeBSD only)

As vermaden points out if you chose FreeBSD you had reasons to do so;)

But, here is a real world example where we needed to try another *BSD.

My cousin found a Sun workstation in our building, we wanted to install FreeBSD, we failed, here is the reference post. Since what we really wanted was pf, then we gave OpenBSD a try and it run. That machine is still running OpenBSD.

My cousin found a Sun workstation in our building, we wanted to install FreeBSD, we failed, here is the reference post. Since what we really wanted was pf, then we gave OpenBSD a try and it run. That machine is still running OpenBSD.

I guess OpenBSD and NetBSD have the best references.

Illumos and driver issues is common.

If its SUN workstation then its possible that Solaris or Illumos is the best choose.

If its SUN workstation then its possible that Solaris or Illumos is the best choose.

What is best depend no what you want;)
We wanted to use a *BSD, pf and we wanted a system we are already familiar with. OpenBSD was the first to run. NetBSD would have been next attempt.

P.S. I think i saw the documentation of Solaris many years ago. In print, it was very good AFAIremember. But, i never used it nor Illumos.

What is best depend no what you want;)
We wanted to use a *BSD, pf and we wanted a system we are already familiar with. OpenBSD was the first to run. NetBSD would have been next attempt.

P.S. I think i saw the documentation of Solaris many years ago. In print, it was very good AFAIremember. But, i never used it nor Illumos.
...actually, I would have attempted to run NetBSD (NB) first, and then OpenBSD, because NB could even run on a toaster ;)

what do you mean? More info would be helpful. IoT?
Internet of Things = IoT
Light bulbs with a web server are pretty common these days, and cheap too. Here's the first link that came up for me.
Also, IKEA has a whole line of them.

Internet of Things = IoT
Light bulbs with a web server are pretty common these days, and cheap too. Here's the first link that came up for me.
Also, IKEA has a whole line of them.

Internet of things
Description
The Internet of things is the extension of Internet connectivity into physical devices and everyday objects. Embedded with electronics, Internet connectivity, and other forms of hardware, these devices can communicate and interact with others over the Internet, and they can be remotely monitored and controlled. Wikipedia

What do you think about "Internet of things"? Do You like this thing?

What do you think about "Internet of things"? Do You like this thing?
I'm going to start another thread because we're getting too far off topic here. And yes, I have a thing or two to say about it, and I'm sure others do too. :)

...actually, I would have attempted to run NetBSD (NB) first, and then OpenBSD, because NB could even run on a toaster ;)

My cousin set up other servers with OpenBSD and FreeBSD in the past but has never used NetBSD. The SUN is his hardware so our order of testing was pretty much the one of lest surprise.

Back