CWM Any CWM users here? Which status bar do you use & best way to show VPN info?

I'm tempted to give vermaden's FreeBSD Desktop Series a try, but with x11-wm/cwm instead of x11-wm/openbox as windows manager.

I thought about the necessity of a status bar, but I can't really imagine having none and if only for date/time and network info. Having done some reading sticking to x11/dzen2 or vetelko/termbar may be the way to go.

Any idea what the easiest solution is to show VPN info in the status bar (using OpenVPN to connect to a VPN provider; name of used VPN node -> could be determined from the name of the used OpenVPN config file, IP address / gateway or just VPN on/off could be plausible things to be displayed)? I want to go for vermaden's network.sh script based approach for network management enhanced with added VPN management.

Thoughts about the use of x11-wm/cwm in general and the fact that the port uses the portable version of Leah Neukirchen which is based on version 6.3 dated with May 2018?

You can also try polybar for the 'bar' app.

... and please share your VPN mods to the network.sh once you finish them, it will be valuable addition to already quite feature rich network.sh script. Thanks in advance.

I replied to you comment here (sorry for late response):

Regards,
vermaden

I'm tempted to give vermaden's FreeBSD Desktop Series a try, but with x11-wm/cwm instead of x11-wm/openbox as windows manager.

I thought about the necessity of a status bar, but I can't really imagine having none and if only for date/time and network info. Having done some reading sticking to x11/dzen2 or vetelko/termbar may be the way to go.

Any idea what the easiest solution is to show VPN info in the status bar (using OpenVPN to connect to a VPN provider; name of used VPN node -> could be determined from the name of the used OpenVPN config file, IP address / gateway or just VPN on/off could be plausible things to be displayed)? I want to go for vermaden's network.sh script based approach for network management enhanced with added VPN management.

Thoughts about the use of x11-wm/cwm in general and the fact that the port uses the portable version of Leah Neukirchen which is based on version 6.3 dated with May 2018?
So have you had any success with using cwm on FreeBSD with a status bar? I use tint2 on Openbox and it integrates very well. I wonder how to go about using the same on cwm, particularly where to add "exec tint2" statement.

So have you had any success with using cwm on FreeBSD with a status bar? I use tint2 on Openbox and it integrates very well. I wonder how to go about using the same on cwm, particularly where to add "exec tint2" statement.
Didn't follow that idea in particular, but I have just received a new laptop on which I intend to install OpenBSD to use it with CWM from the base system instead.

Not sure about the bar yet though, a simple solution like oxbar or termbar comes to mind, but also just doing it with tmux may be an idea, as it has been mentioned here.

I only run a window manager from .xinitrc so that is my answer but not sure if you use a login manager. If that is the case, I have no idea, I have never used one.

where to add "exec tint2" statement.

I used to use tint2 as well, and I just add
Code:
tint2 &
to my xinitrc. You only want 'exec' for the last line that starts the wm. I believe openbox has an autostart file, but adding programs to xinitrc will work there too.

You can make your own "bar" by running things like xclock with the "-geometry" parameter.
Then in the cwmrc config file just use the "ignore" flag to get it to ignore that window.

I used to use tint2 as well, and I just add
Code:
tint2 &
to my xinitrc. You only want 'exec' for the last line that starts the wm. I believe openbox has an autostart file, but adding programs to xinitrc will work there too.
Thanks, this sounds good.

Didn't follow that idea in particular, but I have just received a new laptop on which I intend to install OpenBSD to use it with CWM from the base system instead.

Not sure about the bar yet though, a simple solution like oxbar or termbar comes to mind, but also just doing it with tmux may be an idea, as it has been mentioned here.
oxbar looks very elegant, I could not locate on fresh ports though. is there a way to install on FreeBSD?

Back