Solved Advice on how best to import older pool to FreeBSD(fury) 12.0

Hi all,

I started with OpenSolaris back in the day and upgraded to the 'personal' Solaris 11 Express 2010.11 without upgrading the ZFS version as I wanted to hold on to the 'universal' zfs version.

Now that this system is impossible to maintain in any safe manner, and having watched and played with FreeBSD over time, I would like to move the personal data pool to FreeBSD as the timing seems right in terms of my life.

I am looking for advice on the safest way to do this and what kind of gotcha's I might encounter.

Old pool structure and versions
zpool get version ztank
1602283469656.png

zfs get version ztank:
1602283626675.png

I have a backup of the data which is a single large 8T drive with all the data where I sent snapshots. The pool itself is:
1602283768253.png

I'm hoping for the ideal world where I simply export ztank from the OpenSolaris system and import it into a freshly installed FuryBSD as I do not have spare drives to attempt some sort of copy of all the data. Once all is working as expected, I would then look at upgrading the pool, but that's down the road.

Am I risking damage to the old pool during the import? What may go wrong?

How naïve am I? What would you do?

I did research before posting, but if you think I could have done better, please let me know.

Attachments

• 1602283594863.png
    1602283594863.png
    18 KB · Views: 115
I would use a solaris vm and try to import it with passthrough, maybe you can upgrade the pool and then import it in FreeBSD?

Thanks for the reply.
Is that because you don't think Freebsd 12 is capable of importing that version of ZFS?

I don't think FreeBSD can import zpools that don't have feature flags, i.e. Solaris zpools. I also know, because I've tried it, that ZFS on Ubuntu Linux refuses to import any Solaris pool above version 25, I see your's is version 28 so that might also apply to FreeBSD. You might want to have a look at this link, looks similar to what you are trying to do.

https://justinholcomb.me/blog/2016/02/28/migration-to-freebsd-part1.html
I see this in his notes:
"As zpool version 28 and zfs version 5 are the universally compatible version, we will create a pool using those versions. The way to specify on newer systems is:"
So if there is a hangup, might be because I havezfs version 3, maybe not the zpool version 28.

I appreciate the heads up on feature flags and will look at that.

Life keeps getting in the way timewise, but I will likely just try and import the pool as that doesn't seem likely to hurt anything on the pool itself if it fails.

Will report for historical purposes my results.

"As zpool version 28 and zfs version 5 are the universally compatible version"

That's interesting, if you have a spare SSD or HD set up a BSD system on that. On the Solaris system use a USB stick to create a Zpool 28 with ZFS 5 and try and import it to the BSD system.

Back